News: Browns restructure WR Cooper's contract to create $15 million in cap room

CWR

Reaction score
Coop is who he is.

The Cowboys moved on for the same reason the Raiders moved on. Being paid $20m for less than 1k yards receiving.

If he balls out in Cleveland, it will be simply because of Deshaun being a way better QB than Dak

Yes, let's pretend his last 8 games or so was the sum total of his time in Dallas. We can just ignore him avg 1100 and 6 WITH DAK during the prior 3 seasons.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm convinced it was the missed games due to covid, non-vax, and attending public events unmasked that did Cooper in more than his lack of production for various reasons. Same for Collins, the suspension and ducking the drug tests were held against him as well. Cowboys can move everyone else's money around but Amari's.

Agree. We could have restructured but didn’t want it.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yes, let's pretend his last 8 games or so was the sum total of his time in Dallas. We can just ignore him avg 1100 and 6 WITH DAK during the prior 3 seasons.

Think of a different angle. If they want to pay Lamb after next season, and they restructure Cooper this season, can you imagine the cap hit just the 3 WRs would have at some point? Next year might be a problem. I guess they could have pushed money around. But maybe they just don't want to spend the money.

Reactions: CWR

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Isn’t it easier to restructure after a trade? Doesn’t the sending team eat the guaranteed or bonus portion as far as cap dollars, basically giving the receiving team a flat salary to play with?

CWR

Reaction score
Think of a different angle. If they want to pay Lamb after next season, and they restructure Cooper this season, can you imagine the cap hit just the 3 WRs would have at some point? Next year might be a problem. I guess they could have pushed money around. But maybe they just don't want to spend the money.

Sure, and Gallup was a better value. We just don't know if him and CD are capable of stepping up enough to fill the void. I'd be much more on board if the move signified returning to the run game.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
I get the feeling that more went on behind closed doors with Coop and Collins thab we are hearing. Something happened I think because the boys were adamant about moving on from those 2

Flamma

Reaction score
Sure, and Gallup was a better value. We just don't know if him and CD are capable of stepping up enough to fill the void. I'd be much more on board if the move signified returning to the run game.

If you have a good gameplan, running attack, and good defense, it shouldn't matter. Dallas went 13-3 with Dez out half the season, Terrence Williams, Beasley, and an aging Witten. Dallas didn't even have a good defense. It can be done, but can the coaching staff put it together?

Me personally, we're not winning crap. Our offense has been the exact same crap since 2019. The difference in records id because of our D. I'd focus more on the defense as a result. Don't assume the offense is going to do what they haven't been able to do the last 3 years.

Reactions: CWR

Cmac

Reaction score
It sucks that he is gone, but maybe Moore plans to change the dynamic of the offense, and is fine with Lamb, Gallup, Schultz, and the Rb's

Money off the books, and those weapons are pretty good
If KMoore is making decisions like that........we in trouble, and it appears he is HC in waiting.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
If KMoore is making decisions like that........we in trouble, and it appears he is HC in waiting.

He didnt make the decision, but I am sure he was asked in some form about an offensive plan without cooper

CWR

Reaction score
If you have a good gameplan, running attack, and good defense, it shouldn't matter. Dallas went 13-3 with Dez out half the season, Terrence Williams, Beasley, and an aging Witten. Dallas didn't even have a good defense. It can be done, but can the coaching staff put it together?

Me personally, we're not winning crap. Our offense has been the exact same crap since 2019. The difference in records id because of our D. I'd focus more on the defense as a result. Don't assume the offense is going to do what they haven't been able to do the last 3 years.

Scary thing is the league seemed to figure out the best way to defend this offense. If they don't change, it will be the end of them.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Cooper was supposed to help Dallas reach the Superbowl. They only made the playoffs twice with him. He only produced 68 receptions third-lowest of his career for 865 yards second-lowest & eight touchdowns last season.

There isn't a owner in the league that would continue giving this man $100 million. Releasing him made room to keep players who want to actually win, Gallup & Schultz. Now we know why he was released by the Raiders. Touche' primadonna!

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

I'm convinced it was the missed games due to covid, non-vax, and attending public events unmasked that did Cooper in more than his lack of production for various reasons. Same for Collins, the suspension and ducking the drug tests were held against him as well. Cowboys can move everyone else's money around but Amari's.

Whilst I agree that those factors played a part it Coop going it still doesnt distract from the fact that we arent in a position to do what the Browns just did in restructuring the contract....we're already playing Dak $21.8m in 2025 for not playing for us. We can't afford to add Coops $7.5m to another Void contract in 2025.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It sucks that he is gone, but maybe Moore plans to change the dynamic of the offense, and is fine with Lamb, Gallup, Schultz, and the Rb's

Money off the books, and those weapons are pretty good

But Dak sucks, remember?

:laugh:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper was supposed to help Dallas reach the Superbowl. They only made the playoffs twice with him. He only produced 68 receptions third-lowest of his career for 865 yards second-lowest & eight touchdowns last season.

There isn't a owner in the league that would continue giving this man $100 million. Releasing him made room to keep players who want to actually win, Gallup & Schultz. Now we know why he was released by the Raiders. Touche' primadonna!

Yep.

And folks forget this (the NFL) is a "transition" business model.

The system does not allow for the stockpiling of high-priced talent. Simply doesn't work that way and teams that attempt that are soon punished by the tightening of the salary cap noose.

The Cowboys have a terrific replacement in Lamb– Who's put up some excellent numbers the last two seasons, and himself will cost a bundle here soon.

I have almost zero-doubt that Gallup will make a full recovery and he himself is a very good receiver.

dfense

Reaction score
Cleveland is not purgatory like it used to be. It wont digest for Cowboys fans but Cowboys are the purgatory. Browns front office and team is better than Cowboys.
Browns front office drafted a short, questionable QB, and moved up to do it with Josh Allen sitting there, They had 3 top 5 picks in 2 years. And they are not a playoff team in 2021. So much better.

Creeper

Reaction score

It was misplaced blame. The Cowboys won the division and made the playoffs. They had a chance to go further in the playoffs with Cooper in the lineup. What happened in the middle of the season was irrelevant. I am not a Cooper fan but he was not the reason the Cowboys lost to SF.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Add to that the veiled comment he made about the QB and targets. No player is allowed to speak out about The Chosen One. Ask Beasley and Cooper.

Creeper

Reaction score
Exactly............We are going to have over $30 mill in cap space on June 1st, barring a major singing but we all know that aint happening, and Cooper's cap hit this year is $5 million. We could have easily afforded that.

Yeah, they probably got pissed he never got vaccinated for Covid and ended up missing a couple of games over it. Jerry even went on the radio and cried about it.

So shipping him to Clevland for a bag of Doritos was their way of "punishing" him..........................it was never about the cap.

:hammer:

The Cowboys could have restructured Cooper's contract too with the same result almost. Cooper had a $2 million pro-rated bonus for 2022, but the $20 million in salary could have been converted to bonus and spread out over his contract. The Cowboys could have gotten a $12 million CAP save. Like La'el Collins the timing of the trade minimized his value.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What’s new there’s always crying on this board regardless of topic

If Cooper puts a bigger numbers in Cleveland than any of our receivers put up next season it will lead to the crying on this board being even louder than usual.

stiletto

Reaction score

Everybody with half a brain knows that wasn't ALL Coopers fault..