Broaddus talks Cowboys OTA observation on Trey Lance and other young players

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
At the 10:00 minute mark, Bryan Broaddus mentions Trey Lance's practice performance at OTAs on Monday, June 3, 2024. From the 10:00 - 13:05 minute mark is when Broaddus talks about Trey Lance.

Trey Lance took over the offense from inside field goal range after Dak drove the offense down the field. Lance took over so the coaches could see him perform inside the red zone. Lance drove the offense inside the red zone but sadly threw an interception inside the endzone along the far left side. :oops:

Trey Lance needs reps and needs to keep improving. Cowboys need to know whether he will be able to supplant Cooper Rush and take over that backup QB spot or not. This is what the OTAs, mini-camp, training camp and preseason will be for.

Bryan Broaddus also talked a lot about other players (particularly rookies and 2nd and 3rd year players), how they are being used and how they look so far. Good 41 minute show for those who have the time to watch it.

Qcard

Reaction score
At the 10:00 minute mark, Bryan Broaddus mentions Trey Lance's practice performance at OTAs on Monday, June 3, 2024. From the 10:00 - 13:05 minute mark is when Broaddus talks about Trey Lance.

Trey Lance took over the offense from inside field goal range after Dak drove the offense down the field. Lance took over so the coaches could see him perform inside the red zone. Lance drove the offense inside the red zone but sadly threw an interception inside the endzone along the far left side. :oops:

Trey Lance needs reps and needs to keep improving. Cowboys need to know whether he will be able to supplant Cooper Rush and take over that backup QB spot or not. This is what the OTAs, mini-camp, training camp and preseason will be for.

Bryan Broaddus also talked a lot about other players (particularly rookies and 2nd and 3rd year players), how they are being used and how they look so far. Good 41 minute show for those who have the time to watch it.

Trey Lance aka Skinny Dak has thrown less than 400 pass attempts in starts.... including College :facepalm:

plymkr

Reaction score
Yes, Trey needs all the reps he can get. This is his chance to show what he's got.
I’ve said this before in other threads but I really wish Trey would have played in this ongoing UFL season instead of working out in Dallas. He needs reps reps and more reps and any game action would be huge for him. I feel right now it would be better for him to be playing in any game and getting reps than staying in Dallas to the learn the offense. JMO

Honestly what I would really like, and this is regardless of who QB1 is, is I’d want Trey to play UFL for a season or 2 then come back to the Cowboys. Like I wish we could hold his rights but let him play in the UFL. Realistically thinking if Dak signed another 4 year deal, hopefully for 5 for cap purposes, and Trey played in the UFL getting experience and then when Dak retires or his next contract is up Trey would be more ready to play or we’d know if he’s able to play on this level. And if Dak doesn’t resign then insert any other QB and do the same thing and let Trey get some years under his belt in the minor league.

On a completely selfish note it would give me a reason to watch the UFL, lol.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I’ve said this before in other threads but I really wish Trey would have played in this ongoing UFL season instead of working out in Dallas. He needs reps reps and more reps and any game action would be huge for him. I feel right now it would be better for him to be playing in any game and getting reps than staying in Dallas to the learn the offense. JMO

Honestly what I would really like, and this is regardless of who QB1 is, is I’d want Trey to play UFL for a season or 2 then come back to the Cowboys. Like I wish we could hold his rights but let him play in the UFL. Realistically thinking if Dak signed another 4 year deal, hopefully for 5 for cap purposes, and Trey played in the UFL getting experience and then when Dak retires or his next contract is up Trey would be more ready to play or we’d know if he’s able to play on this level. And if Dak doesn’t resign then insert any other QB and do the same thing and let Trey get some years under his belt in the minor league.

Great idea brother! If only it could work out that way.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I do think the NFL could use a development league.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
After hearing all the bs about how lance is mastering the offense he throws an easy interception. Let me also point out the reason they pulled Dak and put Lance in once inside field goal range was because when Lance had opportunity to run the offense he couldn't move the ball. The cowboys overpaid because another team was dumb enough to make him a 1st round pick. It's year 4 for lance and he still can't win a backup job. Time to move on

jwitten82

Reaction score
Trey Lance aka Skinny Dak has thrown less than 400 pass attempts in starts.... including College :facepalm:
Im no fan of Dak, but im also no fan of Lance. I cant believe the 49ers drafted him that early. He had one good college season in 2019, wouldn't even call it a great season. That year in 16 games started he averaged 18 pass attempts per game, 12 completions a game, and 174 yards a game.

Absolutely crazy how NFL scouts/GM's can look at those passing numbers and think he was worth a first round pick, 3rd overall at that

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thanks for adding the timestamps.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Yall bout to let these people talk yall into Trey Lance aren't you? He ain't taking Dak's job. At best, he's being talked up for trade bait.