Broadus thinks Vander Esch will be the pick

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Listening to the draft show they were talking about Evans and he said after talking to some of the Cowboys guys that he thinks he'll be the pick.

I guess they have some private workouts set up for him as well.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
It feels like the kind of "clever" move this Front Office likes.

Still, too many dynamics and variables in 18 picks before we select. Need to have done our homework and be ready to move up or down, depending on those 18 picks. Can;t be duped into jumping up for an unknown like Claiborne again.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It feels like the kind of "clever" move this Front Office likes.

Still, too many dynamics and variables in 18 picks before we select. Need to have done our homework and be ready to move up or down, depending on those 18 picks. Can;t be duped into jumping up for an unknown like Claiborne again.

The guy was productive and put on a show at the combine.

I know there is a Bobby Carpenter comparison floating around but I just don't see it. Carpenter was anti-physical.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not sure where I fall on this. I like Evans more.

But clearly Vander Esch has raw skills but I am not sure I want that risk at 19.

Sydla

Reaction score
I called it last week,they are forced to make this pick.LVE may work out but he is no Sean Lee.

I tend to agree. This would feel like a forced pick kind of like how they took Taco last year because they had to have a DE early in that draft.

superonyx

Reaction score
The guy was productive and put on a show at the combine.

I know there is a Bobby Carpenter comparison floating around but I just don't see it. Carpenter was anti-physical.
Blond haired white LBer is why people will do that.
I dont have strong feelings either way toward him. I know his production last season was awesome.
141 tackles. 4 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 2 interceptions........ these numbers in a college season are very impressive.
He has good size and people think his frame can hold even more size....

But i dont know if a MLB should be the pick at 19. I hear the Eagles, Pats, and Steelers are also interested in him.

Dylan88Wilson

Reaction score
Taking him at 19 seems like something we would do, but I HIGHLY doubt we don’t trade up.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My dog also thinks LVE will be the pick, fwtw. Similar reasons.

If anybody thinks Broaddus’ scouting buddies are leaking our first round pick to him, I’m not sure what to say.

This means there’s at least one scout who likes that player. Great. I like him, too. Just not at 19.

cowboyec

Reaction score
I could see it if Calvin Ridley is off the board.
Don't think Id have an issue with it because it is a BIG need....deep WR group....if Ridley is gone and LVE is the pick....can still get a really good WR in the 2nd or 3rd.

LONG way to go tho.

kskboys

Reaction score
I called it last week,they are forced to make this pick.LVE may work out but he is no Sean Lee.
Might be a faster Sean Lee.

Thing is, we don't know. He went to a smaller football school in Boise St, so hasn't faced a ton of top competition. Much easier to tackle when the tacklee doesn't possess the physical skills to evade.

I like Vander, just don't love him, and it would be taking an awfully big chance in the 1st round. For every DWare, there's tons of Byron Joneses.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
I like Evans more but I also haven’t watched much of LVE. How does he compare to Evans?

conner01

Reaction score
Not sure where I fall on this. I like Evans more.

But clearly Vander Esch has raw skills but I am not sure I want that risk at 19.
I think they want 19 to be a LB
Sure wouldn’t be my first LB choice but could be a solid player though kinda raw for 19

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

This is just like last year but instead of corners they've pigeon holed themselves into having to have linebackers.

I like Rashaan Evans. I think he'll be a BA where ever he goes.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
My dog also thinks LVE will be the pick, fwtw. Similar reasons.

If anybody thinks Broaddus’ scouting buddies are leaking our first round pick to him, I’m not sure what to say.

This means there’s at least one scout who likes that player. Great. I like him, too. Just not at 19.

They don't tell him exactly but i'm sure he gets a sense of who they like when talking to them and I think they clearly like Vander Esch.

We'll see who else is available but I wouldn't mind him at 19.

I think when you pair his production on the field to his combine and add to that he can definitely add some more weight on that frame.. I think he would be a good pick.