Brouddus names WR's the Cowboys are considering

DFWJC

Reaction score
Personally what I do in the draft in this draft if Chaisson isnt there, I trade down in the 1st and take Reagor. Give me 5 years of contract control at the WR

That also gives me 4 picks in the top 100. Then I start to look at the defense
Are you a TCU fan?
Honest question
Just wondering....with so many really good WRs why you would build your draft philosophy around, of all players, Reagor. I like him too, but I don't see amazing value in taking him late in the 1st round....at all.
jmo

DFWJC

Reaction score
Can you believe he was actually a paid Cowboys scout at one time? Hard to fathom.
xw REALLY hates Broaddus for some reason
:lmao:
Every year he insults him very personally and relentlessly.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Are you a TCU fan?
Honest question
Just wondering....with so many really good WRs why you would build your draft philosophy around, of all players, Reagor. I like him too, but I don't see amazing value in taking him late in the 1st round....at all.
jmo
No, but I value Reagor alot higher than most. I think he can be a Steve Smith WR. Got no problems taking him in the 1st, and personally think he is better than Mims

RS12

Reaction score
Can you believe he was actually a paid Cowboys scout at one time? Hard to fathom.
Not defending Broaddus but he is probably par for the course when it comes to scouting. Whole lot of nepotism and cronyism when it comes to those positions. Brother in law needs a job, hey why don't you become a scout for us. Even the best are right about half the time. At this point I just want to know what Broaddus has heard from his contacts. Smoke screen or not.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
WR3 is a starter and passing offense is by far the most important part of a team.

There is no more pressing need than WR.
This is just a bad take. it's common but bad.
You can go back through any of the last 5 drafts and I can show WRs better in round 2 or 3 then in 1.
Lamb is my WR1 but he's at most a hair better than WR5.
And as WR3 that hair is non-existent.

Using 17 on a WR3 with Cooper and Gallup set in place for 2-3 years would be a criminally bad use of resources.

Ruggs is an elite weapon but he isn't a very good WR. He's basically a healthier Tavon Austin. Avoid at all costs at 17.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The one thing the Cowboys got right in the last few drafts was 2 years ago when they selected LVE/LB over WR in Round 1.
They sat and a WR fell to them in Round 3, Michael Gallup, who is was FAR less polished than Calvin Ridley but has a much higher ceiling.
Gallup looks destined for stardom and put up better stats in year 2... TWO.
He caught the R1 lock and elite "faller" in 2 seasons....

ATL took Ridley and was supposedly the best offense ever created. You know, team 40 burger.
They went from back to back playoff team to now missing the playoffs two years running.
Their biggest needs? All levels of defense. ALL.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This is just a bad take. it's common but bad.
You can go back through any of the last 5 drafts and I can show WRs better in round 2 or 3 then in 1.
Lamb is my WR1 but he's at most a hair better than WR5.
And as WR3 that hair is non-existent.

Using 17 on a WR3 with Cooper and Gallup set in place for 2-3 years would be a criminally bad use of resources.

Ruggs is an elite weapon but he isn't a very good WR. He's basically a healthier Tavon Austin. Avoid at all costs at 17.
Well half of this has nothing to do with anything I said.

But no, investing in 3 WRs is not poor resource use, because it means investing in the passing offense. It is the smartest thing you can do for a football team in 2020.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Well half of this has nothing to do with anything I said.

But no, investing in 3 WRs is not poor resource use, because it means investing in the passing offense. It is the smartest thing you can do for a football team in 2020.

You improve the passing game in many ways. WRs are the most commonly available position players in both free agency and the NFL draft.
Dallas WR3 was Cole Beasley then Randall Cobb for the last 7-8 years.
WR3 is not a problem.

Back when they lacked WR1, yes THAT was a problem.
But they landed WR1 then added a high end WR2 in round 3.

You can sign 2-3 guys who would be immediate plus WR3 in free agency right now.
Another 2-3 you could trade for without using premium draft resources.
Then you can draft any of about 10 guys who can be a good WR3.

Dallas will ignore WR at 17 then line up a quite good WR3 this fall.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You improve the passing game in many ways. WRs are the most commonly available position players in both free agency and the NFL draft.
Dallas WR3 was Cole Beasley then Randall Cobb for the last 7-8 years.
WR3 is not a problem.

Back when they lacked WR1, yes THAT was a problem.
But they landed WR1 then added a high end WR2 in round 3.

You can sign 2-3 guys who would be immediate plus WR3 in free agency right now.
Another 2-3 you could trade for without using premium draft resources.
Then you can draft any of about 10 guys who can be a good WR3.

Dallas will ignore WR at 17 then line up a quite good WR3 this fall.
WR3 is a starter. There is no starting-calibre FA available right now, and Cobb wasn't one last year.

I don't care what they've done in the past. They have a massive hole at WR3, which is a starter. It's no different than CB, DE, S or whatever other position you want to pick. The difference is that it's way more valuable than all of those spots.

Can you get a good WR in the second round? Maybe. But you can get a difference-maker at 17.

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score
No, but I value Reagor alot higher than most. I think he can be a Steve Smith WR. Got no problems taking him in the 1st, and personally think he is better than Mims

I like reagor too, but if he isn't there at 51 im not interested, and with such a deep wr class and many other needs, I'd rather wait

Creeper

Reaction score
Not long ago, the Cowboys had to address the defense. Now we are talking WR and C. How quickly things change.

I still think they need a dominant DT. If Brown or Kinlaw is available, he has to be the guy. If not one of them, the take Henderson.

But if these guys are all gone but Ruggs or Jeudy is there, how can they not consider taking him? They need a slot receiver and both of these guys will be very effective there.