News: Browns restructure WR Cooper's contract to create $15 million in cap room

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Exactly.............to trade a legit #1 WR in the NFL for a bag of Doritos is just pure incompetence.:angry:

In their eyes....Cooper was becoming a distraction. Question is.....can you really blame him? He was basically being ignored in the offense as the season progressed. He was brought here to be your #1 WR.....and he was being phased out by your QB. Would have pissed me off too.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
We didn’t take full advantage of his skills.

This past year we didn't take advantage of a lot of players' skills.

The second half of the season was a real nightmare from a management standpoint.

This was a very talented team. Maybe the best on paper. Things happened along the way. That is common to all NFL teams.

The difficulties with the players' performance at the end was not solely because the players were to blame. They are the same players. IMO, it was more the management.

When I see chaos and lack of efficiency on the production floor, it's not always the workers fault. Most of the time, IMO, it the fault of management.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This past year we didn't take advantage of a lot of players' skills.

The second half of the season was a real nightmare from a management standpoint.

This was a very talented team. Maybe the best on paper. Things happened along the way. That is common to all NFL teams.

The difficulties with the players' performance at the end was not solely because the players were to blame. They are the same players. IMO, it was more the management.

When I see chaos and lack of efficiency on the production floor, it's not always the workers fault. Most of the time, IMO, it the fault of management.

The problems the second half of the season started with Dak and Tyron’s injuries. Dak never returned to the MVP form he displayed the first six games of the season and Tyron started missing games. The OL which looked solid early on began to regress and had no continuity. It resulted in our running game disappearing. Collins play dropped off. We started juggling Connor Williams and Connor McGovern. Neither player was getting it done. The only consistent player we had on the OL was Martin. The penalties kept increasing as the season went on.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Why though? I would've either taken decent compensation or restructured like Cleveland did. He's 27, it's not as if you're binding yourself to an over the hill player.

We telegraphed our intentions, did the same with LC. It's flat out stupid.
Except stories about Cooper's contract and his possibility of being released circulated even before the season began, if not at the beginning of the season. And Dallas seem to be one of a few teams that wanted Cooper. After two years, is his value going to increase?
Be that as it may, yes, the Jones talk too much, but I don't think it made a difference in this case. I mean, if there were a market for him, do you think another team wouldn't have been willing to give a 4th for Cooper instead of the 5th the Browns coughed up for him?

Reactions: CWR

starfan1

Reaction score
If Cooper puts a bigger numbers in Cleveland than any of our receivers put up next season it will lead to the crying on this board being even louder than usual.
Not sure why anyone would doubt that coops numbers won’t be solid . They got a good line a better rb and a better qb

and OC that will use him more like he ours did 2018. So only a naive fan wouldn’t expect it. Now a lot depends on health but I fully expect better numbers .

so whining would be dumb now the question is how our offense does. If we don’t get better in trenches we will be worse

Hadenough

Reaction score
We didn’t take full advantage of his skills. If he has a big year in Cleveland which is very possible with Deshaun Watson there’s going to be a lot of crying on this board especially if the Cowboys aren’t playing well and our receivers aren’t stepping up. We may be seeing a lot of Amari Cooper highlights next season. We should have found a way to keep him.
I kinda doubt it! He has no heart

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I kinda doubt it! He has no heart

He was playing hurt most of the time, how is that not having any heart? He always had something ailing him but he was out there. The team has no heart. Every time we get punched in the mouth we start to fold.

CWR

Reaction score
Except stories about Cooper's contract and his possibility of being released circulated even before the season began, if not at the beginning of the season. And Dallas seem to be one of a few teams that wanted Cooper. After two years, is his value going to increase?
Be that as it may, yes, the Jones talk too much, but I don't think it made a difference in this case. I mean, if there were a market for him, do you think another team wouldn't have been willing to give a 4th for Cooper instead of the 5th the Browns coughed up for him?

I don't know man. I see a 27 year old route running technician who was at 1100 and 6 most his time here and it's hard for me to believe we couldn't get more. That contract is a beast, but the Browns have shown you can maneuver and manage it. I would've thought a third, but even a fourth wouldn't have felt like a slap in the face.

Hadenough

Reaction score
He was playing hurt most of the time, how is that not having any heart? He always had something ailing him but he was out there. The team has no heart. Every time we get punched in the mouth we start to fold.
You should watch his blocking on that last drive against the 49ers. Had he done his job Dallas might have been in much better position to score. He stood around while the guy he was supposed to block made the tackles on Ceedee and Pollard.

J-man

Reaction score
My only issue with moving on from Coop is, who will be the #1 WR?

CD Lamb didn't really look like he was progressing much last year, in fact I'd say he regress a little. IMHO, he's a dynamic slot WR, not a #1 outside possession target. He can be dangerous and turn YAC into TD's but he isn't the guy to run those precession routes needed when the heat is on.
Gallup will probably be the one to fill that role but...I just don't know if he can. He has the size and good enough hands to do it, but can he run those routes? IMHO, he's a good #2, that usually doesn't equal quality #1 when tried in the past.
Washington will give them the field stretcher they have desperately needed but not much more.
Brown isn't anything but a fill in special teamer.

I think we'll see a very early draft pick going to WR.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The Cowboys can do whatever they want and they are doing fine. They are in position to win their division again and be one of the best teams in the league again. The drama here is hilarious and ridiculous. The Cowboys will sign more players and they will draft some more good players as well.

Cowboys one of the best teams in the league:lmao::lmao2::laugh::lmao::lmao2::laugh::lmao::lmao2::laugh::lmao:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You should watch his blocking on that last drive against the 49ers. Had he done his job Dallas might have been in much better position to score. He stood around while the guy he was supposed to block made the tackles on Ceedee and Pollard.

Everything went wrong on that last drive. He had 6 catches for 64 yards and a TD. He was our only receiver with a touchdown. He’s not one of the players I would be pointing the finger at for that loss. Lamb who will be taking over for him only had one catch along with another drop. Cedrick Wilson had 5 catches. He and Cooper combined for 11 catches against San Francisco and both players are gone. Spin what you want but Cooper was one of our best players and our best receiver.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
I have zero issues in getting rid of 19 and 71. My issue I have is us telegraphing our feelings to the media and killing their trade value. The lack of compensation for both is disgusting

I disagree with the Front Office getting rid of both players. I echo the sentiments of some here and did hope that we could have found a way to keep them. With that said I agree with you about how it was handled.

Sydla

Reaction score
Again, even if you buy into this idea that they had to move him (for whatever reason), the return in the trade was dreadful. Of course after the deal went down the front office likely leaked stories about how the return was so low because of the contract and teams were balking at paying any premium picks for that contract............ and then a few days later, the Browns restructure Cooper, create space and while some long term pain, not a ton.

Jerry and Stephen got hoodwinked.

Ken

Reaction score
pick the better combo

Dak + Lamb
or
Watson + Cooper
Hard to say.

Too many variables. Will Lamb keep getting better, because he needs to. Will the cowboys get him the ball more as a dynamic RAC guy?

Will Watson be suspended? Will cooper disappear in tough road games and cold-weather games?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
In their eyes....Cooper was becoming a distraction. Question is.....can you really blame him? He was basically being ignored in the offense as the season progressed. He was brought here to be your #1 WR.....and he was being phased out by your QB. Would have pissed me off too.
dak can't see when he's scared, which is anytime he has to go through his reads. if he ain't open at the get-go he ain't getting the ball. Rush had no problems trusting and finding him. oh well, we don't need him if your QB can't see him. good lucky backup WR's dak ain't going to see you guys this year either.