Twitter: Broaddus done as Cowboy employee

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That seems unlikely. Eagleton is good at what he does, gets on fine with Broaddus, and probably wrote the most supportive tweet from the team for Broaddus.

If it was some sexual harassment issue, no one would have given Broaddus a positive farewell on twitter.

Mickey seems the most *likely* reason to me. Team demands Broaddus tones down the criticisms of Mickey, and Broaddus says KMA. Or just decides he isn't willing to bite his tongue on a show with Mickey anymore. Being on that show was not doing Broaddus any favors in terms of his body of work. He was screwed when they took him off The Break.
Broaddus was just pecking at Mickey during that last show. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't professional either. Pretty open hostility. They didn't play well together, and for some reason that escapes me, they like Mickey. They'll have to find someone who can get along better with Mickey as the football analyst for that show.

Derek and Nick are pros, and don't make it personal. Both Mickey and Broaddus do. Mickey and Broaddus needed to be split up. Derek and Nick needed to be split up to balance quality on the shows, but Derek probably wasn't having that. But for Broaddus, Talking Cowboys is the reject pile. Giving them Broaddus instead of Helman was the bone Derek was willing to throw.
BB has stated very plainly it wasn't Mickey and that he and Mickey argued for ratings basically like Skip and Steven A.
Said they are friends off the air.

At this point no reason not to take BB at his word that he wanted different challenges, likely including more than just Cowboys talk.
He's pretty big on other sports as well.

With Ben and Skin leaving there is a slot at 105.3 filled by KandC Masterpiece that may be open.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Watching football doesn’t mean you know football.
Mickey knows football but his job day 1 was to be a PR arm of the team.
He used to print the team newsletter for cripessake.
Most teams have these completely over the top homers.
Mickey is just called on it here because we have so many people that want real football talk not rah rah stuff with zero logic behind it.

I don't hate Mickey I just don't take him seriously at all.
If anything I'm jealous.
Dude has had a 20+ year career as a very well paid Cowboys shill.
Not a bad gig if you can get it and no less ridiculous than the stuff Skip or Stephen A say on the air for ratings.

Zman5

Reaction score
1. He definitely got fired. Comments by people that know him like Tim MacMahon tweeting that is was a bad decision by the Cowboys.

2. No send-off by co-workers on the shows.

Now Broaddus obviously claims it was his decision but what else would he say.

Reasons to get fired:
1. Opinions - Highly unlikely. The Cowboys are unlikely to fire someone during the season for that type of issue.

2. A female complained about harassment. This is the type of issue that would get him fired during the season.

3. Broaddus made a power-play to become the "boss" or tried to get Eagleton fired. Maybe but it would have to be a big ruckus for them to fire him during the season.

He may have gotten fired but if it was because of reason #2, there is no way he would have gotten hired this quickly by 105.3 radio station.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
BB has stated very plainly it wasn't Mickey and that he and Mickey argued for ratings basically like Skip and Steven A.
Said they are friends off the air.

At this point no reason not to take BB at his word that he wanted different challenges, likely including more than just Cowboys talk.
He's pretty big on other sports as well.

With Ben and Skin leaving there is a slot at 105.3 filled by KandC Masterpiece that may be open.

BB didn't look that friendly to Mickey to me on their last show.

Most people don't take public explanations of people "parting ways" with a company on face value, and there were many particular reasons not to do so in this case.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I can’t recall Derek being on the same show with Mickey. Anyone else know if they have on any regular basis?

I can only think on the occasional The Cowboys Talking Break.

Mickey's role is writer/analyst like Nick. Derek and Nick have been together for as long as I can remember. Maybe if you go back far enough, there was only 1 show with all of them on it. Seems likely, but I can't remember that.

(Ha! I bet Derek "Episode Number" Eagleton has them all stashed somewhere. It would be fun to see some old ones. They should have a season in review show every year.)

Mickey with Nick and Derek is probably an ok show. Derek won't let a show go into a ditch, and neither get emotional about disagreements. That's the magic of Derek and Nick. They're pros. Mickey would add a lot of historical Cowboy knowledge. I just find him annoying and not so bright.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I can’t recall Derek being on the same show with Mickey. Anyone else know if they have on any regular basis?
Derek and Nick are real life best friends, Nick can tolerate Mickey but in short sessions or cross shows only.

Mickey is their TV guy now and handles most of the interviews with Jason and Stephen for the TV branch, though Nick has been doing some of that as well lately.

Derek in my understanding, other than combined shows has not been on Talking Cowboys with Mickey, the break is his main and only show.

Derek is a true professional in my view, he liked BB so it could of very well been compensation, maybe BB felt like with all the work he puts in the site and shows they low balled him with respect to pay, hard to say.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Broaddus announced he’ll be on pre and postgame for 105.3 the fan. Mickey still does segments for both pre and post so if there was such bad blood the Cowboys wouldn’t approve for him to be on their official pre or postgame.

