Browns could void Watson contract with 24th case

kskboys

Reaction score
If Roger Goodwill takes Watson off the chess board for one season who’s Amari got throwing bombs to him ? Mayfield I suppose , The Browns didn’t think this through you sign a QB to a mega deal but have Mayfield in the wings ?

He had shoulder surgery off season and if he comes back to 2 yrs ago level didn’t they go AFC title game against the Chiefs when the week before the Browns torched the Steelers for what 49 ? People weren’t trashing the dude then . Even LeBowski thought he was a “dude” of sufficient talent .
Browns will suck, and Texans will get a nice draft pick!!

Flamma

Reaction score
OK, let me try again!!!!!

If Houston gets his suspension over with as they should have done, Watson's value goes up. There were not a ton of teams in the bidding. They got very very very lucky that any team was still willing to give up 3 firsts for a player fixing to be suspended. If CLEV doesn't get stupid, they don't get anywhere near this take.

Increased value.

Yeah I see your angle here, but would the league have suspended him right away? I'm not so sure. Doesn't the league usually wait until it's investigation is concluded before handing out a suspension? Like they did with Zeke?

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah I see your angle here, but would the league have suspended him right away? I'm not so sure. Doesn't the league usually wait until it's investigation is concluded before handing out a suspension? Like they did with Zeke?
Not the point. Houston needed to press the issue, force them to act if they were going to act. Since they were still surprisingly able to get three 1sts, it turned out OK, but they just got lucky.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Browns realized(finally) that Mayfield is not an NFL starter. I can't say I'd have done what they did trading for Watson, but I don't blame them. Mayfield quite simply is not the answer.

How then did Cleveland torch the Steelers for 49 and go AFC Championship game if Mayfield is more Curtis Mayfield then NFL starter .

Haven’t sniffed an NFC championship game in many a moon in Dallas

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
How then did Cleveland torch the Steelers for 49 and go AFC Championship game if Mayfield is more Curtis Mayfield then NFL starter .

Haven’t sniffed an NFC championship game in many a moon in Dallas
One game. Don't ever use one game to come to a conclusion about a player's career. Nick Foles sucks as a starter.

OH, and just so you know for future reference. Mayfield had 263 yds passing in that game. CLEV scored 28 in the 1st qtr. 21 of those were off TO's. Gotta evaluate the game before you just give credit to the QB.

RonWashington

Reaction score
One game. Don't ever use one game to come to a conclusion about a player's career. Nick Foles sucks as a starter.

OH, and just so you know for future reference. Mayfield had 263 yds passing in that game. CLEV scored 28 in the 1st qtr. 21 of those were off TO's. Gotta evaluate the game before you just give credit to the QB.

They scored 49 . Not bad . And look they made it to the AFC Championship game so that says they had a great season not just one game . The guy played with a bum shoulder last year even if it was the left shoulder , had surgery.

If Goodwill is consistent Watson doesn’t see the field this year I would say Mayfieid gets one shot this year to show other NFL clubs if he’s a starting QB in the league.

Flamma

Reaction score
They scored 49 . Not bad . And look they made it to the AFC Championship game so that says they had a great season not just one game . The guy played with a bum shoulder last year even if it was the left shoulder , had surgery.

If Goodwill is consistent Watson doesn’t see the field this year I would say Mayfieid gets one shot this year to show other NFL clubs if he’s a starting QB in the league.

The Browns did not reach the AFC Championship game. They were a 6th seed that lost to the Chiefs in the Divisional round after beating Pitt with 48 points. A decent season, but nothing to write home about.

RonWashington

Reaction score
The Browns did not reach the AFC Championship game. They were a 6th seed that lost to the Chiefs in the Divisional round after beating Pitt with 48 points. A decent season, but nothing to write home about.

Your right my mistake thought when they got past Pitt that next game was for the AFC it’s a been a few yrs ago . Still further then Dallas has gone of late . He’s a journeymen no more no less certainly not worth the lottery contract .

As to Watson doubt if he sees the field in 22

Flamma

Reaction score
Your right my mistake thought when they got past Pitt the next game was for the AFC . Still further then Dallas has gone of late . He’s a journeymen no more no less certainly not worth the lottery contract .
As to Watson doubt if he sees the field in 22

We were like the Steelers were that year, a 3 getting beat by a 6 seed. I'm not as down on Mayfield as most are. But I don't see what the Browns could have done. If they wanted to keep Mayfield past his rookie contract, they would have to pay him 40-45M per season. These quarterbacks won't accept less from the team that drafted them. They have to actually leave the team and make less elsewhere. Jameis Winston comes to mind. The same problem the Cards are having with Kyler Murray. Would you pay Kyler 45M per?

RonWashington

Reaction score
We were like the Steelers were that year, a 3 getting beat by a 6 seed. I'm not as down on Mayfield as most are. But I don't see what the Browns could have done. If they wanted to keep Mayfield past his rookie contract, they would have to pay him 40-45M per season. These quarterbacks won't accept less from the team that drafted them. They have to actually leave the team and make less elsewhere. Jameis Winston comes to mind. The same problem the Cards are having with Kyler Murray. Would you pay Kyler 45M per?

Kyler won’t be seeing any SB’s except on TV.

RonWashington

Reaction score
As to the Browns sure you don’t want to pay Baker but you trade for a QB caught up in legal drama ?

Flamma

Reaction score
As to the Browns sure you don’t want to pay Baker but you trade for a QB caught up in legal drama ?

Apparently they don't care if he's suspended a year. You can see it by the way they structured his contract. His base pay is 1M for this season. That's the most the league can take from him this year. It looks like they're perfectly ok with this.

kskboys

Reaction score

They. Not Baker. We were talking specifically about Baker, not the Browns team.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watson screws up and sits out for a full season and gets rewarded with the best QB contract in NFL history with 230M fully guaranteed and to top that off CLE writes the contract that the most he can lose this season is 1M of the 46M salary.

The most interesting thing to watch now is the effect this deal has on the upcoming QB’s. I can only imagine the agents’ eyes lighting up when they heard about this deal.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Not the point. Houston needed to press the issue, force them to act if they were going to act. Since they were still surprisingly able to get three 1sts, it turned out OK, but they just got lucky.

I agree the Texans were lucky the Browns gave up three first round picks. I don't think Houston pressing the issue would have changed anything. The league probably would have just used the commissioner's exempt list to deal with the situation instead of a suspension. Would have essentially been the same situation as the Texans just sitting Watson as they did. It wouldn't have changed his trade value. As it turned out, the Browns don't seem to care about his trade value. I truly doubt any other situation no matter what actions the Texans did or did not take was going to end up better than what they got for Watson. It was luck and sometimes that matters.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Says a lot about what Cleveland thinks of Baker.
This situation is what many teams face and it is the ultimate "do we think we can do better?" dilemma.

Teams that have a 3rd Tier and building a contender around that is a lot more difficult with the rising salaries. And some debate just where they think their QB honestly falls on the ranking scale.

I do not think Mayfield gets out of that Tier 3 level and they thought they could get at least a Tier 2 QB. DEN decided to stop trying to draft one and trade for one as well.

Teams like ATL, CAR, NO, NYG and PIT have to make those decisions this season and possible PHL and WAS as well.

This is the problem I have with the Prescott unrest, how do they upgrade form him? And these posters that have him at the lower Tier 3 level can't be serious. The game is to get at least a Tier 2 QB and I think they have that. Lower Tier 2 but he is there.

Last edited: