Broaddus: Trysten Hill played poorly

Sydla

Reaction score
Rod with a month on the job saved us from an epic bust that was Sharif Floyd and allowed them to trade down and take Travis Frederick.
That trade down allowed the ammo to the next season go get DLaw at the top of round 2.
2 years later they got Maliek Collins in the 3rd round.

Taco was a bad miss. Prototype size but zero work ethic.
Hill was always labeled a project guy who had to get stronger. But make no mistake he has flashed elite quickness at tremendous raw size.
He has also shown the concern many had which is he can't stand his ground versus guys 20 pounds lighter.
But CWill, Travis and others have come in with strength issues and overcome those. Strength is the single easiest asset to add for a football player after conditioning.

The constant crying about Rod is one of life's greatest mysteries.

He's an overrated coach at this point. Not that he sucks or anything like that. It's that some act like he's an elite level DL coach. He's not anymore.

That Rams game where we got shredded in January? That's a reflection on him (and Richard too). It wasn't that Dallas got out-talented. They got out-schemed and out-coached. The DL was giving tells and doing predictable things that the Rams were able to exploit. If the Rams were able to figure out where and when we were stunting, for example, that's a coaching issue.

Sometimes coaches get stale and need to move on.

PS - Frederick may have needed strength but he was pretty darn good from the get go as a rookie. Comparing him to what Hill is going through is silly.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The comment related to Taco and Hill. 2 recent high picks that heretofore have yielded nothing on the DL. It also relates to the Dallas run defense which has been routinely exploited by good teams. Marinelli has been here long enough. A lot of capital has been spent on the defense yet they inexplicably come up short. Did you see the Jets game? A second year QB coming off an injury carved them up. Did you see the Packers game? A 5th round RB ran all over them. Did you see the Rams game last year? A back up RB scourched them. Repeatedly. Criticizing Marinelli is more than fair. Gone are the days when we could say he didn’t have any talent. This season was supposed to be different. So far the returns are not good.
Taco was a bust. He has the raw ability but it didnt happen here.
Charge that to Rod. Bad miss. Should've gathered whether he could or couldn't work with his kid before they drafted him R1.

Hill was picked 58th and is a 21 year old rookie.
Bringing him up is frankly goofy.

DAL is ranked 15th versus the run. That's with TC who is their 2nd best DL on IR and DLaw playing injured.
We also had our NT out a few weeks.

It's not good but it is acceptable to be 15th.

The Rams crushed our run defense because they knew the alignment and had a week to scout us.
A week where we absolutely crushed the opponent's playoff run game.
Crying eyes love to mention one but not the balance of the two. Weird.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Taco was a bust. He has the raw ability but it didnt happen here.
Charge that to Rod. Bad miss. Should've gathered whether he could or couldn't work with his kid before they drafted him R1.

Hill was picked 58th and is a 21 year old rookie.
Bringing him up is frankly goofy.

DAL is ranked 15th versus the run. That's with TC who is their 2nd best DL on IR and DLaw playing injured.
We also had our NT out a few weeks.

It's not good but it is acceptable to be 15th.

The Rams crushed our run defense because they knew the alignment and had a week to scout us.
A week where we absolutely crushed the opponent's playoff run game.
Crying eyes love to mention one but not the balance of the two. Weird.

How many playoff wins since Rod’s arrival?

Don’t be a useful idiot.

CWR

Reaction score
Rod with a month on the job saved us from an epic bust that was Sharif Floyd and allowed them to trade down and take Travis Frederick.
That trade down allowed the ammo to the next season go get DLaw at the top of round 2.

Hill was always labeled a project guy who had to get stronger. But make no mistake he has flashed elite quickness at tremendous raw size.
He has also shown the concern many had which is he can't stand his ground versus guys 20 pounds lighter.
But CWill, Travis and others have come in with strength issues and overcome those. Strength is the single easiest asset to add for a football player after conditioning.

Good post. You inspire hope. Im always happy to be wrong when it benefits us.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
he was a bad pick should of taken the safety they have missed badly on the last two attempts to draft defensive lineman and rusty rod is a lot of the reason

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
We knew he was gonna be bad when he got picked. Most of us are not shocked by this. Not saying he will be bad forever but knew he would not contribute this season.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
One of my issues with Hill is that the man who vouched for him is more than likely gone after this season. If Marinelli is gone after this season how will Hill respond to no longer having his biggest advocate on the staff here coaching him up? Remember he didn't respond too well to the coaching change in college.

You act like Marinelli was the ONLY guy who liked Hill. But that is a false statement. Richard also vouched for the pick. And the scouting department obviously liked him also. If the guy needs strength, that is a correctable issue. It's not like he was a top 50 pick.

I'm not crowning Hill, but I'm not going to declare he's a bust either. Plenty of guys take 2-3 years to develop at the NFL level. Former NFL Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison was on the Steelers and Ravens practice squads for 3 seasons before he finally made the 53-man roster, and ultimately played 16 years in the NFL, making 5 Pro Bowls, and 4 All-Pro selections. He's an example of sometimes it takes time to develop. No one is claiming right now that Hill will eventually be an All-Pro, but the kid seems to hustle, have a good work ethic, and takes coaching. He has some admittedly raw talent that other players aren't born with, and if he can develop, he'll be a good player for the Cowboys.

Finally, Hill wasn't drafted to be a significant contributor in 2019. He was a "futures" pick. The Cowboys realize that it may be hard to keep Collins after this season, so Hill was drafted to become a significant player in 2020. This is his developmental year. It is not shocking that he gets beat sometimes. That's normally what happens to rookies - especially when playing against top-notch players like Jason Kelce.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
All this bad mouthing Rod and yet no one remembers Richard calling Hill a "Generational Player" after the draft.

