Broaddus to Stephen Jones: "If you love Dak so much why doesn't he have a deal?"

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Any franchise qb is making a lot,but the guaranteed money was still low relative to the market.
I'm not big on the money part of NFL....what do you mean... "low"?

Is their a resource you can point me to? I'll try some google and dogpile in the meantime.

(I actually shouldn't...it's honestly not that big of a deal to me. The money will be what it is....for better or worse)

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I'm not big on the money part of NFL....what do you mean... "low"?

Is their a resource you can point me to? I'll try some google and dogpile in the meantime.

(I actually shouldn't...it's honestly not that big of a deal to me. The money will be what it is....for better or worse)

I can't remember where exactly I read it but the estimates were around $125 million in guarantees on a five year extension for Dak. The highest the Cowboys got was $110 million guaranteed. Goff got $110 million guaranteed on a four year extension so to add a fifth year would take some more guaranteed money.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't remember where exactly I read it but the estimates were around $125 million in guarantees on a five year extension for Dak. The highest the Cowboys got was $110 million guaranteed. Goff got $110 million guaranteed on a four year extension so to add a fifth year would take some more guaranteed money.

I see.

This doesn't seem "low" to me. It's more about the 5th year.

Awful lotta money.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Everybody want the most “pie” they can have...no problem with either side here!!
Hell yes,, I always seem to get really concerned when my brother comes for a visit ,, he is a very big man at 325lbs.... and I only have one pie.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Not sure but I think they started trying to sign him in 2018 , but he turned down all offers.
I did read they low balled him at one point offering 25 mil a year for 6 years too lol.
that is when if he is their guy, they should have offered him top pay at the time, and less years, and maybe they get a deal done.
But it is possible dak always planned on playing on the tag to get the highest possible salary when he did sign, a gamble, but so far
it has worked in his favor.
I do question his desire to win though, asking for max amount, which to me says he is in it mainly for the money and if no SB , no big deal.
Any qb knows if they get too much the team cant keep or get the talent needed to make a SB run.
I don’t question his desire to win at all. I think it’s one of his strongest traits.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
It should make sense to Todd France too. It should make sense to everyone. The cap is the pie to be divided among the players. Everyone gets their piece. Dak gets the same percentage of the pie, whether the pie gets bigger or smaller.

While it may make sense to him, it is not his first concern. He only cares that his client is getting paid as much as he can negotiate a contract for him.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
While it may make sense to him, it is not his first concern. He only cares that his client is getting paid as much as he can negotiate a contract for him.

"as much as he can"

How much Dak can be paid is dependent on the cap. The higher the cap, the more Dak can be paid; the lower the cap, the less he can be paid. Hence, write his contract to scale his pay by the cap.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
"as much as he can"

How much Dak can be paid is dependent on the cap. The higher the cap, the more Dak can be paid; the lower the cap, the less he can be paid. Hence, write his contract to scale his pay by the cap.

They'll never go for that. If the cap drops because of COVID, that would mean that Dak would get paid less. Sounds logical to us, but they would never go for that.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
They'll never go for that. If the cap drops because of COVID, that would mean that Dak would get paid less. Sounds logical to us, but they would never go for that.

It's not just that it *sounds* logical, it *is* logical.

Why do you assume that they're incapable of similar logic?

If the cap goes down so that the most *we're* willing to pay goes down, the same conditions hold throughout the league. Being illogical and demanding more from us than we're willing to pay doesn't ensure that Dak get's it, it ensures that he doesn't get a deal from us, and will face a similarly cap strapped league trying to get it somewhere else.

Wezsh0T

Reaction score
It's not just that it *sounds* logical, it *is* logical.

Why do you assume that they're incapable of similar logic?

If the cap goes down so that the most *we're* willing to pay goes down, the same conditions hold throughout the league. Being illogical and demanding more from us than we're willing to pay doesn't ensure that Dak get's it, it ensures that he doesn't get a deal from us, and will face a similarly cap strapped league trying to get it somewhere else.

They won't think that way because no other player has a contract structured like that. If the cap goes down, every other QB will still get paid whatever their contract says. Why would Dak's agent risk Dak having a reduced salary due to decreasing salary cap when no other player has a contract that might go down? Russell Wilson will still get paid 35 million no matter what the salary cap is.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So Dak is greedy.

Just mislead. That is some serious cash....but holding up for a years differential is just not good advice.

But we'll see....if Dak leads his team to wins....then pay him the money and the whatever years.