Browns could void Watson contract with 24th case

joseephuss

Reaction score
If the NYT piece is accurate and he had 66 different masseuses, that means there are 42 that have not come forth so are we to assume Watson didn”t pull his funny stuff with them or did they just go along and remain silent?

Isn’t it interesting that his lawyers haven’t brought any of these 42 forward to vouch that he was a gentleman?

It is also interesting that no other players they have spoken to have ever approached that number of different masseuses, not even close. They find one that has the touch and they stay with them.

I thought his legal team found several women that said they massaged him with no issues at all and provided affidavits. I could be mis-remembering. Not 42, but some. It is possible a few women he met with didn't care if he was a gentleman or not. He wasn't looking for massage therapists listed in the Better Business Bureau. He was hitting up women from various avenues. Perhaps he found a few that were looking for the same thing he was. I wonder if any other player on the Texans used the same locations provided by the franchise for their massages or any of the same women.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought his legal team found several women that said they massaged him with no issues at all and provided affidavits. I could be mis-remembering. Not 42, but some. It is possible a few women he met with didn't care if he was a gentleman or not. He wasn't looking for massage therapists listed in the Better Business Bureau. He was hitting up women from various avenues. Perhaps he found a few that were looking for the same thing he was. I wonder if any other player on the Texans used the same locations provided by the franchise for their massages or any of the same women.
I do not recall that but this has been going on for so long I could have forgotten.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
MOST LIKELY they would renegotiate with Watson to reduce his cap hits early and spread his money out but little overall impact on his overall deal.

But Watson has got to be suspended and by that I mean significant game totals.
This many cases ....

CLE has a good football team. I doubt they want to have a guy sit a year but that may well happen.

But provided Watson hasn't air humped massage therapists after these cases I doubt he ever sees real penalties beyond 1 lengthy suspension, financial payouts and the hit to his reputation.
CLE bet on the long game with Watson and they gotta pay the piper here.

Flamma

Reaction score

It's been a long time so my memory is foggy on this as well. I think what they found were women that said what they did was consensual. But not anyone that said he just got a normal massage and that was that.

lukin2006

Reaction score
How has he not be suspended? And I really hope this move backfires on the Browns…

joseephuss

Reaction score
It's been a long time so my memory is foggy on this as well. I think what they found were women that said what they did was consensual. But not anyone that said he just got a normal massage and that was that.

I agree, this has gone on long enough to forget a few of the details that have occurred. I had to look it up and did find links talking about 18 massage therapists who had come forward(contacting Rusty Hardin's law firm) saying he was professional, he didn't make them feel uncomfortable and did not come across as he was looking for anything more than a massage.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks like 18 say he's a standup guy, 26 say he's a perv and who knows about the other 22? But 66 ain't normal.

CLE has pissed off the other owners with QB's coming up by establishing a floor of 46M guaranteed to a guy with questionable morals and likely to be suspended for a full season, after sitting out the previous season. They gave up draft picks on top of that.

If they think agents are going to bypass this, they weren't watching the Cousins raising of the floor. And he isn't considered a Tier 1 on any lists and few have him at Tier 2.

There isn't a better candidate for poor management than the Cleveland Browns. And I can only imagine how well liked they are by the management of the Bengals and Ravens, who have Jackson up now.

One positive for the other 31 teams, every fan of a team other than the Browns is happy they're not a Browns fan.

Flamma

Reaction score
Looks like 18 say he's a standup guy, 26 say he's a perv and who knows about the other 22? But 66 ain't normal.

CLE has pissed off the other owners with QB's coming up by establishing a floor of 46M guaranteed to a guy with questionable morals and likely to be suspended for a full season, after sitting out the previous season. They gave up draft picks on top of that.

If they think agents are going to bypass this, they weren't watching the Cousins raising of the floor. And he isn't considered a Tier 1 on any lists and few have him at Tier 2.

There isn't a better candidate for poor management than the Cleveland Browns. And I can only imagine how well liked they are by the management of the Bengals and Ravens, who have Jackson up now.

One positive for the other 31 teams, every fan of a team other than the Browns is happy they're not a Browns fan.

The Browns seem to be ok with your scenario. Remember, they don't exist to please the Bengals or Ravens.

Better to use the Bengals and Chargers, as both of their QBs will be extended after this season. For some reason Jackson refused to negotiate contract for all of this time. He is now entering into his 5th year option. That may have been a mistake.

Unless the Ravens are playing the Cowboys, every time I watch Jackson, he doesn't look very good. I wouldn't pay that guy 20M let alone 46M.

kskboys

Reaction score
How has he not be suspended? And I really hope this move backfires on the Browns…
League is gathering info and trying to sort this out. Plus, Houston made a monstrous mistake last season by not playing him and forcing the league's hand. At this point, criminal charges have been dropped, so now it's a matter of figuring out the correct punishment for conduct detrimental.

