Twitter: Broaddus makes a good point why Mike brought in his own OL coach

ItzKelz

Reaction score
OL coach wont matter if Tyron is in and out of the line up again. Time to start rebuilding the OL through the draft and planning on the immediate future.

visionary

Reaction score
I meant more in the way of if-it-ain’t-broke-dont-fix-it kind of way.

Your homie, Garrett, broke just about to everything on this team

he was trash and has been kicked to the trash heap

there will be changes when competent people come in

get over the but hurt and be a Cowboys fan instead of the groupie of a prior HC

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think Colombo was the best coach on Garrett’s staff in 2019.

Having said that, Mike has the right to pick his staff and I have no problem moving on from Colombo. it’s actually a good thing cause you know Jerry wanted to keep Colombo.

it’s a good thing to fire our OL coach even though he’s doing an excellent job ?

so our new HC can hire one of his old coaching buddies?

I’m about winning football games, not hiring your old buddies.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Blocking for screens is is a big part of it and the Cowboys were not good at that...

Otherwise blocking is more about man or zone than specific to WCO or other offensive schemes.

The Cowboys run blocking was "schematically" terrible in 2019.

Columbo good at teaching individual technique and tough guy mentality but terrible from a schematic perspective.

The exact same run play can be radically different if just 2 player's assignments are switched (example...OB/LB & LG/DL vs OC/DL & LG/LB).

Depending on specifics, the blocking angles can be in favor of the OL or in favor of the DL.

A good run blocking scheme has more snaps where the OL has the blocking angle advantage than not...

Whatever...

Zeke and the offensive rankings were elite in 2019.

again.

now the HC blows all that up to hire his old coaching buddy.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

amazing.

this is like the #ZekeHate we had to listen too during Camp and Preseason.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I’m sorry. Let the HC blow up the number one offense in the NFL, and we can just all go along with it.

after all, he should be able to hire all of his old buddies.

jnday

Reaction score
Callahan is a master technician.
Callahan didn’t do squat until he had a bunch of first round talent to work with. The linemen that he helped pick out such as Livings were not even average. A lot of oline coaches can look good with first round talent.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
I want to see who comes in as WR coach and as RB coach. Maybe they can get Zeke back to 2016 form.

Edgar Bennett comes up for RB, Gary Brown is still here and apparently being vouched for by the RB's. But the offense is changing to a different system and Brown's experience with past schemes and blocking so I'm sure McCarthy knows who he wants.

McCarthy has gotten the coaching hierarchy hired properly so far as the major assistants have been organized, now it's the main position coaches to add like QB, WR, RB, LB and DB's. QB coaching might already be figured out between McCarthy and Moore. I don't think Kitna will be staying or that we have to get one at this point.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don’t even want to know why you thought this was a sensible thing to interject here.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Part of the problem with online to me was injuries, lots of change with guys and Fred getting his strength back

I'd say there's a very strong case to be made for that contention. We're about to find out what this line can do with an experienced coach at the helm. McCarthy picked out an OL coach who is well-suited to his schematic preferences. I'm optimistic that all will be fine with our new OL coach. Philbin likely has the skins on the wall to return this line to its former stature.

Given due time to prove themselves, the results should speak for well for them. I'm also very hopeful that a capable backup OT will be acquired in the 2020 NFL draft. That could easily turn out to be an extremely valuable asset to have. I'm sure it would serve us well in the event Tyron and/or La'el have injury episodes that require their recuperation.

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don’t even want to know why you thought this was a sensible thing to interject here.

Its very obvious. Because you were Garrett's #1 fan on the planet and defended him and insulted just about everyone that challenged you on it. Now that you have proven 100% wrong and misguided in your love and support for Garrett, lots of posters are probably going to make you remember what you did.

Did you really think you could avoid it? Maybe if you admit you were completely misguided people would be a little softer on you?

johneric8

Reaction score
Come on Boyz, hold em up! We all wanted the freckled puppet exterminated and we got our wish! We really should except that the beds been stripped and poop has been cleaned. Let's let Mike do his work and get excited about what most of us thought was impossible.

Jerry is not being Jerry at the moment let's roll in the clean sheets.
:oldcouple:

conner01

Reaction score
I'd say there's a very strong case to be made for that contention. We're about to find out what this line can do with an experienced coach at the helm. McCarthy picked out an OL coach who is well-suited to his schematic preferences. I'm optimistic that all will be fine with our new OL coach. Philbin likely has the skins on the wall to return this line to its former stature. Given due time to prove himself, the results should speak for themselves. I'm also very hopeful that a capable backup OT will be acquired in the 2020 NFL draft. It could easily turn out to be a valuable asset to have.
A young LT to be swing and eventually replace smith would be great
I think Fred will be much closer to old Fred too
A year when you can’t workout is huge to a position where strength is so important
Hopefully everyone can have a healthy year
The kid knight I think that played some RT looked like a guy who could develope though maybe RT

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
should be.

really?

why are we fixing something that’s NOT broken?
I guess more is needed from the assistant coaches.

MM obviously has had an entire year to think about who is available for his new staff.

So making this change impacts alot of what is expected.

Like all these hires..we have to see.