Broaddus: Trysten Hill played poorly

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
They would absolutely draft a DT in the first. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it next time around.

Not going to happen as long as you have a guy like Marinelli as your DC. He discounts defensive tackles and sees no value in a high pick DT. Thinks that it’s all a matter of coaching.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Hill probably needs another season (maybe 2 more, hopefully not)

thems the breaks when you don't have a 1st Rd pick (Amari was worth it though)

I’m going to go through the draft and give you five names we should’ve taken @ DT before we took Hill.

Beaker42

Reaction score
No offense, but your crazy dude. I don't think they have ever drafted a DT in the first. (anyone?) And I know for a fact that this crop of coaches doesn't value them enough to do it now. Possibly for a true stud 3 tech like Donald, but absolutely not for a 1 tech, which is what we're talking about here.
Guys like Donald don’t really fall into the 1 or 3 spots. He dominates whoever and wherever he is on the line. We need to take the kid from Auburn if we want to fix our D. Look at the Bears’ D before and since Hicks got injured. Night and day. We need a beast in the middle on running plays and to push the pocket back so our DE’s can get there on passing downs.

Plankton

Reaction score
No offense, but your crazy dude. I don't think they have ever drafted a DT in the first. (anyone?) And I know for a fact that this crop of coaches doesn't value them enough to do it now. Possibly for a true stud 3 tech like Donald, but absolutely not for a 1 tech, which is what we're talking about here.

Kevin Brooks, Danny Noonan and Russell Maryland say hi.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who are you kidding? They would never have taken a DT in rd1 anyway.
They would absolutely draft a DT in the first. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it next time around.
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/2016-leaked-draft-board-current-players-available.443900/

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
One of my issues with Hill is that the man who vouched for him is more than likely gone after this season. If Marinelli is gone after this season how will Hill respond to no longer having his biggest advocate on the staff here coaching him up? Remember he didn't respond too well to the coaching change in college.
He's also the guy who wanted Taco then ran him out of town.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
hmmm why was everyone out to cut Dlaw? He had 8 sacks that year with limited game time.

Trysten Hill hasn't even sniffed the QB and its being manhandled easily. He is more and more becoming a bust.

People at CZ complained constantly about DLaw early on (1st year going into year 2 for certain).

This was repeated ad nauseam:

"They gave up 2 picks for him and he sucks!"

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ive seen some plays where you could really see his ability to fire of the snap. But I think he is at point now where he is either going to win or get washed. He needs to hold his ground better when he doesnt win off the snap, and he needs better awareness of where the play is going

Hill's biggest issue is playing against zone blocking.

I don't know how much of that he saw in college.

The technique is different because DL have to flow laterally.

It is very easy for a DL to completely lose leverage when flowing laterally.

He actually keeps his eye on the ball carry fairly well for a rookie.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
People at CZ complained constantly about DLaw early on (1st year going into year 2 for certain).

This was repeated ad nauseam:

"They gave up 2 picks for him and he sucks!"

I guess your right. But I for one loved the pick since I'm kinda a closest Boise state homer (keep it secret).

Judging from his college days he was very productive and had a very quick first step from the left end position. He certainly had the track record that Hill didn't.
Therefore, I don't compare him to Trysten Hill's situation. Hill is all SPARQ but no SPUNK.