Broaddus: What We’re Looking For Here At Senior Bowl (4 Players Named)

tm1119

Reaction score
At 16 pick in the 1st round. You shouldn't have to teach him moves you should be coaching his moves and making them better. He should have some. He rely on his size to much.

But at 16 you want a guy that has to come off the field a lot because he won't be able to play the run?

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Lol come on, stop. Its January still. Don't get carried away because of some practice in basketball shorts. I'd bet my house Aaron Donald doesn't go in the top 10.

I hope he doesn't go top 10 and I don't think he will. I would love for him to go late 1st where we can trade and get him. Fine by me.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He can play all 3 downs. Of course on a 4-3 you want a rotation to keep your guys fresh. But Donald holds up well against the line. He uses his size to his advantage where he gets low and anchors. Uses his leverage.

so can Ware but he also needs to rotate in and out to stay fresh as part of a 4-3 DL.
you play 7-8 DL in a 4 man line for a reason.

The line needs depth more than it needs 'stars'.

i really like Donald and would see a trade down to late R1 that nets him as a prefect draft outcome.

The extra 2nd/3rd could could used to grab a fatty to play 3T if you so chose or an OL or really even BPA because that pick would be house money.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
He can play all 3 downs. Of course on a 4-3 you want a rotation to keep your guys fresh. But Donald holds up well against the line. He uses his size to his advantage where he gets low and anchors. Uses his leverage.

I dont think he can hold up a whole season with the same production he starts out with. His whole college career he has slowed down alot twards the end of the yr.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
But at 16 you want a guy that has to come off the field a lot because he won't be able to play the run?

Have you watched Seattle?
That's how a 4 man DL rotates.
No one plays more than 70% of the snaps.

That builds depth and makes you a really nasty DL in the 4th Quarter.

supercowboy8

Reaction score

No I want Donald. Have you seen him play.He plays the run very well. He sinks his hips and use his size to his advantage. He gets lower and anchors. Also did you see how he bull rushed over Richardson who is 50 pounds heavier. Donald has no problems vs the run. He uses his quickness to get off blocks and get in the running lanes and can get under blockers to anchor.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
I dont think he can hold up a whole season with the same production he starts out with. His whole college career he has slowed down alot twards the end of the yr.

I think your wrong. Teams start planning to him later in the year because his name Gets out there. Don't just look at stats. It's hard to get stats when in those games he is doubled and the offense start running the ball to the outside and the offense is doing quick throws.

It's just funny to me that Henry Melton , Geno Atkins, and Jarrell Casey all dominate and play the run very well and people think that some one with this size will have issue. Then the same people want Hageman who doesn't have anywhere near the dominant but 30 pounds and 5 inches taller.
Donald is the better player. It's that easy.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Have you watched Seattle?
That's how a 4 man DL rotates.
No one plays more than 70% of the snaps.

That builds depth and makes you a really nasty DL in the 4th Quarter.
That's what most 4-3 Dline do. The NYG were rotating all the time when they had there nasty dline

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That's what most 4-3 Dline do. The NYG were rotating all the time when they had there nasty dline

Yup. as did the 90's Cowboys tho I hate referring to 1993.
Dallas needs considerable DL depth.
A trade down would make a lot of sense if they have a guy rated in the 20s on their board that fits like they did with big beard.

That draft value may be what turns this team around.
If Frederick and TWill continue to develop as expected the team has more talent than people want to admit.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Crawford is not a 1T and has never been considered for that position form what we've been told.
He played SDE in the mini-camps and has been mentioned as a 3T.

If everything stays the same, Dallas would start Hayden at 1T.
Crawford would start at SDE or 3T and Bass would either start at 3T or back up Crawford.

A back up 1T is probably a priority this season but likely not at 16 unless they feel a guy can get a pass rush from the position.
Marinelli isn't using R1's on run stoppers.

I dont think Dallas really plays a 1tech. If they want a guy to get up the field and solid vs the run to play that 1tech style player then Crawford is best suited, I go by what Broaddus says that he's been hearing around VR. This was talked about a couple weeks back. Some people say they are just radio guys but they have ears and they report what they hear. Just like he heard that if Kiffin was gone Eberflus would be the DC. Hatcher be disliked in the lockeroom.

