Twitter: Broaddus on Jarwin

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's Jerry Dumbo GM Jones at his best. You would be better off keeping Cooper, letting Schultz walk, and sign OJ Howard, and Donald Parham to one year prove it deals with options. Do not do one year and done deals without options or you end up letting Robert Quinn go to the Bears and collect 18.5 sacks.

lol so we are keeping coop and signing OJ Howard and parham and being in even worse cap situation. Ok mr. gm

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
A lot of fans like to write that there are a dime a dozen Schultz players out there. I disagree, I am more along with thinking that there are a dime a dozen Jarwin players. Tall lanky TEs someone thought were going to be the next receiving threat but never quite got there. I think we’ll be OK if we can keep Schultz and let go of Jarwin.

CWR

Reaction score
More so,

Cutting Coop to resign Gallup, Schultz and some of Wilson or Kearse

Schultz and Gallup will be more costly than Coop. Wilson, Kearse etc, are all going to need to come from some other cap maneuvering.

Point being if we are trying to spend wisely I'm not sure 11 million on Schultz fits the bill.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It is true. Schultz is a mediocre tight end, who isn’t a very good blocker and he has inflated stats because he was the 4th or 5th passing option and defenses were more worried about the receivers.

he is mediocre. I don’t care what his “projected” contract numbers are. Just because other people may want to overpay him, doesn’t mean the cowboys should.

he is a dime a dozen TE. An easily replaceable player.

let’s stop talking about him like he is a stud. You mention the draft class. Well Schultz himself was a 4th rounder. You can get TE’a with his talent level in the 3rd/4th round.

he isn’t a top 5 TE and cutting a guy like Cooper to pay him top 5 money even for one season is insanity.

this front office doesn’t know what they’re doing.

Also. If you franchise tag him. To what end? He becomes a FA again the next year. Are the cowboys winning the Super Bowl this year? Cutting Cooper and/or tank but keeping Schultz helps attain that goal this year?

if not, they need to resign him or let him walk next year?

If they’re going to go for it. I would rather they keep everyone, restructure some deals and get aggressive and do it.

cutting Cooper and/or tank to help keep an inferior player like Schultz is my main issue. It makes no sense.
Fans are not always up to date or armed with good data.
The Dallas front office is both.
They are also cheap and feckless but they do have the data you simply do not.

Dalton Schultz is not a top 5 TE, true. He's more in the 6-10 range right now and could dip with any injury at all.
But in his limited starting experience he has been very solid.
His receiving skills have blossomed and he is a passable (in this era) but not good blocker.

But in a league with 32 starters he is top 1/3 of those starters.
And he is 25.

Will he ever hit the ceiling of Cooper or Tank?? Very unlikely. But are Tank and Cooper both at this age and with all this NFL wear and tear unlikely to also meet their prior best selves? Yes. 100%.

Again, I'd keep all these guys because the cap just rose about 30M and will likely do so again the next couple years. Cap hell is a lie in a climate of explosive growth.

BUT, you keep 25 year old starters where possible. And 10M a year is likely going to be the AVERAGE starting TE salary in about 12 months.
All that said Schultz hasn't been a top 10 TE for more than a minute so you don't want to lock that up long-term yet.
Take the deep breath, eat the 10.8 tag and let him prove last year was the baseline.
It's not an awful plan.

Tank is underrated by many but he is also a guy playing with heart and emotion that has beat his body to death playing SDE at 260 pounds and crashing into everyone possible.
NFL life sucks but he has been very well paid for those efforts. And it wasn't going to happen forever at this rate. Guys who sign mega deals and play anything but QB are unlikely to see the end of them.
Ignore Tank as a name and think of Fletcher Cox in Philly. Same type deal.

Amari was always going to be on the chopping block once Dallas had CeeDee Lamb fall to them. 22M a year in cap hits for a 29 year old WR that is not a top 7 guy is more hilarious than paying a 25 year starting TE 10Ma year I promise.

Dallas is gambling here and honestly, I don't think any gamble was needed but the only GMs worse than Jerry/Stephen combo are the fans.
You don't overpay for big name 29 year olds.
Though I would totally love to rent some like the Rams and Bucs and others have done.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Schultz and Gallup will be more costly than Coop. Wilson, Kearse etc, are all going to need to come from some other cap maneuvering.

Point being if we are trying to spend wisely I'm not sure 11 million on Schultz fits the bill.
No they won't.
Thats not how caps work.

Dallas will pay 11M for Dalton.
Then sign Gallup to say 5 years and 55M.... but year cap hit in that will be more like 5M than 11M.
A resigned Wilson might get 4 years and 26M but year 1 will more like 4M.

Now math it up: 20M you save on Cooper in 2022 salary cap cost becomes 11 to Dalton, 5 to Gallup, 4 to Wilson.

Reactions: CWR

glimmerman

Reaction score
I thought he was back. I know he wasn’t used. And we were successful when he was playing using a certain personnel package. Don’t remember if it was the 12 personnel or another. But it was during our winning streak. He was injured in the vikings game. After that we quit using that personnel. Not saying our winning streak was because of Jarwin. Lol. But that personnel and formation was very good for us.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Fans are not always up to date or armed with good data.
The Dallas front office is both.
They are also cheap and feckless but they do have the data you simply do not.

Dalton Schultz is not a top 5 TE, true. He's more in the 6-10 range right now and could dip with any injury at all.
But in his limited starting experience he has been very solid.
His receiving skills have blossomed and he is a passable (in this era) but not good blocker.

But in a league with 32 starters he is top 1/3 of those starters.
And he is 25.

Will he ever hit the ceiling of Cooper or Tank?? Very unlikely. But are Tank and Cooper both at this age and with all this NFL wear and tear unlikely to also meet their prior best selves? Yes. 100%.

