Broaddus to Stephen Jones: "If you love Dak so much why doesn't he have a deal?"

BigD_95

Reaction score

After reading S. Jones answer. I changed my mind on resigning Dak. Cowboys will never win a Super Bowl with a salary percentage that high tied to 1 player. Its too much to over come. Dallas will lose tons of great players in the next several years. And lets be honest Dak isnt the type of QB to carry a lesser team. He just isnt. He needs a supporting cast.

We can blame Cowboys front office for not resigning him when he had more years left. I would agree. But thats water under the bridge. If Dak demands that high of a salary and only 4 year contract then Cowboys need to make the hard choice and move on from Dak. Sucks but I want to win Super Bowls.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Watson’s a good QB surrounded by a mediocre team.
Well that is your opinion, I am curious to see how he does without hopkins. That is just one player.
and if the whole team is mediocre as u say , then what is the point in giving him the big contract ????????:huh:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well that is your opinion, I am curious to see how he does without hopkins. That is just one player.
and if the whole team is mediocre as u say , then what is the point in giving him the big contract ????????:huh:
Obviously because they can build around him. He’s young. You have to have a good to great QB to win. They think he is.

ArtClink

Reaction score
cause he is one Stingy SOB

A 3rd grader can be frugal with the salary cap. It is no indication about if Stephen will be a good NFL GM 25 years from now when they freeze Jerry's head and preserve it. If hubris is any indicator, Stephen will continue the defiant Jones stance on playing with the toy train instead of delegating football matters to football experts. My money is on Spalding, who will GM the hell out of this team in the spirit of NBC's Parks & Rec" own Jean-Ralphio! Entertainment 720 Spalding style!!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That quote from BB sounds like something Mickey Spagnola would say. lol

basel90

Reaction score
As of now, I believe that CAA is still representing Dak but France is not his agent. I believe Tom Condon has stepped in to pick up the representation, on behalf of CAA for Dak, with the team. But that, to my knowledge, has only been mentioned, I have not seen that reported as fact.
Thanks . Will be interesting to see how this plays out . I feel Stephen and Jerry don’t want to deal with France .

Maverick84

Reaction score
"everyonehere"??? how the hell dare you disrespect me like them

salud compa

tenor.gif

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Obviously because they can build around him. He’s young. You have to have a good to great QB to win. They think he is.
Well that is how most teams think, but qb salarys have gotten so far out of hand, considering the size of the cap, that I think it changes
the formula.
So while they try to make the team better they have to pay the qb 39 mil a year >? That makes it that much harder to keep good players, they have
and even harder to sign good FA players.
If houston cant make playoffs this year, that is real bad considering there will be extra PO spots. And if they are one and done,then that is bad too.
I think the cap isnt going up but will stay the same or go down, or have some subtraction for this year etc. and I just dont see how a team
can pay the qb that much and still build a good team around him.

Dallas is going to be in a similar situation next year because they either sign dak to a mega deal or pay him 38 mil on the tag.

I think one reason they signed the other "stars" first, was to see what they could afford to pay dak. They also might feel it was better
to sign all those guys and maybe lose dak, rather than keep dak and lose some of those guys.

Bottom line is qb's are asking for too much money, more than teams can afford, and partly due to pre covid predictions on a rising cap.
Now the cap is not rising so teams that overpay qb are gonna have it hard the next few years.
and nobody knows what the future holds, it may or may not get back to normal.
Considering that dak and watson and even mahomes should have taken less. They really dont need the amount of money they got or asking for.
I think houston is already out of being a contender, and it is going to be hard for them to get better. They need to tank for high draft picks, but
I doubt they do that.
Also they got johnson in the trade, but I dont think they know how to use him
or the run game lol. they were passing way too much in the game thur.

Last edited:

GMO415

Reaction score
Now he's worth $41 a season because that's the new norm. Jones could of locked him in at $32 when they had a chance.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well that is how most teams think, but qb salarys have gotten so far out of hand, considering the size of the cap, that I think it changes
the formula.
So while they try to make the team better they have to pay the qb 39 mil a year >? That makes it that much harder to keep good players, they have
and even harder to sign good FA players.
If houston cant make playoffs this year, that is real bad considering there will be extra PO spots. And if they are one and done,then that is bad too.
I think the cap isnt going up but will stay the same or go down, or have some subtraction for this year etc. and I just dont see how a team
can pay the qb that much and still build a good team around him.

Dallas is going to be in a similar situation next year because they either sign dak to a mega deal or pay him 38 mil on the tag.

I think one reason they signed the other "stars" first, was to see what they could afford to pay dak. They also might feel it was better
to sign all those guys and maybe lose dak, rather than keep dak and lose some of those guys.

Bottom line is qb's are asking for too much money, more than teams can afford, and partly due to pre covid predictions on a rising cap.
Now the cap is not rising so teams that overpay qb are gonna have it hard the next few years.
and nobody knows what the future holds, it may or may not get back to normal.
Considering that dak and watson and even mahomes should have taken less. They really dont need the amount of money they got or asking for.
I think houston is already out of being a contender, and it is going to be hard for them to get better. They need to tank for high draft picks, but
I doubt they do that.
Also they got johnson in the trade, but I dont think they know how to use him
or the run game lol. they were passing way too much in the game thur.
I agree with you about the QB’s getting paid to much. Every team faces the same situation if you have a good QB. I think Dak is a great QB. The jones screwed up by not signing him 2 years ago for 35mil per year. Screwed up big time.

cern

Reaction score
i wonder how many here have negotiated multiple 100 million plus deals with employees? if you don't get how sharp stephen is, you just don't get it. he's doing an outstanding job. much better than his dad ever did. sorry, jerry. glad that the apple fell far from the tree.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I agree with you about the QB’s getting paid to much. Every team faces the same situation if you have a good QB. I think Dak is a great QB. The jones screwed up by not signing him 2 years ago for 35mil per year. Screwed up big time.
Not sure but I think they started trying to sign him in 2018 , but he turned down all offers.
I did read they low balled him at one point offering 25 mil a year for 6 years too lol.
that is when if he is their guy, they should have offered him top pay at the time, and less years, and maybe they get a deal done.
But it is possible dak always planned on playing on the tag to get the highest possible salary when he did sign, a gamble, but so far
it has worked in his favor.
I do question his desire to win though, asking for max amount, which to me says he is in it mainly for the money and if no SB , no big deal.
Any qb knows if they get too much the team cant keep or get the talent needed to make a SB run.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i wonder how many here have negotiated multiple 100 million plus deals with employees? if you don't get how sharp stephen is, you just don't get it. he's doing an outstanding job. much better than his dad ever did. sorry, jerry. glad that the apple fell far from the tree.

Jerry came from a different time and could never change his ways.
He called the shots...rewarded his best and most loyal players with whatever he wanted. He could never get used to being restricted. I think Stephen gets it. It can be very subtle...like understanding the difference between a 4 and a 5 year contract.