I'm so sick of everyone giving him a free pass. He wanted Hill as much as anyone on the coaching staff.

Selective memory seems to be a problem on here.

Edit: I went back and watched again and he said generational athlete.

Last edited:

mrmojo

Reaction score
I must not be seeing the potential, he reminds me of Larry Bethea back in the day. Hopefully he comes around and Thornhill doesn't become an all pro....

quickccc

Reaction score
One of my issues with Hill is that the man who vouched for him is more than likely gone after this season. If Marinelli is gone after this season how will Hill respond to no longer having his biggest advocate on the staff here coaching him up? Remember he didn't respond too well to the coaching change in college.

I could blame McClay’s group for this far more than Marinelli.
Marinelli did not scout Trysten Hill.
-Scouts see and study collegiate players around the clock and around the season, and on a year by year basis
-. Coaches maybe asked to see certain amount of film about
a player(s) in only about a month prior to the draft ..at the least.

Someone in the team's player personnel dept. had to have led the Hill prospect to Marinelli, ..they decide what round of the NFL draft Hill projects best and his overall grade per their value board.

I’m worried that we just flat out over drafted Hill and he’ll be a decent rotation guy.. at best.
I never expected him to start this year, but I did expect him to be taking up Hyder’s reps at the nickel and occasionally spotting and relieving Maliek from time to time.
I did expect to see him spotted and rotational role this year.

He’s weight room strong per his 28 reps at the combine, but that hasn't translated over to the playing field. His functional play strength may not be up to par at all at this time.
And there is still concern over his balance, locating the ball and his overall knack for the game at the NFL level.
Its still so very much of a wait and see for a 2nd round pick guy

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
A project is putting it mildly.

He’s so far off from being a legitimate NFL lineman. I have no freaking clue what they saw in this guy.
Marinelli should lose his job for this pick. Really first Taco and now this. Honestly, Taco is way better than this guy!!!

Blackspider214

Reaction score
We definitely adhere to the quantity over quality when it comes to DT. Our DT's are spares and that is putting it nicely.

quickccc

Reaction score
what we cannot continue to do is coming up empty on these DL draft picks overall, .. have not had an impact DL guy from the draft aside from Dlaw.

- Gregory, Taco and Trysten Hill picks are setting this DL unit back for years.

To add matters to it, when I heard Dorace Armstrong was made game inactive vs Philly (and it was non- injury-related) that may have been another setback pick that we were
counting on,
- Maliek is due to be FA,
- ditto with Quinn, and we may have to overpay handsomely to re-sign him.
- Woods and Covington are JAGs, imo. ..decent/average types in their respective roles but not even close to being difference makers.

- We’d hope DLaw’s breakout game vs Philly is the beginning of the resurgence we really need – wish we could get plenty more out of the DT roles – it’s such a situation that
- Kerry hyder and Joe Jackson are seen being spelled as nickel rushers. but they are JAGs at this point. I was hoping Hyder have more Crawford like nickel interior rusher at the least.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You act like Marinelli was the ONLY guy who liked Hill. But that is a false statement. Richard also vouched for the pick. And the scouting department obviously liked him also. If the guy needs strength, that is a correctable issue. It's not like he was a top 50 pick.

I'm not crowning Hill, but I'm not going to declare he's a bust either. Plenty of guys take 2-3 years to develop at the NFL level. Former NFL Defensive Player of the Year James Harrison was on the Steelers and Ravens practice squads for 3 seasons before he finally made the 53-man roster, and ultimately played 16 years in the NFL, making 5 Pro Bowls, and 4 All-Pro selections. He's an example of sometimes it takes time to develop. No one is claiming right now that Hill will eventually be an All-Pro, but the kid seems to hustle, have a good work ethic, and takes coaching. He has some admittedly raw talent that other players aren't born with, and if he can develop, he'll be a good player for the Cowboys.

Finally, Hill wasn't drafted to be a significant contributor in 2019. He was a "futures" pick. The Cowboys realize that it may be hard to keep Collins after this season, so Hill was drafted to become a significant player in 2020. This is his developmental year. It is not shocking that he gets beat sometimes. That's normally what happens to rookies - especially when playing against top-notch players like Jason Kelce.

Ron Leary was on the practice squad his 1st season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
what we cannot continue to do is coming up empty on these DL draft picks overall, .. have not had an impact DL guy from the draft aside from Dlaw.

- Gregory, Taco and Trysten Hill picks are setting this DL unit back for years.

To add matters to it, when I heard Dorace Armstrong was made game inactive vs Philly (and it was non- injury-related) that may have been another setback pick that we were
counting on,
- Maliek is due to be FA,
- ditto with Quinn, and we may have to overpay handsomely to re-sign him.
- Woods and Covington are JAGs, imo. ..decent/average types in their respective roles but not even close to being difference makers.

- We’d hope DLaw’s breakout game vs Philly is the beginning of the resurgence we really need – wish we could get plenty more out of the DT roles – it’s such a situation that
- Kerry hyder and Joe Jackson are seen being spelled as nickel rushers. but they are JAGs at this point. I was hoping Hyder have more Crawford like nickel interior rusher at the least.

Armstrong was injured:

ondaedg

Reaction score

I guess you missed the Rams and Packers games. :thumbdown:

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
interesting point

i remember everyone around here ready to cut DLaw in 2015, but that turned out pretty good. DLaw has had Marinelli his entire career though so the coaching change definitely provides another variable.

hmmm why was everyone out to cut Dlaw? He had 8 sacks that year with limited game time.

Trysten Hill hasn't even sniffed the QB and its being manhandled easily. He is more and more becoming a bust.