These guys get alot of inside info.

tm1119

Reaction score
I think your wrong. Teams start planning to him later in the year because his name Gets out there. Don't just look at stats. It's hard to get stats when in those games he is doubled and the offense start running the ball to the outside and the offense is doing quick throws.

It's just funny to me that Henry Melton , Geno Atkins, and Jarrell Casey all dominate and play the run very well and people think that some one with this size will have issue. Then the same people want Hageman who doesn't have anywhere near the dominant but 30 pounds and 5 inches taller.
Donald is the better player. It's that easy.

Yeah because 3 players you can name wouldnt be the exception or anything. Obviously every player their size after them will succeed.

And why are you comparing Donald and Hageman's stats like they played against even close to the same competition. Big Ten o lineman are a whole different world from what Donald played against.

supercowboy8

Reaction score

Let's look at the stats at the end of the year.
Donald vs Georgia Tech which was the 8th game of the year.
He had 11 tackles 6 of those for a loss and a sack

Donald vs North Carolina 10th game
He had 5 Total Tackles 3 solo tackles all 3 for a loss

Donald vs Syracuse 11th game
He had 9 total tackles 8 solo and 3.5 for a loss

In the Bowl game vs Bowling Green State
He had 5 total tackles 2 tackles for a loss and 1 sack

Also this wasn't his first year out of nowhere.
2011 he had 47 total tackles 16 for loss with 11 sacks

2012 64 total tackles. 18.5 for loss with 5.5 sacks

2013 59 total tackles 28.5 for a loss. Yes 28.5 for loss and 11 sacks.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I dont think Dallas really plays a 1tech. If they want a guy to get up the field and solid vs the run to play that 1tech style player then Crawford is best suited, I go by what Broaddus says that he's been hearing around VR. This was talked about a couple weeks back. Some people say they are just radio guys but they have ears and they report what they hear. Just like he heard that if Kiffin was gone Eberflus would be the DC. Hatcher be disliked in the lockeroom.

These guys get alot of inside info.

I like Broaddus but a lot of what he says is proven flat wrong. --which to his credit he admits.
He is a media guy now and his inside info is far less reliable than it used to be when he closer to the staff.

Crawford is in no way a 1T. He was a DE in college that was thought to be a 3-4 DE.
He was never in the ball park of run plugger or two gapper.

His best asset is his pass rush skill in a big body.
He is a 3tech or SDE this is really not in question.
Last season he came into camp as the back up to Spencer at SDE.

If you want to know what the Cowboys actually plan to do listen to Mickey.
He is the one sleeping under Jerry Jones' bed.
He really does have inside info.

Marinelli's defense does ask one guy to do the dirty work of keeping LB's free. That one guy is the 1T and Hayden is a better fit there than Crawford.

What I have heard mentioned from Broaddus is Crawford sliding down to 1T in all out passing situations to get your 4 best pass rushers on the field.
But that was worded as pure speculation not inside info.
I only hear about half of the Talking Cowboys and CBS reports so I could have missed if he sold more than that.

If we assume Spencer and Hatcher are gone there is really about zero chance Crawford would play anything other than SDE or 1T and probably a good bit of both.

supercowboy8

Reaction score
Yeah because 3 players you can name wouldnt be the exception or anything. Obviously every player their size after them will succeed.

And why are you comparing Donald and Hageman's stats like they played against even close to the same competition. Big Ten o lineman are a whole different world from what Donald played against.

Yeah because the big ten is a power house, please. Hageman with his size should have dominated the big 10. Clemson had no problem vs Ohio St.

But let's look to see what Hageman did vs lower teams.

Vs Nevada Las Vegas he had 5 tackles only 1 solo

Vs San Jose state he had 1 solo and 1 for loss

Vs Syracuse had 4 solo tackles and that's it.
Did you see what donald did vs Syracuse
8 solo tackles 3 for loss and 1 sack.

supercowboy8

Reaction score

I can name you several big strong players that failed. Size doesn't matter if the guy can play and has the right attitude and work ethics. Donald has those.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I like Broaddus but a lot of what he says is proven flat wrong. --which to his credit he admits.
He is a media guy now and his inside info is far less reliable than it used to be when he closer to the staff.

