Broaddus: What We’re Looking For Here At Senior Bowl (4 Players Named)

RS12

Reaction score
Pro Coaches

What I have always loved about the Senior Bowl from a scouting point of view, is how both squads are being coached this week by current NFL coaches. Part of having poor records during the season, Mike Smith from the Atlanta Falcons and Gus Bradley from the Jacksonville Jaguars staffs will lead the North and South squads this week. What is outstanding about this is that you get to observe these players out of their college element and functioning during the practices run by these coaches.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...1c8?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited by a moderator:

RS12

Reaction score
The player that has that Hatcher like size would be Hageman but on tape, I don’t believe that he has that quick twitch that Kiffin would be looking for, but we will see if that might have changed as he goes through this week. Aaron Donald will be measured Monday morning as will Will Sutton, who both would be perfect three techniques. What is interesting about Donald and Sutton is that they both are right at 6 foot tall and that is not a problem for Kiffin, as long as they both have that quick twitch that we have talked about.

What? So they going to draft based on a DC's scheme that likely wont be here in a year instead of on talent and upside?

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
How about next year's 4-3 defense.

One of the big concerns I have with him is he may be very scheme limited and our coaching staff could be completely different in 2015.

If you can play football which Donald can certainly do it doesn't really matter honestly...

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
If you can play football which Donald can certainly do it doesn't really matter honestly...

When ur playing games against old dominion, navy, new mexico, syracuse, virginia ect your stats are going to be very good. Which is why this bowl game is very important for Donald. Just like its important for guys like Derek Carr and every other player who plays against inferior opponents.

Donald had 6 sacks in his first 4 games, 5 in his last 9 games. He had a sack vs the Seminoles but didnt have the dominant game somebody said.

Donald played against 3 ranked teams and had 2 sacks, and 9 against unranked teams.From November till the end he had 3 sacks and only one in Dec/Jan. So clearly he might've been worn down by the lack of size he has. Which will only be worse in the nfl. These are all things NFL teams look at but fans dismiss or dont even think about.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
And looking further into donalds college career. It happens every yr. His production goes down drastically by the end of the yr. So clearly his lack of size is playing a big part in this.His sophmore and senior yrs were his best. His Sr yr he had 3 sacks november/dec/jan his sophmore yr he has 4 sacks in that time period. his jr yr he had 2

tm1119

Reaction score
What? So they going to draft based on a DC's scheme that likely wont be here in a year instead of on talent and upside?

I agree that drafting specifically for Marenelli is stupid, but what is Broaddus even looking at saying Hageman isn't quick?? He's a very gifted athlete for a man his size. Besides Donald and maybe Tuitt I think Hageman is the best athlete of the DT's in this class. I think Hageman puts a guy like Jernigan (who everybody seems to love for some odd reason) to shame as far as physical ability. Only question for Hageman is if he had motivational problems at Minnesota and if that will be a problem in the future. Other than that I see Hageman as an ideal 4-3 DT.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree that drafting specifically for Marenelli is stupid, but what is Broaddus even looking at saying Hageman isn't quick?? He's a very gifted athlete for a man his size. Besides Donald and maybe Tuitt I think Hageman is the best athlete of the DT's in this class. I think Hageman puts a guy like Jernigan (who everybody seems to love for some odd reason) to shame as far as physical ability. Only question for Hageman is if he had motivational problems at Minnesota and if that will be a problem in the future. Other than that I see Hageman as an ideal 4-3 DT.
I don't see a lack of quickness with Hageman. I would say that he's the quickest guy over 295 lbs.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
2 big games Donald had this yr

FSU 2 tackles 1 for loss that was a sack
ND 0 tackles 0 sacks
I don't see a lack of quickness with Hageman. I would say that he's the quickest guy over 295 lbs.
Hageman would be a 1 tech. Crawford will be playing the 1tech this yr with Bass IMO

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2 big games Donald had this yr

FSU 2 tackles 1 for loss that was a sack
ND 0 tackles 0 sacks

Hageman would be a 1 tech. Crawford will be playing the 1tech this yr with Bass IMO
Hageman could player either 3 or 1. I think he has Hatcher type quickness with 10+ pounds.

tm1119

Reaction score
Hageman could player either 3 or 1. I think he has Hatcher type quickness with 10+ pounds.

Yeah this idea that Hageman is just a big guy is kinda crazy to me. Not the extreme that Sheldon Richardson was as a freak athlete, but he's not too far off. The guy is 6'6 315 and looks like he barely has any fat on him. He would definitely be a 3 tech.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I wont take Donald at 16 but he should an option if we trade down and we should definitely be looking to trade down.

Fredd

Reaction score
some mocks have him in the middle of the 2nd or even a little lower...Donald as a 2nd rounder makes me downright giddy

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MOBILE, ALa. -- When I come to these all-star games, I always try to have a plan in how I want to study these players. With everything that is going on, you sometimes fall into a trap of trying to do too much and you miss those important moments in the practice.

My plan was to follow three defensive linemen on the North squad on Monday to try and get a better feel for how they moved around live. The three players that I chose were: Aaron Donald, Ra’Shede Hegaman and Rasheed Martin.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/a...ior-Bowl/4e25e3f8-c9da-4631-80a4-c068a1f2ce36

supercowboy8

Reaction score
'Donald for his lack of height and bulk, played with outstanding leverage against Cyril Richardson, who can be a load to deal with. Donald didn’t give an inch against Richardson and that was impressive."

This has been my guy since day one and I have been saying he is 1st round talent. He is a perfect 3 tech in this scheme.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
'Donald for his lack of height and bulk, played with outstanding leverage against Cyril Richardson, who can be a load to deal with. Donald didn’t give an inch against Richardson and that was impressive."

This has been my guy since day one and I have been saying he is 1st round talent. He is a perfect 3 tech in this scheme.

He IS a Geno Atkins/Jurell Casey clone. The key to Donald even more successful in the NFL is pairing him with a true space-eating 1T/NT. Atkins has 325+lbs. of Domata Peko next to him while Casey flourished this year with Sammie Lee Hill's massive (6'4", 330) presence next to him.

Although his build may not fit what we would think Kiffin/Marinelli, I think Justin Ellis would be a perfect partner-in-crime for Donald in Rounds 3 or 4 because of not just his girth (6'2", 335+), but his surprising quickness and agility for a man of his size.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
He IS a Geno Atkins/Jurell Casey clone. The key to Donald even more successful in the NFL is pairing him with a true space-eating 1T/NT. Atkins has 325+lbs. of Domata Peko next to him while Casey flourished this year with Sammie Lee Hill's massive (6'4", 330) presence next to him.

Although his build may not fit what we would think Kiffin/Marinelli, I think Justin Ellis would be a perfect partner-in-crime for Donald in Rounds 3 or 4 because of not just his girth (6'2", 335+), but his surprising quickness and agility for a man of his size.

We for sure need a bigger DT next to him but still some one that has strength and some pass rush move. Marinelli doesn't like real heavy guys even at the 1.
I really like DaQuan Jones 6-4 323. But now has a 2nd round grade

I don't know if it would be the best move to go two DTs early but Carolina did it last year.
I would prefer Dallas going after a vet like a Linval Joseph.

Ryan Carrethers is a guy I really like for a later pick for the 1 tech DT. 6-1 330