Broaddus to Stephen Jones: "If you love Dak so much why doesn't he have a deal?"

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Only if he leads this team to a Superbowl, if he can't, and this team ends up 8-8 pr worse, that deal is gone and Dallas may be looking for another starting QB!

I noticed he said "we're loading him up to be as successful as possible"

That's a telling statement right there. I think they (Cowboys) will be willing to give him the "extra money"....if he is.

RoboQB

Reaction score
At this point, I'd worry that he pulls an Andrew Luck and just quits.

bewp7

Reaction score
because they are not sold on him being the guy and being able to do actual heavy lifting with out amazing talent at every position on offense. if u think jerry and stephen would play games with some one they thought was a elite franchise qb u are crazy.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I find it funny how so many people hate Stephen for being the exact opposite of what they hated about Jerry.
It went from one extreme to the other so there's no middle ground. What makes Stephen worse than Jerry is statements like this where he admits publicly the price is going up. The whole world knows he said it yet when it's contract time he gets amnesia about it.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
At this point, I'd worry that he pulls an Andrew Luck and just quits.
dont-always-report-the-news-fuininsa-point-usa-but-whenido-itwist-37603924.png

Swagger

Reaction score
To be fair to Stephen Jones, what else did people expect him to say? He said everything that we already know.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
First, tell me how much Dak is asking for and how much the Cowboys are offering. None of us know those numbers. Without those numbers, can't say who is right.

If Dak is asking for $40M/year, then see you and good luck with another team. Too many eggs in one basket.
1) If the Cowboys pay Dak $40M/yr what is the likely W/L record for the Cowboys? My guess is 6-10 to 9-7.
2) If the Cowboys pay a different QB (Dalton or Winston or someone else) at $15M/yr and add some extra players for $25M/yr, what is the likely W/L record for the Cowboys? My guess is 8-8 to 12-4.

So, I am not paying $40M/yr for Dak. Same scenario for $35M, $30M.

My max would be $30-32M. The Cowboy QB gets $7M in endorsements. Take it or leave it. I am betting no other team pays Dak $32M/yr.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
The big uncertainty is how much the cap will go up or down.

Why don't they scale his contract to a percentage of the cap? If they're worried about an expanded roster, scale it by that too.

It's not rocket science to write a contract that tracks whatever uncertain quantities are holding up a deal. There will still be room for disagreement, but taking uncertainty of the future out of that disagreement should help narrow it.

Bahahaha

Is this where you tell us you're also a super agent and lawyer and everything else so you've done this contract work and know that its sooo easy to do this?

Yall stupid, no wonder every fan i talk to says they hate cowboy fans more than the actual team.

Swagger

Reaction score
First, tell me how much Dak is asking for and how much the Cowboys are offering. None of us know those numbers. Without those numbers, can't say who is right.

If Dak is asking for $40M/year, then see you and good luck with another team. Too many eggs in one basket.
1) If the Cowboys pay Dak $40M/yr what is the likely W/L record for the Cowboys? My guess is 6-10 to 9-7.
2) If the Cowboys pay a different QB (Dalton or Winston or someone else) at $15M/yr and add some extra players for $25M/yr, what is the likely W/L record for the Cowboys? My guess is 8-8 to 12-4.

So, I am not paying $40M/yr for Dak. Same scenario for $35M, $30M.

My max would be $30-32M. The Cowboy QB gets $7M in endorsements. Take it or leave it. I am betting no other team pays Dak $32M/yr.

From putting all the pieces together we have a pretty good idea of the best deal offered. In the range of $175-180 million over 5 years with circa $110-115 million guaranteed.

It would be nice to know what Prescott would like over 4 years.

I'm a little surprised that one year is so much of an issue for Prescott - not a criticism of him and maybe i'm being naive in terms of the timeline. Is something specific happening in 4 years time in terms of coverage rights/deals? I get the whole angle that he wants a raise etc but he will only be 32 years old after a 5 year contract and should be in a position for another massive contract regardless.

From Prescott's perspective by delaying signing the contract then given the duration of the contract will either be 4-5 years then he's seemingly expecting a higher offer regardless at the end of this season. In reality, will the Cowboys increase their offer after a financially hit season? It strikes me that if Prescott doesn't budge on length of years of the contract then he's pretty content to move elsewhere for more money or if the Jones boys pay over the odds then we will be losing some players at the end of this season.

Swagger

Reaction score
From putting all the pieces together we have a pretty good idea of the best deal offered. In the range of $175-180 million over 5 years with circa $110-115 million guaranteed.

It would be nice to know what Prescott would like over 4 years.

