Broaddus talks Cowboys OTA observation on Trey Lance and other young players

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
At the 10:00 minute mark, Bryan Broaddus mentions Trey Lance's practice performance at OTAs on Monday, June 3, 2024. From the 10:00 - 13:05 minute mark is when Broaddus talks about Trey Lance.

Trey Lance took over the offense from inside field goal range after Dak drove the offense down the field. Lance took over so the coaches could see him perform inside the red zone. Lance drove the offense inside the red zone but sadly threw an interception inside the endzone along the far left side. :oops:

Trey Lance needs reps and needs to keep improving. Cowboys need to know whether he will be able to supplant Cooper Rush and take over that backup QB spot or not. This is what the OTAs, mini-camp, training camp and preseason will be for.

Bryan Broaddus also talked a lot about other players (particularly rookies and 2nd and 3rd year players), how they are being used and how they look so far. Good 41 minute show for those who have the time to watch it.

Thank you AC for bringing that content was insightful and appreciated.

I think most would agree that we really don't care who starts, sounds a bit funny I know but think about it.

We need Lance to shine during Preseason games, and I don't care anymore about the Lance vs Dak battle, we already know what we have with Dak, his franchise value.

If we are smart, we showcase Lance and actually set him up for success, during preseason, it's rather easy to showcase Lance and let him take advantage during preseason games, let him flash some running ability.

Hang him out there and if we gain value or actually discover that he could be a potential starter here than win win,,,

Even the most hard-core Dak lovers know that father time ends all discussion eventually either way so you better start trying to develop some future talent at QB.......
Always.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
At the 10:00 minute mark, Bryan Broaddus mentions Trey Lance's practice performance at OTAs on Monday, June 3, 2024. From the 10:00 - 13:05 minute mark is when Broaddus talks about Trey Lance.

Trey Lance took over the offense from inside field goal range after Dak drove the offense down the field. Lance took over so the coaches could see him perform inside the red zone. Lance drove the offense inside the red zone but sadly threw an interception inside the endzone along the far left side. :oops:

Trey Lance needs reps and needs to keep improving. Cowboys need to know whether he will be able to supplant Cooper Rush and take over that backup QB spot or not. This is what the OTAs, mini-camp, training camp and preseason will be for.

Bryan Broaddus also talked a lot about other players (particularly rookies and 2nd and 3rd year players), how they are being used and how they look so far. Good 41 minute show for those who have the time to watch it.

I give Lance 2 years before he's driving a UPS truck.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Play was stopped in the endzone. Might have been taken all the way back 100+ yards for a pick-6 TD if the whistle had not been blown.
AC it's the underwear Olympics.
If they scrimmage inTC and they are allowed to go 100% you'll get a decent read. Pre season is the next read.
After 3 pre season games you'll have a decent idea of what you've got.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im no fan of Dak, but im also no fan of Lance. I cant believe the 49ers drafted him that early. He had one good college season in 2019, wouldn't even call it a great season. That year in 16 games started he averaged 18 pass attempts per game, 12 completions a game, and 174 yards a game.

Absolutely crazy how NFL scouts/GM's can look at those passing numbers and think he was worth a first round pick, 3rd overall at that
Drafting players isn't always about college production. It's about pro potential. Especially at QB.

They are typically over drafted each year for a reason. There isn't enough good ones.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Drafting players isn't always about college production. It's about pro potential. Especially at QB.

They are typically over drafted each year for a reason. There isn't enough good ones.
That's even dumber in my opinion. The NFL is full of good athletes who had potential, if they didn't produce in college the odds aren't in their favor

Chasing6

Reaction score
AC it's the underwear Olympics.
If they scrimmage inTC and they are allowed to go 100% you'll get a decent read. Pre season is the next read.
After 3 pre season games you'll have a decent idea of what you've got.
The underwear Olympics should be easier to execute.

sbark

Reaction score
I give Lance 2 years before he's driving a UPS truck.
Ill take that bet.... at worst he will bounce around the nfl as a backup or prac sq.....decent back ups are as hard to find as starters.
Especially with new 3rd qb rule
Heck, The head band kid we had from JMU is still in the nfl,
Look at minn last yr....the brought in qb after qb when cousins went down.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Ill take that bet.... at worst he will bounce around the nfl as a backup or prac sq.....decent back ups are as hard to find as starters.
Especially with new 3rd qb rule
Heck, The head band kid we had from JMU is still in the nfl,
Look at minn last yr....the brought in qb after qb when cousins went down.
Who wants an inexperienced back up QB?