Crawford is in no way a 1T. He was a DE in college that was thought to be a 3-4 DE.
He was never in the ball park of run plugger or two gapper.

His best asset is his pass rush skill in a big body.
He is a 3tech or SDE this is really not in question.
Last season he came into camp as the back up to Spencer at SDE.

If you want to know what the Cowboys actually plan to do listen to Mickey.
He is the one sleeping under Jerry Jones' bed.
He really does have inside info.

Marinelli's defense does ask one guy to do the dirty work of keeping LB's free. That one guy is the 1T and Hayden is a better fit there than Crawford.

What I have heard mentioned from Broaddus is Crawford sliding down to 1T in all out passing situations to get your 4 best pass rushers on the field.
But that was worded as pure speculation not inside info.
I only hear about half of the Talking Cowboys and CBS reports so I could have missed if he sold more than that.

If we assume Spencer and Hatcher are gone there is really about zero chance Crawford would play anything other than SDE or 1T and probably a good bit of both.

You do know that Crawford had 33 tackles his rookie yr and didnt even start right? 33 tackles playing SDE, no sacks. Just tackles.

tm1119

Reaction score
Yeah because the big ten is a power house, please. Hageman with his size should have dominated the big 10. Clemson had no problem vs Ohio St.

But let's look to see what Hageman did vs lower teams.

Vs Nevada Las Vegas he had 5 tackles only 1 solo

Vs San Jose state he had 1 solo and 1 for loss

Vs Syracuse had 4 solo tackles and that's it.
Did you see what donald did vs Syracuse
8 solo tackles 3 for loss and 1 sack.

Big ten is absolutely a power house for offensive lineman....besides the obvious SEC you aren't going to find better o lineman else where, especially interior o lineman.

But I'm not going going to try and argue with you over this. You clearly have your mind made up on Donald and aren't going to have a reasonable conversation on anything besides him being the next Reggie White. I hope we get Donald, just not as a top 30 pick.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You do know that Crawford had 33 tackles his rookie yr and didnt even start right? 33 tackles playing SDE, no sacks. Just tackles.

Not sure what point you are trying to make here really.

He was playing DE as you mention. That's exactly what Hatcher played and had his sack total miserably reduced as well.

Crawford is a 6'4" 280-285 pound guy. He isn't a 1 tech man. He just isn't.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pro Coaches

What I have always loved about the Senior Bowl from a scouting point of view, is how both squads are being coached this week by current NFL coaches. Part of having poor records during the season, Mike Smith from the Atlanta Falcons and Gus Bradley from the Jacksonville Jaguars staffs will lead the North and South squads this week. What is outstanding about this is that you get to observe these players out of their college element and functioning during the practices run by these coaches.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/Broaddus-What-We’re-Looking-For-Here-At-Senior-Bowl/0db44e2f-f6ca-4fc2-81b4-c0456f7b11c8?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
\

"Kiffin told me that it was rare this season to have a guy like
Jason Hatcher with his height to play as a one technique in this scheme."

Broaddus keeps screwing up references to the 1 vs 3 tech positions. Hatcher played the 3-tech position. Broaddus also referred to Crawford moving to 1-tech in an article a few days ago, but it seems unlikely that a guy that was practicing DE last offseason would move to the 1-tech.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Not sure what point you are trying to make here really.

He was playing DE as you mention. That's exactly what Hatcher played and had his sack total miserably reduced as well.

Crawford is a 6'4" 280-285 pound guy. He isn't a 1 tech man. He just isn't.

My point is the SDE is similar to the duties of the 1tech. They hold up and fill that space and their first priority is to play the run. But Marinelli doesnt play a traditional 1tech and 3tech. He wants guys to get up the field. You dont think Crawford will have more success playing inside with a shorter line to the QB then trying to rush the outside? What did Crawford weigh his rookie yr? 298 there i told you. Just to get it thru your head.