Again, I'd keep all these guys because the cap just rose about 30M and will likely do so again the next couple years. Cap hell is a lie in a climate of explosive growth.

BUT, you keep 25 year old starters where possible. And 10M a year is likely going to be the AVERAGE starting TE salary in about 12 months.
All that said Schultz hasn't been a top 10 TE for more than a minute so you don't want to lock that up long-term yet.
Take the deep breath, eat the 10.8 tag and let him prove last year was the baseline.
It's not an awful plan.

Tank is underrated by many but he is also a guy playing with heart and emotion that has beat his body to death playing SDE at 260 pounds and crashing into everyone possible.
NFL life sucks but he has been very well paid for those efforts. And it wasn't going to happen forever at this rate. Guys who sign mega deals and play anything but QB are unlikely to see the end of them.
Ignore Tank as a name and think of Fletcher Cox in Philly. Same type deal.

Amari was always going to be on the chopping block once Dallas had CeeDee Lamb fall to them. 22M a year in cap hits for a 29 year old WR that is not a top 7 guy is more hilarious than paying a 25 year starting TE 10Ma year I promise.

Dallas is gambling here and honestly, I don't think any gamble was needed but the only GMs worse than Jerry/Stephen combo are the fans.
You don't overpay for big name 29 year olds.
Though I would totally love to rent some like the Rams and Bucs and others have done.

Schultz is going to be paid a guaranteed top 5 TE money deal for one season and the cowboys are going to cut the superior player (Cooper) to pay for it.

It’s dumb cap management and decision making.

They will then be in the same boat next year and forced to either extend Schultz or let him walk.

I’m not interested in arguing where Schultz is as far as #8 or #15 in the league.

tight ends of his skill level are easily replaceable. Franchising him makes no sense. That should only be done with cream of the crop players and QB’s. Guys that are hard to replace so you can’t risk letting them walk. Schultz isn’t that caliber of player.

If they insist on cutting Cooper, use that money for a harder to replace position or bring in fresh blood.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Will I raise a stink about Schultz getting the tag? No.

Do I think we should tag him and pay top five money? No.

I pay that money to guys like Kittle or Kelce.

CWR

Reaction score
No they won't.
Thats not how caps work.

Dallas will pay 11M for Dalton.
Then sign Gallup to say 5 years and 55M.... but year cap hit in that will be more like 5M than 11M.
A resigned Wilson might get 4 years and 26M but year 1 will more like 4M.

Now math it up: 20M you save on Cooper in 2022 salary cap cost becomes 11 to Dalton, 5 to Gallup, 4 to Wilson.

Fair point, but if we aren't talking about average per year, we can also restructure Coop. It's not as if keeping him means we can't pay those guys. His money can be manipulated in the same way.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Dalton isn't a top 10 TE, but this franchise will pay him like he's in the top 5. Then, when they've pushed his salary down the road "refinancing" they'll take a financial hit, let the player walk to another team and we'll get nothing in return.

It's literally the same **** this front office always does.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I don't get it.
Schultz is one dimensional.
We need a TE that can block too.
Which dimension is that?

I'm still trying to figure out what he does well besides happen to be unaccounted for in the flat (probably by design) when Dak panics.

Catch stats are ridiculously overrated except in fantasy, which is what our management is doing.... so, nevermind I guess.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Also keep in mind we signed Kazee, Neal and Hooker last year for the 2022 tag price of Daks woobie for when he scared.

Or....Schultz will cost roughly 20 times more than McKeon. Is he 20 times better? Nope.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
“Stephen, get the checkbook! Now’s the time to strike and extend Jarwin!” - Jerruh

CWR

Reaction score
I thought he was back. I know he wasn’t used. And we were successful when he was playing using a certain personnel package. Don’t remember if it was the 12 personnel or another. But it was during our winning streak. He was injured in the vikings game. After that we quit using that personnel. Not saying our winning streak was because of Jarwin. Lol. But that personnel and formation was very good for us.

Yes it was, and I think you're correct. It is 12 personnel, with 2 TEs on the field. With all our talent at WR, we were best in that package. Maybe that's part of the argument for parting with Coop and retaining Schultz?

When the season ended and I thought of how much of the offense went through the TE, it made me think of the impact a guy like Pitts could've had here. Not gonna lie, if that is part of our plan going forward I'd be excited to get a stud TE in the draft.

Unfortunately, we have so many other needs. I am baffled at the idea of losing not only Coop but both starting DEs. It almost feels like we are playing analytics, "Money Ball," but thats way beyond the Jones boys and a better fit for baseball. Lol

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yes it was, and I think you're correct. It is 12 personnel, with 2 TEs on the field. With all our talent at WR, we were best in that package. Maybe that's part of the argument for parting with Coop and retaining Schultz?

When the season ended and I thought of how much of the offense went through the TE, it made me think of the impact a guy like Pitts could've had here. Not gonna lie, if that is part of our plan going forward I'd be excited to get a stud TE in the draft.

Unfortunately, we have so many other needs. I am baffled at the idea of losing not only Coop but both starting DEs. It almost feels like we are playing analytics, "Money Ball," but thats way beyond the Jones boys and a better fit for baseball. Lol
Hoping we do get at least a good blocking TE in the draft or FA. Looks like Coop will be gone. If we can’t get Gregory back on a 1 or 2 year deal then I don’t see us cutting D-Law. We can’t lose both. We will use Parsons at DE some for sure. Need maybe for LB. Retain Gallup and Wilson. Some of our rookies are going to need to step up and hope for a few instant starters with the first 2 or 3 draft picks. A lot is going to ride on this O-Line getting solidified..