Broaddus talks Cowboys OTA observation on Trey Lance and other young players

baltcowboy

Reaction score
At the 10:00 minute mark, Bryan Broaddus mentions Trey Lance's practice performance at OTAs on Monday, June 3, 2024. From the 10:00 - 13:05 minute mark is when Broaddus talks about Trey Lance.

Trey Lance took over the offense from inside field goal range after Dak drove the offense down the field. Lance took over so the coaches could see him perform inside the red zone. Lance drove the offense inside the red zone but sadly threw an interception inside the endzone along the far left side. :oops:

Trey Lance needs reps and needs to keep improving. Cowboys need to know whether he will be able to supplant Cooper Rush and take over that backup QB spot or not. This is what the OTAs, mini-camp, training camp and preseason will be for.

Bryan Broaddus also talked a lot about other players (particularly rookies and 2nd and 3rd year players), how they are being used and how they look so far. Good 41 minute show for those who have the time to watch it.

I am just glad there giving him reps over Rush. Let’s see what the kid can do.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The part at around 13:10 about Beebe and Guyton being with the other young players to get every single rep makes total sense, but these guys act like it's some outrage and a commentary on the competence of the coaches and the players. No, it isn't. It makes all the sense in the world that two guys playing new positions need every technique rep they can get. Voch says Guyton needs to "feel" D-Law... um, they aren't feeling anything right now. They aren't even in pads. These are basically barely even walkthroughs.

I don't know if they really believe this or it's all an act for "content", but either way it's ridiculous. I think if there's any position this team has shown it can develop, it's OL. Just calm down and maybe hold the hot takes until at least August.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
The part at around 13:10 about Beebe and Guyton being with the other young players to get every single rep makes total sense, but these guys act like it's some outrage and a commentary on the competence of the coaches and the players. No, it isn't. It makes all the sense in the world that two guys playing new positions need every technique rep they can get. Voch says Guyton needs to "feel" D-Law... um, they aren't feeling anything right now. They aren't even in pads. These are basically barely even walkthroughs.

I don't know if they really believe this or it's all an act for "content", but either way it's ridiculous. I think if there's any position this team has shown it can develop, it's OL. Just calm down and maybe hold the hot takes until at least August.
Content creators are just CZ members on video. I pay zero attention to them. Voch, Dak attack etc… All they do is drive their storylines for clicks, much like the “like” button here. They have zero qualifications.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’ve said this before in other threads but I really wish Trey would have played in this ongoing UFL season instead of working out in Dallas. He needs reps reps and more reps and any game action would be huge for him. I feel right now it would be better for him to be playing in any game and getting reps than staying in Dallas to the learn the offense. JMO

Honestly what I would really like, and this is regardless of who QB1 is, is I’d want Trey to play UFL for a season or 2 then come back to the Cowboys. Like I wish we could hold his rights but let him play in the UFL. Realistically thinking if Dak signed another 4 year deal, hopefully for 5 for cap purposes, and Trey played in the UFL getting experience and then when Dak retires or his next contract is up Trey would be more ready to play or we’d know if he’s able to play on this level. And if Dak doesn’t resign then insert any other QB and do the same thing and let Trey get some years under his belt in the minor league.

On a completely selfish note it would give me a reason to watch the UFL, lol.
NFL should really use these leagues as minor leagues to develop guys.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Content creators are just CZ members on video. I pay zero attention to them. Voch, Dak attack etc… All they do is drive their storylines for clicks, much like the “like” button here. They have zero qualifications.
I mean who do you pay attention to then? Can’t really trust the “experts” either.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
NFL does have a development league...NCAA who pays these guys now, i could see maybe QB's benefitting from more reps in the USFL and getting better but just about every other position would just be getting OLDER and I'm sure the NFL would not love paying above rookie deals for USFL "Vets". In many instances the competition in the USFL is not better than the NCAA...again QB's getting gametime reps, i could see a benefit, the rest probably no benefit other than chances to showcase what they got ala Turpin.

Qcard

Reaction score
Im no fan of Dak, but im also no fan of Lance. I cant believe the 49ers drafted him that early. He had one good college season in 2019, wouldn't even call it a great season. That year in 16 games started he averaged 18 pass attempts per game, 12 completions a game, and 174 yards a game.

Absolutely crazy how NFL scouts/GM's can look at those passing numbers and think he was worth a first round pick, 3rd overall at that
Twas 49ers arrogance. They have built a juggernaut team where you can pop and swap QBs.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve said this before in other threads but I really wish Trey would have played in this ongoing UFL season instead of working out in Dallas. He needs reps reps and more reps and any game action would be huge for him. I feel right now it would be better for him to be playing in any game and getting reps than staying in Dallas to the learn the offense. JMO

Honestly what I would really like, and this is regardless of who QB1 is, is I’d want Trey to play UFL for a season or 2 then come back to the Cowboys. Like I wish we could hold his rights but let him play in the UFL. Realistically thinking if Dak signed another 4 year deal, hopefully for 5 for cap purposes, and Trey played in the UFL getting experience and then when Dak retires or his next contract is up Trey would be more ready to play or we’d know if he’s able to play on this level. And if Dak doesn’t resign then insert any other QB and do the same thing and let Trey get some years under his belt in the minor league.

On a completely selfish note it would give me a reason to watch the UFL, lol.
And what if he got injured?
Jerry eats the $5 million, and fans on here will be even worse.

I understand what you are saying. But the risks are just to great.
Plus there would need to be an agreement with the CBA, NFL, UFL which opens it up to al players.

speedkilz88

Reaction score

Yeah, these are teaching clinics. (Installs)