Broaddus: Trade Rumor

Iago33

Reaction score
Its not Mos fault that the Cowboys gave up a lot to get him. I've never understood this incredibly stupid reaction fans have where they ***** and moan about the player. Yell at the front office, not Mo.

I've never yelled at Mo, though I did (and do) have higher expectations for him based upon what we gave up. I think it's only natural to have higher expectations for a player that you paid a top-half 1st and second round pick to acquire than one where you paid only a very low first. Don't you think that's only natural?

Thus, I don't think people will think Jones is as much as a bust or put as high expectations on him as we had on Mo. Kevm3 was stating that we would treat Jones like Mo. I don't think anyone will for the reasons listed above.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They can have Claiborne for free.

All the reports of him finally healthy, making plays and having a good camp would give me good reason to pause from moving Mo. We are finally getting what we spent two high draft picks for.

windjc

Reaction score
I've never yelled at Mo, though I did (and do) have higher expectations for him based upon what we gave up. I think it's only natural to have higher expectations for a player that you paid a top-half 1st and second round pick to acquire than one where you paid only a very low first. Don't you think that's only natural?

Thus, I don't think people will think Jones is as much as a bust or put as high expectations on him as we had on Mo. Kevm3 was stating that we would treat Jones like Mo. I don't think anyone will for the reasons listed above.

No. I don't think that's reasonable. Sorry. The guy is the same player whether you draft him top 10 or trade up to draft him top 10.

Iago33

Reaction score
No. I don't think that's reasonable. Sorry. The guy is the same player whether you draft him top 10 or trade up to draft him top 10.

Interesting. I'm concerned about what a player contributes to the team, and a player who cost us 2 top picks needs to contribute more than one who cost us a late first. I guess we don't agree on that.

Incidentally, we're you happy with Roy Williams (the WR)?

windjc

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm concerned about what a player contributes to the team, and a player who cost us 2 top picks needs to contribute more than one who cost us a late first. I guess we don't agree on that.

Incidentally, we're you happy with Roy Williams (the WR)?

Again, my happiness or unhappiness would be with the front office. RW didn't ask the Cowboys to trade 2 first for him.

Iago33

Reaction score
I should also mention that I am more disappointed in the front office than MO for that pick, but that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in Mo.

windjc

Reaction score
I should also mention that I am more disappointed in the front office than MO for that pick, but that doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in Mo.

I think the only thing you can get mad at a player about is effort. The coaches feel the same way. If the player was drafted high and gives 100% and fails, blame the scouts.

Claiborne has been weak mentally at times, but he hasn't been weak mentality since tearing up his knee. In fact, he's worked his butt off and is said to be one of if not the hardest working CBs on the team.

If he puts in the effort and fails this year, then he's done all he can do.

I personally think he has a chance for success.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score

It was the fault of the front office, IMO, because they hadn't done their due diligence on Claiborne like they have done with everyone they've taken since Garrett took over.

Instead of having their own personality profile, a lot of face-to-face time, and plenty of discussions about him... they basically had to take the scout who scouted him opinion of him and make a decision. They hadn't even had a face-to-face meeting with Claiborne when they drafted him.

That pick broke the protocol that has been very successful since 2010. Jerry was just starry-eye'd at being able to go from the middle of the first round up to the 6th pick overall for such a cheap price. It was cheap but they didn't know enough about the player they took, IMO.

Overall the front office gets an A+ though, because they have probably drafted the best over the last half decade of any team out there. Fantastic job of finding talent. They did make a mistake there but it is about the only one.

The big thing is that I think Dallas sees what went wrong with the Claiborne pick and I don't think they'll make that mistake again.

kevm3

Reaction score
At least now Claiborne gets to play without the expectations of being a mini-Revis. I think he'll do well.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was the fault of the front office, IMO, because they hadn't done their due diligence on Claiborne like they have done with everyone they've taken since Garrett took over.

Instead of having their own personality profile, a lot of face-to-face time, and plenty of discussions about him... they basically had to take the scout who scouted him opinion of him and make a decision. They hadn't even had a face-to-face meeting with Claiborne when they drafted him.

That pick broke the protocol that has been very successful since 2010. Jerry was just starry-eye'd at being able to go from the middle of the first round up to the 6th pick overall for such a cheap price. It was cheap but they didn't know enough about the player they took, IMO.

Overall the front office gets an A+ though, because they have probably drafted the best over the last half decade of any team out there. Fantastic job of finding talent. They did make a mistake there but it is about the only one.

The big thing is that I think Dallas sees what went wrong with the Claiborne pick and I don't think they'll make that mistake again.

The Rams called and talked directly to Jerry to make that trade and Jerry pushed it through despite that not being the plan by the scouting dept. I don't know if the scouting dept. was for or against the trade, but they definitely were not planning to trade up for Claiborne.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Prior price has already floated down stream.

As to Claiborne, are you kidding me. Everyone wants personal vindication when he still has strong potential of the very least, being a very solid cornerback. This gives Dallas 4 to 5 very strong candidates at the position. I can remember not too long ago, when one solid corner was a matter of discussion.

This just isn't the season to get faint hearted with actual potential in Claiborne. He will show where he is at, and without prejudice feelings related to cost in the draft.

I don't at all feel that he is a cherry picked linebacker during Parcels' time in the franchise.

Support him, because he is a Cowboy, and judge his overall merit when his current picture is actually over...

Bluestang

Reaction score

Actually, Coach Baker had also spent time with Claiborne and some other scouts as well at the Combine. Your right about the front office not having a lot of info on Claiborne to begin with though. Also, Garrett had already taken over by 2012 was in his first full year as a head coach.

The Rams called the Thursday before the draft with interest to trade down, and the only player that Dallas was considering the trade to begin with was for Claiborne. Nothing materialized until draft day when the Rams called again looking to trade down. I assume that there asking price went down from the initial call on Thursday and Jerry, Stephen, Garrett, and Ciscowski agreed after they consulted Coach Baker and the scouts that met with Claiborne from the Combine.

The front office makes collective decisions, and it's not just Jerry being Jerry as you seem to imply here. There is no denying that they have gotten better, but let's also not sweep it under the rug and call them Jerry moves when they've messed up.

Bluestang

Reaction score
The Rams called and talked directly to Jerry to make that trade and Jerry pushed it through despite that not being the plan by the scouting dept. I don't know if the scouting dept. was for or against the trade, but they definitely were not planning to trade up for Claiborne.

You seem to enjoy fiction when the story fits. Stephen Jones was heavily involved in that trade conversation if not moreso than Jerry.