Broaddus: Trysten Hill played poorly

InTheZone

Reaction score
Time stamped. Says he's simply not strong enough right now. Dallas has to get another DT asap.

That gif was more of a Jaylon Smith issue than anything. Should shoot the gap every time when both defensive tackles are getting double teamed.

After watching that replay some more i really hate that defensive formation. Sean lee cant crash because he has to protect the outside, it just seems like it sets us up for a big run if our linebackers don't play it right. If Sean cuts in the rb can choose to run wide. Unless our dline breaks though it seems like there's too many lanes for the rb to pick from

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good to know.
I stand corrected. Makes me have to be more careful of sources saying he was a healthy scratch on Gameday.

It's possible he was cleared by the Doctors, but Garret is always cautious with injured players.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hill does lack power (and technique) but in fairness that was a double team.

He absolutely a project. I thought some of his traits would pop by now. I haven’t given up on him but he looks like he’s a long way from contributing.
Ive seen some plays where you could really see his ability to fire of the snap. But I think he is at point now where he is either going to win or get washed. He needs to hold his ground better when he doesnt win off the snap, and he needs better awareness of where the play is going

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Ive seen some plays where you could really see his ability to fire of the snap.

That is all he has.

No power, no strength, no plan.

He is well on the way to being a huge bust that makes even the likes of Charlton and Carpenter look successful. He is entirely too soft. You don't even see frustration from him when he gets washed out of plays.

I get he is a 2nd round pick, but he clearly was the player that everyone signed off on and gave their blessing to.

Last edited:

Common Sense

Reaction score
Too early to say he was a bad pick.

The game is still won in the trenches.

It's not too early to say that so far he's been a bad pick based on his play. Could he turn it around someday? It's possible, but right now you could poach someone from another team's practice squad and it would be an upgrade.

Creeper

Reaction score
Its too early to give up on Hill. I subscribe to Tom Landry's theory on defensive linemen. They don't reach their potential until their 3rd or 4th year. Which, btw, mean Collins is already as good as he will ever be.

The 2019 draft class may wind up being a pretty weak class in the long run - for all teams. As of now, it appears there are only a handful of guys picked from that class who look like they will be good players and most of them were picked where Dallas was never going to be in the draft. Its tough when your first pick is #58.

I do agree though that the Cowboys need more power at DT.

J-man

Reaction score
Hill probably needs another season (maybe 2 more, hopefully not)

thems the breaks when you don't have a 1st Rd pick (Amari was worth it though)

Who are you kidding? They would never have taken a DT in rd1 anyway.

J-man

Reaction score
I'd be calling around for sure. Geno Atkins could be a nice, low cost/risk pick up from Cinncy.

J-man

Reaction score
They would absolutely draft a DT in the first. I wouldn't be surprised if they did it next time around.

No offense, but your crazy dude. I don't think they have ever drafted a DT in the first. (anyone?) And I know for a fact that this crop of coaches doesn't value them enough to do it now. Possibly for a true stud 3 tech like Donald, but absolutely not for a 1 tech, which is what we're talking about here.