I'm a little surprised that one year is so much of an issue for Prescott - not a criticism of him and maybe i'm being naive in terms of the timeline. Is something specific happening in 4 years time in terms of coverage rights/deals? I get the whole angle that he wants a raise etc but he will only be 32 years old after a 5 year contract and should be in a position for another massive contract regardless.

From Prescott's perspective by delaying signing the contract then given the duration of the contract will either be 4-5 years then he's seemingly expecting a higher offer regardless at the end of this season. In reality, will the Cowboys increase their offer after a financially hit season? It strikes me that if Prescott doesn't budge on length of years of the contract then he's pretty content to move elsewhere for more money or if the Jones boys pay over the odds then we will be losing some players at the end of this season.
I note that we have been restructuring contracts which could be to make room for a huge contract for Prescott. Just means we had better continue to drafting exceptionally well and continue being fortunate with not being hit by key injuries otherwise it doesn't bode well longer term.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I note that we have been restructuring contracts which could be to make room for a huge contract for Prescott. Just means we had better continue to drafting exceptionally well and continue being fortunate with not being hit by key injuries otherwise it doesn't bode well longer term.
It's all about riding razor edges, is it not?

Swagger

Reaction score
Ok, so Mahomes, Watson, Wilson, Brees, Rodgers, Goff, Wentz all got paid.
I think we are going to win the Super Bowl.
Mahomes is on a contract that doesn't really hit the team in cap space until later on. So whilst he's a paid QB he's an anomaly. Of the others, only Brees has a genuine shot at a ring this season imo and even then he has looked 80 years old come play off time the past two seasons. Age catches up with us all at some point.

Swagger

Reaction score
It's all about riding razor edges, is it not?
It depends how highly you rate Dak Prescott. If the Jones boys rate him as a genuine top 5-6 QB in the league then they should and arguably would have paid him by now. If they think he hovers around the 8-14 range then arguably they would have a strong chance of finding a QB in a draft who would produce similar results for $30-$35 million cheaper each year.

So the question is do you back yourself to continually draft well and avoid injuries to key players or draft a QB in the first round who could be the 8-16 range in this offense?

That will be what the Jones boys have been weighing up. Which has less risk/which is more likely to produce success to the Dallas Cowboys. And Stephen Jones previously mentioned the pie and how unsuccessful teams have been that have paid a QB a certain % of the salary cap.

On one hand hand it tells me is that the front office do not rate Dak Prescott as one of top quarterbacks in the league otherwise they would have already paid him and arguably view him as a guy in the 8-14 type of ranking and have offered him deals reflecting the same. On the other hand if they thought that then why didn't they draft Jalen Hurts in the second round? I suppose they had already brought in Dalton on a fantastic one year contract so short term it wouldn't make any sense. But longer term, arguably it would have.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
It depends how highly you rate Dak Prescott. If the Jones boys rate him as a genuine top 5-6 QB in the league then they should and arguably would have paid him by now. If they think he hovers around the 8-14 range then arguably they would have a strong chance of finding a QB in a draft who would produce similar results for $30-$35 million cheaper each year.

So the question is do you back yourself to continually draft well and avoid injuries to key players or draft a QB in the first round who could be the 8-16 range in this offense?

That will be what the Jones boys have been weighing up. Which has less risk/which is more likely to produce success to the Dallas Cowboys. And Stephen Jones previously mentioned the pie and how unsuccessful teams have been that have paid a QB a certain % of the salary cap.

On one hand hand it tells me is that the front office do not rate Dak Prescott as one of top quarterbacks in the league otherwise they would have already paid him and arguably view him as a guy in the 8-14 type of ranking and have offered him deals reflecting the same. On the other hand if they thought that then why didn't they draft Jalen Hurts in the second round? I suppose they had already brought in Dalton on a fantastic one year contract so short term it wouldn't make any sense. But longer term, arguably it would have.
Good post.
I think you're over-complicating the whole thing, but that's just my semi-uninformed view just like everyone else's.
I do believe it was the team's hard stance on 5 year deals versus his 4 year desire.
Stephen has a direct quote saying he admires Dak for not blinking on the subject.

Still, very good post homie. You may very well be right on all fronts.

Swagger

Reaction score
Whichever side of the fence people sit on I do think it's a complex situation. Also, the reports were that Jerry Jones thought they had an unofficial agreement with Prescott and/or his agent just before the start of last season or after a game or so. Whether that was verbal or a handshake, whatever, the front office thought it was a done deal all bar signing the contract. Then Prescott had three impressive performances against what turned out to be effectively three of the worst teams in the league. His camp wanted more money as he was balling out and the deal was never agreed. Whether that's a load of tosh or true I do not know but those were the reports at the time last season. People blaming the front office - well if the above is true then they thought it was done only for it not to be signed.