Broaddus makes interesting comment on Mazi Smith

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I think they just learned that even at a lower weight, Mazi is not a 3-tech.
Many DTs that were 1Ts have developed pass rush techniques and become players capable of playing 3T. Mazi will need more than a rookie season to determine if he's capable.

1942willys

Reaction score
his defenders say he is a read and react player
drilled to do that
My question is this: Was he never required to rush the passer and thus get off the snap quicker?

1942willys

Reaction score
He never had to rush the passer?

Really?

talk about a real leap for a first rd....

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
No, just a bunch of waste on a not so talented player. They will try anything and everything for 3 more years till this guy walks out the door and never plays again.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Many DTs that were 1Ts have developed pass rush techniques and become players capable of playing 3T. Mazi will need more than a rookie season to determine if he's capable.
Oh, I think he's got the movement skills to do it, but the mistake was trying to turn him into a 3 right off the bat. DTs are notoriously slow to develop. Quinn should have allowed him to play to his size while learning how to time the snap, etc. He seemed to see a 3-tech in there and wanted to get to it quickly.

lostar2009

Reaction score
The problem is he's a big fat sloppy lazy pushover.

He's not going to become some menacing beast just by putting on 20 pounds...he's just gonna be fatter, and die at 55 instead of 60.

Leave the guy alone. It's not HIS fault we took a 3rd or 4th round prospect in the 1st rd. The guy was meant to be a short yardage rotational guy that could play 20 to 25 snaps a game as a #3 or #4 DT. That's what he is. Some wrinkled old self-urinating idiot spending a 1st round pick on him doesn't magically change that.

You can spend a 1st round pick on a couch. It's still gonna be a couch. Actually...that's kinda what Jerruh did.
KC wanted to draft up for him. So other teams saw value in him

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Oddly enough I have had many different people talk about how that was also a part of a system thing on the D line in Michigan where they pretty much teach the D line to pause a second before attacking and I can only think it would be for them to be able to help with diagnosing a play because it seems so odd.
I saw 2 or 3 Michigan games and a highlight reel of Kris Jenkins. Didn't see a single instance of a Michigan DL remaining in their stances well after the snap.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
KC wanted to draft up for him. So other teams saw value in him
If KC REALLY wanted to trade up for him, they woulda traded up for him. This whole rumor is based on a story from a Cowboys Team Writer. Basically, it's jerruh telling this guy what to write, to make his idiot pick look better.

The Chiefs simply said they tried to trade up. The. Owboys Writer (jerruh) added the Mazi twist (pathetic). Essentially State media.

Andy Reid and the Chiefs are too classy to bother denying/comment on such nonsense....they just took the high road and ignored it.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Meh at some point you are a either a good football player who wants it bad enough to go get it or you are a JAG who is happy to relax and take home your bag. Pretty sure it will be the latter. This is Big D. This is the way.

JBS

Reaction score
Sounds like Mazi is going all in at the team cafeteria

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Early On todays Dallas Cowboys draft show, Broaddus makes an interesting comment about Mazi Smith.
Says he has talked to people in the building and they plan to use him as a 1 tech this year and putting weight back on.

I have to wonder if DQ sold the jones boys of Mazi being a 3 tech in order to draft him in the first. I say this because they have made it clear they are only interested in big DTs in the first if they can provide pass rush.
We have also heard that Zimmer wants this defense to be bigger and stronger.
The main thing about Mazi in college was his size, strength and that they used him as a run stuffing DT and not a pass rusher.

Below is the line to the video and the comment is within the first 5-10 minutes if you want to watch and get the exact comment.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/draft-show-running-the-race
Brian also said that no one told Mazi to lose all that weight. He did that in his own.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
So much hype with this 1st rounder.

I kind of bought into it.

Until preseason.