Broaddus top 5 safeties

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The 3 cone drill
and 20 yd shuttles says otherwise. Dude ran a 40 dash still healing from injuries . I thinks it’s a big factor when it’s the lower body.

He ran 4.7 in high school at a lighter weight. He then confirmed those numbers at his Pro Day.

That’s indisputable.

If you wanna hang your hat on 3-cone and 20-yard shuttle, that’s fine, but you can’t toss his 40 times away arbitrarily.

Beaker42

Reaction score
lol you lose all credibility when your main argument is 40 time, I'm pretty sure you wanted John Ross.
P.S. that 40 time is from High School and unofficial he runs 4.6
You’re the one losing credibility. Welcome to my ignore button.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Rapp is recovering from a hip flexor. Those are slow recoveries,no way to truely rest your hip.
His speed is fine, watch the tape, we will be lucky if he is there at 58. Very high, football IQ. Perfect QB for the back 5 of the defense.

No thanks. We’ve been burned by having slow safeties. Give me speed to make up for mistakes in front of them.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
sorry bryan, your wrong. take rapp and make him the 6th rated safety. THEN insert savage at 2. Cant believe he omitted Savage from his top 5. He and Adderly are the cream of the crop.
OMG. I just finished watching the draft show and Broaddus was advocating the Cowboys should trade up to draft him. He claims he was talking to a hall of Famer who says Rapp speed will cause him to drop. Brugler says Rapp will not drop far.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
For context, nobody would confuse Barry Church as a speed merchant. He ran a 4.69 forty at 6’-2” 222 lbs, but had a 3-cone of 6.65. Church was effectively your in the box linebacker sized safety. Rapp is 5’-11” 208 lbs.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Rapp looks like a better version of Iloka to me now. Good against the run and not a total liability in coverage but not ideal either. I hope one of the teams that needs a safety ahead of us takes him.

Abram seems to fit best with what we need but I really like Thornhill and Savage both.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Would live to get Adderley but he will be long gone before we pick.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Rapp is not a deep safety in this league.

He’s a box safety. Taking him at 58 would be a real stretch IMO.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/taylor-rapp

Agree that he’s a guy who needs to play in the box.

I disagree that it would be a stretch taking him at 58.

He plays faster than that 4.7 and his quickness, change of direction, and lateral movement are very, very good.

His instincts and football IQ are exceptional and he plays with a toughness and grit that is all too rare these days.

He’s a really good football player and IMO will really help a team and help them early.

I think he will be gone before he ever gets to 58.

I’ve been wrong before though, so this isn’t gospel... but I really like the guy.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree with him being a box safety, and would ask you, what do you think we are looking for? We definitely want a box safety. I tend to think Rapp will go before 58, but stranger things have happened in the draft.

I think they are looking for a guy who is flexible. I don’t think they want a pure box safety.

I will be disappointed if he’s our 2nd round pick.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I think they are looking for a guy who is flexible. I don’t think they want a pure box safety.

I think this is clearly a passing league, or at least predominantly. It’s also the era of dynamic pass-catching TEs. I think defenses would be well served with two capable coverage safeties that are realiable tacklers versus the “ball hawking” free safety and linebacker sized box (strong) safeties of yesteryear.

At least that’s how I would be outfitting my secondary.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
I want Juan Thornhill if we are not taking a DT like Gerald Willis III....

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The safety position isn't a stop watch position, like a CB for instance. It's more like a linebacker, strong instincts is paramount. We saw a all world athlete in Bryon Jones struggle at the position, cause of his lack of instincts, was never around the football. I have zero issues taking Rapp at 58, as many reports suggest he has strong instincts for the position.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score

No team in the league wants a pure box safety. It's like having a SAM when you run a 4-3. It's an easily hidden spot, on the field for less than half the snaps every game, and really non-impactful.

A "Box" safety, today, has value when they can make plays in the passing game in front of the deep third. That's why Thornhill is a guy who makes sense, but Rapp doesn't.

Sydla

Reaction score
No team in the league wants a pure box safety. It's like having a SAM when you run a 4-3. It's an easily hidden spot, on the field for less than half the snaps every game, and really non-impactful.

A "Box" safety, today, has value when they can make plays in the passing game in front of the deep third. That's why Thornhill is a guy who makes sense, but Rapp doesn't.

I like Thornhill, Savage, Abram, Gardner Johnson, Hooker and Adderly before Rapp. I would also prefer the kid from BC, Harris, in the 3rd or 4th round over Rapp in the 2nd.