Broaddus: Cowboys Laying Ground Work for Trade Down

SMCowboy

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3910928 said:
sorry ABQ I don't listen to him -

and did he ever go againest - Sherrod - Carimi - Castonzo ?

just asking because the big 12 OT's give me a break

if Solder is the best then he better watch out in the NFL

or he won't be around for very long

You don't think that Russel Okung, Trent Williams and Jason Smith are very good tackles? Because Von Miller did go up against all three of those guys.

Gaede

Reaction score
Dash28;3911004 said:
So is Mosley guaranteeing we will NOT take Smith at all or just at #9?

If we trade down for Watt/Jordan then we have to get OT at 40 or trade back up (Carimi)

Sounds like just at #9.

Gotta think he's got a pretty good source on this one, since he'd look awfully foolish guaranteeing something like that. Mosley's no dummy--last time he mentioned that Cowboys were really interested in Smith he also acknowledged that that info could be misleading/smokescreen

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
UnoDallas;3910928 said:
sorry ABQ I don't listen to him -

and did he ever go againest - Sherrod - Carimi - Castonzo ?

just asking because the big 12 OT's give me a break...

That's a great point.

I just looked it up and Von Miller never played against Sherrod, Carimi or Castanzo.

So folks going to town on this quote from Miller aren't seeing how minor a claim it really is.

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
SMCowboy;3911012 said:
You don't think that Russel Okung, Trent Williams and Jason Smith are very good tackles? Because Von Miller did go up against all three of those guys.

True, but I'd like to read the Miller quote in context. Was he claiming that Solder was the best OT he faced this season or in his career?

SMCowboy

Reaction score
realtick;3911037 said:
True, but I'd like to read the Miller quote in context. Was he claiming that Solder was the best OT he faced this season or in his career?

He makes it pretty clear in his answer, but here is the question and answer again:

Scott Wright: Who is the best opposing player you’ve faced in your college career?

Von Miller: Nate Solder. He’s a beast. When you’re that big and you’re that quick, it’s real scary for guys like me. He can match you on every step. And I went against other guys: Jason Smith, Trent Williams, and Russell Okung. All those guys are great, but Nate Solder’s excellent.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
realtick;3911034 said:
So folks going to town on this quote from Miller aren't seeing how minor a claim it really is.

See the quote again, it is far from minor when he says he has faced Jason Smith, Russel Okung, and Trent Williams. But Solder was the toughest match up for him....

realtick

Benched
Reaction score
SMCowboy;3911060 said:
See the quote again, it is far from minor when he says he has faced Jason Smith, Russel Okung, and Trent Williams. But Solder was the toughest match up for him....

I stand corrected.

That's a pretty big endorsement for Solder then.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Funny how Carimi wasn't mentioned among guys they like, even though RJ has shown a propensity to love links to coaches he knows and Carimi is the type of wide-bodied, big-lower-bodied guy that Houck likes.

And back to Solder... I guess it might a reasonable point that he's an athlete and Miller is a smaller guy, so that's why he had success against him. Wonder if anyone has looked at the Mizzou-Colorado game last year to see how Solder did against Aldon Smith. In the box score I found, I saw where the CU QB got sacked one time, but the one I saw didn't give any details.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Good job, man, I didn't even check youtube.

See, I think he looks really good, and this was in 2009 when he was even more green. He did get whipped by Smith on the one inside move, but other than that he did well IMO. He's very quick and athletic, like Tyron Smith, only he's quick off the ball and out of his stance unlike Smith, who for some reason was a count slow out of his stance on a ton of plays. And in the one TD run from the 5 or so, he came off the ball and buried his man.

I dunno, guess I'm one of the few in the non-Solder-sucks club.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys like Costanzo and Solder more than most people on the board do. And I don't think they like Carimi and Sherrod as much as most people on this board do. But that's just my hunch.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
reddyuta;3911158 said:

the guy he was supposed to block took an inside move every time - an won each time

give me Smith - Castonzo - Carimi - Sherrod

these guys IMO are day one starter

Solder is not

but there's some concern about his weight. Solder was 319 at the Combine, but apparently had trouble keeping that weight on, as he lost 12 pounds in less than two weeks.

2/27/11: Nate Solder sucked on the bench press and still has some bad tape to answer for, but he really stood out at the Combine. At 6-8, 319, Solder ran a 4.97 and displayed incredible athleticism in the drills.

1/30/11: How is this guy the next Tony Boselli again? Nate Solder is constantly praised, yet he was easily beaten on numerous occasions in the Senior Bowl by Day 2 prospects like Sam Acho and Brooks Reed. He had some nice blocks in the running game, but overall, Solder was very unimpressive.

1/27/11: I don't think Nate Solder has been impressive at the Senior Bowl. But he gets a "stock up" because Mike Mayock keeps talking about Solder being the next Tony Boselli. Hopefully that's the pre-Texans Boselli.

10/2/10: Solder's height is going to be a problem at the next level because he doesn't have Orlando Pace's or Jonathan Ogden's elite level of agility. He struggles to bend at the knees and is often caught overextending.

4/3/10: A raw left tackle prospect who has tons of athleticism

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
So not a single person mentions that we could trade down and still land Tyron Smith?

DFWJC

Reaction score
SDogo;3911316 said:
So not a single person mentions that we could trade down and still land Tyron Smith?
I'd say it's a definite possibilty, but if we tried it I would hope we had a nice, safe backup plan.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
SDogo;3911316 said:
It's possible if we don't trade down too far.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
All for a trade down, but our track record in the 3rd is horrid. Hopefully any prospective draftee in that round is the opposite of recent history.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
The Titans like Dareus, Fairley, Miller, Peterson, and Green. I'm not sure about Julio Jones, but their GM has picked 27 SEC players. Kenny Britt is in trouble with the law. If Fairley is there, they will probably take him. However, they need DE, and I"ve heard (consistently) that they like Amukamara, too. They need a QB, and I'm hearing they are looking for trade partners (to move down from 8), too. That matches up with what was reported nationally, in regards to the trade down. A DE or Amukamara could come in a move down from 8.

I've heard Eagles (that should scare the Cowboys in regards to Tyron Smith), Chargers, and Patriots as possible trade partners for Tennessee. I've heard Packers to get back into the first round.

Washington wants to trade down. The Cowboys are between two teams who are looking for trade down options, too.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I'm beginning to think trade down is our best option. I think we will try our darndest to trade down.

I would love to see us pick up another third.

I like Tyron Smith, but I wouldn't be opposed to a defensive player.

I remember SDogo saying that the Cowboys were very interested in a player many had us linked with earlier. Maybe Prince? I really think that pick would make sense. Watt is also a very solid choice.

I keep coming back to Jordan, though. I can remember hearing reports from the Sr. Bowl saying our staff intently watched the drills he was in. He's also a name that seems to be flying below the radar.

Another possibility would be trading back to 17 or 18 and taking Pouncey.

This is a really interesting draft for us.

BIGDen

Dr. Freakasaurus
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;3910840 said:
If the cowboys execute the trade down properly, it is absolutely positively, the smartest option for us

If we somehow snag Watt and Carimi...that would be a tremendous coup

Indeed. This is probably one of the most ideal scenarios that can unfold. Two immediate starters that add much-needed toughness and physicality to this team.