So, he has not been suspended at this point because he was not eligible to play last season. Make sense?

kskboys

Reaction score

He is pretty much widely considered tier one.

Browns are desperate as they finally figured out that Mayfield is a backup type player. They are loaded w/ talent and desperately need a QB. If Peepeeslap can play, he makes them an instant super bowl contender. If not this season, then next season.

Flamma

Reaction score
League is gathering info and trying to sort this out. Plus, Houston made a monstrous mistake last season by not playing him and forcing the league's hand. At this point, criminal charges have been dropped, so now it's a matter of figuring out the correct punishment for conduct detrimental.

So, he has not been suspended at this point because he was not eligible to play last season. Make sense?

A few questions. Why would that be a mistake on Houston's part? They got what they wanted. It might be bad for the Browns.

Isn't it possible that the league would have just allowed him to play until the investigation was over?

kskboys

Reaction score
A few questions. Why would that be a mistake on Houston's part? They got what they wanted. It might be bad for the Browns.

Isn't it possible that the league would have just allowed him to play until the investigation was over?
Hous got very lucky they found someone stupid enough to give them 3 firsts for a suspended player. Very dumb, and they got lucky.

If they put him in, the league would have been forced to take action, and his suspension would be almost done already. This is all about image, and allowing him to play was never in the cards.

Flamma

Reaction score
Hous got very lucky they found someone stupid enough to give them 3 firsts for a suspended player. Very dumb, and they got lucky.

If they put him in, the league would have been forced to take action, and his suspension would be almost done already. This is all about image, and allowing him to play was never in the cards.

I just don't see how that would have helped Houston. I see your point. Get his suspension done with so you can trade the player. But what if the league lets him play until the investigation is over? He gets hurt, and there goes his trade value. I think Houston expected someone to trade for him, and they were right. But 3 first rounders? that was ridiculous.

RonWashington

Reaction score
If Roger Goodwill takes Watson off the chess board for one season who’s Amari got throwing bombs to him ? Mayfield I suppose , The Browns didn’t think this through you sign a QB to a mega deal but have Mayfield in the wings ?

He had shoulder surgery off season and if he comes back to 2 yrs ago level didn’t they go AFC title game against the Chiefs when the week before the Browns torched the Steelers for what 49 ? People weren’t trashing the dude then . Even LeBowski thought he was a “dude” of sufficient talent .

RonWashington

Reaction score
See Houston grabbed a 3rd rounder out of a major conf and Davis goes into yr 2 with experience and confidence , Yr 2 of a 4yr or bust Dak deal at some point in the coming yrs Dallas will have to use some draft capital on a QB to either challenge or be the dude .

lukin2006

Reaction score

yes. Thank you.

lukin2006

Reaction score

46 million guaranteed. Wow. That’s such a Browns move…

kskboys

Reaction score
See Houston grabbed a 3rd rounder out of a major conf and Davis goes into yr 2 with experience and confidence , Yr 2 of a 4yr or bust Dak deal at some point in the coming yrs Dallas will have to use some draft capital on a QB to either challenge or be the dude .
I like a lot of what I've seen from Davis. Dude definitely has some moxie and knows how to play the position, now it's just a matter of when and if the game slows down for him.

kskboys

Reaction score
If Roger Goodwill takes Watson off the chess board for one season who’s Amari got throwing bombs to him ? Mayfield I suppose , The Browns didn’t think this through you sign a QB to a mega deal but have Mayfield in the wings ?

He had shoulder surgery off season and if he comes back to 2 yrs ago level didn’t they go AFC title game against the Chiefs when the week before the Browns torched the Steelers for what 49 ? People weren’t trashing the dude then . Even LeBowski thought he was a “dude” of sufficient talent .
Browns realized(finally) that Mayfield is not an NFL starter. I can't say I'd have done what they did trading for Watson, but I don't blame them. Mayfield quite simply is not the answer.

kskboys

Reaction score
I just don't see how that would have helped Houston. I see your point. Get his suspension done with so you can trade the player. But what if the league lets him play until the investigation is over? He gets hurt, and there goes his trade value. I think Houston expected someone to trade for him, and they were right. But 3 first rounders? that was ridiculous.
OK, let me try again!!!!!

If Houston gets his suspension over with as they should have done, Watson's value goes up. There were not a ton of teams in the bidding. They got very very very lucky that any team was still willing to give up 3 firsts for a player fixing to be suspended. If CLEV doesn't get stupid, they don't get anywhere near this take.

Increased value.