Broaddus makes interesting comment on Mazi Smith

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Early On todays Dallas Cowboys draft show, Broaddus makes an interesting comment about Mazi Smith.
Says he has talked to people in the building and they plan to use him as a 1 tech this year and putting weight back on.

I have to wonder if DQ sold the jones boys of Mazi being a 3 tech in order to draft him in the first. I say this because they have made it clear they are only interested in big DTs in the first if they can provide pass rush.
We have also heard that Zimmer wants this defense to be bigger and stronger.
The main thing about Mazi in college was his size, strength and that they used him as a run stuffing DT and not a pass rusher.

Below is the line to the video and the comment is within the first 5-10 minutes if you want to watch and get the exact comment.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/draft-show-running-the-race
My best guess is this isn't a Jones thing at all.
It ties to the DC at the time.
How do they view defense and the jobs and the values.
DQ wanted pass rushers period.
He played very small and very fast.

Zim plays very big, very strong.
He wants a DT that can catch an IOL and hold them at a dead stop. He literally has 1 DL does not move from the LOS even in pass rush.
Some good youtube break downs on it.

Cmac

Reaction score
Should we have confidence in the draft after this?

lostar2009

Reaction score
If KC REALLY wanted to trade up for him, they woulda traded up for him. This whole rumor is based on a story from a Cowboys Team Writer. Basically, it's jerruh telling this guy what to write, to make his idiot pick look better.

The Chiefs simply said they tried to trade up. The. Owboys Writer (jerruh) added the Mazi twist (pathetic). Essentially State media.

Andy Reid and the Chiefs are too classy to bother denying/comment on such nonsense....they just took the high road and ignored it.
Lol

glimmerman

Reaction score
Quinn had early success getting to the qb. Then teams figured us out and instead of trying to stop the run I think he just wanted the whole line getting up field but they forget to look for the rb.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
sol-goss-body-768x1024-1.jpg
Last known photo of Mazi Smith...

conner01

Reaction score
Early On todays Dallas Cowboys draft show, Broaddus makes an interesting comment about Mazi Smith.
Says he has talked to people in the building and they plan to use him as a 1 tech this year and putting weight back on.

I have to wonder if DQ sold the jones boys of Mazi being a 3 tech in order to draft him in the first. I say this because they have made it clear they are only interested in big DTs in the first if they can provide pass rush.
The main thing about Mazi in college was his size, strength and that they used him as a run stuffing DT and not a pass rusher.

Below is the line to the video and the comment is within the first 5-10 minutes if you want to watch and get the exact comment.

DQ loved the athlete and thought he could be a pass rusher. But if you watch him, even in college he’s the last guy off the snaps. He’s a plugger so you fatten him up, hopefully teach him a bit and get the most out of him while he’s here

tunahelper

Reaction score
This goes to @Bobhaze’s point about the team having no cohesive plan. There is no plan on defense, just like on offense, at least Special Teams is going well.
Exactly. Have you heard the term walk around coach in Dallas?

Well we have a walk around GM and his son Bubba. Listening to others is important but Jerry doesn't have football team building skills.
He listens to others and in the end he still fails. Leadership is important and in time it will show.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Just about every pre-draft analysis says the same thing about Mazi:

* Slow reaction time off the snap and doesn't have much initial quickness off the ball.
* Profiles as a two-down run-stuffing interior defensive lineman in the NFL.
* Doesn't pass rush with much of a plan or a motor. He'll quit if his first move doesn't work.
* Slow reaction to movement gets him sealed.
* Unlikely to see many passing downs as a pro
* He’s more of a Day 2 talent with exciting upside than a plug-and-play starter.

Mazi was never viewed as a pass rusher, just a big strong body in the middle stuffing the run and occupying OL. The big selling point according to McClay was he was a plug and play immediate starter which is the exact opposite of the many draft profiles and analysis'.

quickccc

Reaction score

Thanks for Sharing,..

I strongly assume the new DC regime will make a U turn on Mazi future plan with re-bulking him up.
Restarting him again and grooming him as the run stuffing 1 tech the club drafted him to be.

- I'm also gonna strongly assume Quinn got so frustrated with Mazi's notorious slow ball snap get off that they
resorted to having him lose weight and bulk to have a chance to improve his get off.

- They thought they could " coach" him to rid of that slow get off that Mazi has had since college .
Be it techniques, stance, angles, etc. but they simple could Not coach him up, coach it out of him.

- In short, I truly believe the Mazi weight loss plan was more for an attempt to improve the off ball quickness - not
an intent to force Mazi to be a 3 tech.

- DQ has failed... now it's on Zim and DL coach Ngonia to begin a new start, a new process.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I still have high hopes for Mazi Smith. But I'm a patient man....

GMO415

Reaction score
Give him a tray of cheese burgers then. Anything is better than last year.