He also wouldn’t be on there if it was a discipline issue. 105.3 may be its own entity but they know they can’t piss the Cowboys off entirely.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
BB didn't look that friendly to Mickey to me on their last show.

Most people don't take public explanations of people "parting ways" with a company on face value, and there were many particular reasons not to do so in this case.
Zero reason other than boredom to keep coming up with goofy conspiracy theories.
BB has tweeted on the subject plenty.
His DC.com staff buddies have tweeted him publicly and warmly.

He had a partial gig lined up 2 days after the announcement....

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Zero reason other than boredom to keep coming up with goofy conspiracy theories.
BB has tweeted on the subject plenty.
His DC.com staff buddies have tweeted him publicly and warmly.

He had a partial gig lined up 2 days after the announcement....
And 105.3 this morning said more news to come shortly as a tease. He’s likely joining that 10-2 slot IMO.

JohnnyCulbreth

Reaction score
Did anyone else catch the “drinking on the job” reference by Derek and Nick on Wednesday’s The Break “Blitzing Brady”?

Nick was predicting the Cowboys to beat the Patriots by 10+. It went something like;
Derek - “You know it’s not proper to drink on the job, right?”
Nick - “Well somebody’s got to hang out with him now, right?”

And then it’s a bit of a jumbled mess for a few seconds. It’s at the 35 minute mark. Probably unrelated but made me wonder.

remdak

Reaction score
Derek and Nick are real life best friends, Nick can tolerate Mickey but in short sessions or cross shows only.

Mickey is their TV guy now and handles most of the interviews with Jason and Stephen for the TV branch, though Nick has been doing some of that as well lately.

Derek in my understanding, other than combined shows has not been on Talking Cowboys with Mickey, the break is his main and only show.

Derek is a true professional in my view, he liked BB so it could of very well been compensation, maybe BB felt like with all the work he puts in the site and shows they low balled him with respect to pay, hard to say.
I think "tolerate Mickey" is correct. Occasionally they do make remarks about sitting in the "homer's chair" (Mickey's chair) or his argumentative ways. We all have co-workers we just tolerate. Doesn't mean we hate them at least not in my case.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Did anyone else catch the “drinking on the job” reference by Derek and Nick on Wednesday’s The Break “Blitzing Brady”?

Nick was predicting the Cowboys to beat the Patriots by 10+. It went something like;
Derek - “You know it’s not proper to drink on the job, right?”
Nick - “Well somebody’s got to hang out with him now, right?”

And then it’s a bit of a jumbled mess for a few seconds. It’s at the 35 minute mark. Probably unrelated but made me wonder.
BB has stated his hard partying days are a thing of his past.

BulletBob

The Godfather
Reaction score
While I would normally resist the urge do jump to conclusions on something like this until the facts come out, why bother?

This thread has informed me that Bryan Broaddus was an alcoholic pedophile who preyed on pretty, underage girls via Twitter, sexually harassed the secretaries at the Star, had a blowout brawl with Mickey, and in the process of dissing his own boss Derek by looking elsewhere for a higher salary, was called into the CEO's office and unexpectedly fired by Jerry himself because he spoke out negatively against Jason.

Sounds legit. Thanks, fellas!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He may have gotten fired but if it was because of reason #2, there is no way he would have gotten hired this quickly by 105.3 radio station.

It would be a legal type issue for the Cowboys organization.

The Cowboys organization would not divulge the reasons to 105.3 or anyone due to legal confidentiality issues.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Issue #2
Harassment would be a legal issue for the Cowboys organization.

The Cowboys organization would not divulge the reasons he was fired to 105.3 or anyone due to legal confidentiality issues.

If it was harassment, the Cowboys would legally be required to take action; however, the Cowboys could still give him a good recommendation to another company.

Issue #3
The Eagleton tweet that I saw was generic and they type of thing somebody would say after they've fired an employee. Jerry has often gone over the top praising coaches that he just fired.

Maybe it was not Eagleton that Broaddus targeted, but I can definitely see him going over Eagleton's head if Eagleton is his direct supervisor.

I would not blame Broaddus if he did go over Eagleton's head because Broaddus despite often being a goof, has a higher profile/status than Eagleton outside of the Cowboys organization. There is near-zero chance that 105.3 or any other station would hire Eagleton but it was almost guaranteed that one of the 3 stations that have local DFW sports talk radio shows would hire Broaddus.

If Eagleton really was his "boss" then if I were in the same position as Broaddus, I would likely become uncomfortable with that situation considering his status is sports media relative to the status of Eagleton in sport media.

Issue #1
The lack of send-off would happen if he was fired regardless of the reason he was fired or who made the decision. That's just how companies operate.

The lack of send-off definitely indicates he was fired vs re-signing.