Brugler Mock 3.0 3/7/23

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He is neither Kelce or Kittle.

In fact, he’s more Chris Cooley than either of those guys.
The Kelce/Kittle reference is a lazy way of saying a describing a TE who can provide mismatches vrs LB especially up the middle.
His positive isn't so much positions upgrade, its more he'd provide the receiving upgrade, when at 26 its likely the receiving options are going to be slot only (or at least receivers who's RD1 value is based on their slit performance).

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The Kelce/Kittle reference is a lazy way of saying a describing a TE who can provide mismatches vrs LB especially up the middle.
His positive isn't so much positions upgrade, its more he'd provide the receiving upgrade, when at 26 its likely the receiving options are going to be slot only (or at least receivers who's RD1 value is based on their slit performance).
We’ve limited our discussion at #26 to just receivers and TEs but I’d also consider other positions over what I feel would be a redundancy with Kincaid. For example, either a walk-in starter at OL or CB, or even RB if a guy like Bijan fell. If you feel like the receiving options are slot only types then that approach makes even more sense to target in the 2nd round.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
We’ve limited our discussion at #26 to just receivers and TEs but I’d also consider other positions over what I feel would be a redundancy with Kincaid. For example, either a walk-in starter at OL or CB, or even RB if a guy like Bijan fell. If you feel like the receiving options are slot only types then that approach makes even more sense to target in the 2nd round.
To be fair that's what we were discussing (before Cnub started a specific Kincaid thread).
I'm not saying we should take (only) Kincaid, BUT, I'm not opposed to him as I don't see him as a TE, I see him being the best way of improving the receiving Corp as a whole (especially Dak's preference for TE and the WCO approach MM may incorporate).
I wouldnt take a slot only WR...prefer using CeeDee in X and Y roles.
It will probably be easier to take a good RB and CB in later rounds (but that'll obviously depend on our board).

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I'm not saying we should take (only) Kincaid, BUT, I'm not opposed to him as I don't see him as a TE, I see him being the best way of improving the receiving Corp as a whole (especially Dak's preference for TE and the WCO approach MM may incorporate).
I wouldnt take a slot only WR...prefer using CeeDee in X and Y roles.
It will probably be easier to take a good RB and CB in later rounds (but that'll obviously depend on our board).
It’s not the end of the world if we take Kincaid. In terms of fixing the puzzle on offense, he just wouldn’t be the first piece I’d reach for is all I’m saying.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would pass on Kincaid. Coming off small fracture in his back, which is why he did not do any drills at combines. Frankly looking at Ferguson write up from the combine and that of Kincaid I don't see that big of a difference. Add Hendershot to the mix and I think Cowboys will be more than fine at TE

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It’s not the end of the world if we take Kincaid. In terms of fixing the puzzle on offense, he just wouldn’t be the first piece I’d reach for is all I’m saying.
Fair enough, just think he best improves the receiving Corp and best helps improve Dak's game and preferences for using TE. CeeDee can play the slot and its stated that he's a better pass catcher in the draft. Some like speed, however, even Zierlein who ranks Hyatt his top WR accepts he's high ceiling, but low floor.
I wonder if you'd judging your opinion on the fact that on a positional basis we probably don't need a TE?

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I would pass on Kincaid. Coming off small fracture in his back, which is why he did not do any drills at combines. Frankly looking at Ferguson write up from the combine and that of Kincaid I don't see that big of a difference. Add Hendershot to the mix and I think Cowboys will be more than fine at TE
Fair point, but SOMONE read their write up's differently as Ferguson was never in the conversation as a first rounder. I can see why so many posters come across as drafting for positional need, but that's killed us before. Looking at him as the best catching option.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fair point, but SOMONE read their write up's differently as Ferguson was never in the conversation as a first rounder. I can see why so many posters come across as drafting for positional need, but that's killed us before. Looking at him as the best catching option.
I think Kincaid lacks the ability to block as a TE I do think Cowboys need pass catchers but I would focus more on WR. Ferguson and Hendershot I think are more than capable to man the TE spot. Add to that Kincaid has a fracture in his back right now I don't think getting wounded player is a winning formula. I don't doubt his ability as a pass catcher but I do doubt the ability to play all around TE. People moaned about Shultz lack of blocking and yet Kincaid comes in with big question marks on his ability to block

cnuball21

Reaction score
I think Kincaid lacks the ability to block as a TE I do think Cowboys need pass catchers but I would focus more on WR. Ferguson and Hendershot I think are more than capable to man the TE spot. Add to that Kincaid has a fracture in his back right now I don't think getting wounded player is a winning formula. I don't doubt his ability as a pass catcher but I do doubt the ability to play all around TE. People moaned about Shultz lack of blocking and yet Kincaid comes in with big question marks on his ability to block
I feel the same to an extent but if the WR board is wiped and there isn’t a clear cut BPA ranked ahead of him at a money position Id be fine with Kincaid.

Have to look at him more as. WR then just a TE.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
There would presumably be more 12 personnel set ups and as for the WR's most at no26 would be slot only.
Kincaid must have overcome the injury or the Combine would of highlighted it and if his blocking is so poor his catching ability must be OUTSTANDING as even Zierlein grades him above all WR's bar Hyatt.
But if you look at positional preference, rather than skillsets then you can always find subjectivity to dislike a player (or taking a certain position in the first).

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Fair enough, just think he best improves the receiving Corp and best helps improve Dak's game and preferences for using TE. CeeDee can play the slot and its stated that he's a better pass catcher in the draft. Some like speed, however, even Zierlein who ranks Hyatt his top WR accepts he's high ceiling, but low floor.
I wonder if you'd judging your opinion on the fact that on a positional basis we probably don't need a TE?
Yeah, it’s entirely grounded in the fact I don’t think addressing TE is a high priority need.

I’ve said numerous times from the day we drafted Ferguson that he’s at minimum the equal of Schultz.

Two things are equally true about Schultz: 1) He’s a good pass catching TE; and 2) he’s not Kelce, Kittle, etc. in terms of being a dynamic playmaker.

My thinking is unless you’re drafting a dynamic playmaking TE in the mold of Kelce, Kittle, Pitts, even Andrews (Ravens) then drafting something lesser doesn’t move the needle.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
There would presumably be more 12 personnel set ups and as for the WR's most at no26 would be slot only.
Kincaid must have overcome the injury or the Combine would of highlighted it and if his blocking is so poor his catching ability must be OUTSTANDING as even Zierlein grades him above all WR's bar Hyatt.
But if you look at positional preference, rather than skillsets then you can always find subjectivity to dislike a player (or taking a certain position in the first).
I don't dislike him, frankly no one in the draft I dislike. I do think the key is BPA that also fits need. I do think when looking at him vs what we have at TE I don't think he would bring much more impact. Also I expect to see an offense more inline with WCO so running 12 personnel is not a staple of the offense.