Brunell named starter, Jansen breaks thumb, Ramsey trade?***Ultimate Skins thread***

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
Good stats Bear. You are still on your game. How are things in Virginia these days?

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Skins26 said:
Wow. You're great.

It's nice that one of us is, and that you at least have the common sense to recognize it ain't you...

1. I NEVER said the Bears defense was "killer". I said it was good. And that's based on their play this season.

They've played one game this season, against the Skins... therefore, you don't know if the Bears' defense is good, or if the Skins' offense is bad... but you DO have a hint which it was, in the fact that your head coach benched your starting quarterback after the game... why would he do that if Ramsey was just having problems with a "good" defense??

2. NOT ONCE did I ever try and justify the Skins offensive performance yesterday. But go ahead and keep putting words in my mouth. It's funny.

Your ongoing attempts to convince us that the Bears have a good defense is nothing more than an attempt to explain away why the Skins only racked up 9 points... you're taking an anemic performance by your offense, and telling us that it's because of the quality of the opposition... that is nothing less than trying to justify the Skins' offensive performance...

But speaking of offense, with Ramsey we averaged over 9 yards per pass. Ended with close to 6. How did you all do against a mediocre at best San Diego defense?

Well, let's see-- 224 yards passing on 24 attempts... my math says that works out to 9.3 yards per attempt...

We also averaged over 4 yards per carry (with Portis close to 6 ypc). How did you all do against a mediocre at best San Diego defense?

For openers, that 4.1 yards per carry average was greatly inflated by one 41 yard carry... after that one carry, the Skins averaged all of 3.2 yards per carry, as opposed to the Cowboys' 3.3... now, of course that one carry matters, but clearly the Skins were not dominating the game on the ground...

More important, that "mediocre at best San Diego defense" actually ranked THIRD in the entire league in rush defense last year, and they returned all 11 starters... their pass defense totally sucked, but they were actually a very stout run defense... once again, you simply don't know *** you're talking about...

Like I said, we turn the ball over no more than any other team.

That's the argument of a witless homer, when you've been shown facts that prove otherwise... the Skins had a problem with turnovers in the preseason, and that problem continued on Sunday...

In the Bears game we had two turnovers and one was the direct result of an illegal hit.

Once again, the Skins got screwed by the refs... that's like a mantra with you Skins fans, isn't it??

And the Skins had THREE turnovers-- one interception, two fumbles lost... they had two other fumbles that they managed to recover...

Ok, if you take away the 52 yarder, then that means I can take away the interception. Right? Or are you just allowed to take away good plays?

100 yards in a quarter is not good?

You're absolutely right, if you throw for 100 yards in a quarter-- with zero points to show for it-- then it doesn't matter if you threw an interception and had two fumbles, and two sacks (in 13 pass attempts), and rack up a sub-50 quarterback rating...

Playing good solid football instead of mentally breaking down after a mistake is not good?
Since when?

Again, you're absolutely right, and that's why Gibbs BENCHED him... because he was so "solid"...

ROTFLMAO...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
FLcowboy said:
Good stats Bear. You are still on your game. How are things in Virginia these days?

The weather is glorious right now... it's still fairly warm (the Weatherbug says it's 87 degrees at 5:47 PM), but the humidity is very low (22 per cent)...

Even though it got to 93 today, I didn't need to fire up the air conditioning, I was comfortable sleeping with just the fan going... and in the mornings, we're talking about lows in the 50s, it's giving us our first taste of autumn...

And how's things down your way??

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear said:
It's nice that one of us is, and that you at least have the common sense to recognize it ain't you...

They've played one game this season, against the Skins... therefore, you don't know if the Bears' defense is good, or if the Skins' offense is bad... but you DO have a hint which it was, in the fact that your head coach benched your starting quarterback after the game... why would he do that if Ramsey was just having problems with a "good" defense??

Your ongoing attempts to convince us that the Bears have a good defense is nothing more than an attempt to explain away why the Skins only racked up 9 points... you're taking an anemic performance by your offense, and telling us that it's because of the quality of the opposition... that is nothing less than trying to justify the Skins' offensive performance...

Well, let's see-- 224 yards passing on 24 attempts... my math says that works out to 9.3 yards per attempt...

For openers, that 4.1 yards per carry average was greatly inflated by one 41 yard carry... after that one carry, the Skins averaged all of 3.2 yards per carry, as opposed to the Cowboys' 3.3... now, of course that one carry matters, but clearly the Skins were not dominating the game on the ground...

More important, that "mediocre at best San Diego defense" actually ranked THIRD in the entire league in rush defense last year, and they returned all 11 starters... their pass defense totally sucked, but they were actually a very stout run defense... once again, you simply don't know *** you're talking about...

That's the argument of a witless homer, when you've been shown facts that prove otherwise... the Skins had a problem with turnovers in the preseason, and that problem continued on Sunday...

Once again, the Skins got screwed by the refs... that's like a mantra with you Skins fans, isn't it??

And the Skins had THREE turnovers-- one interception, two fumbles lost... they had two other fumbles that they managed to recover...

You're absolutely right, if you throw for 100 yards in a quarter-- with zero points to show for it-- then it doesn't matter if you threw an interception and had two fumbles, and two sacks (in 13 pass attempts), and rack up a sub-50 quarterback rating...

Again, you're absolutely right, and that's why Gibbs BENCHED him... because he was so "solid"...

ROTFLMAO...
I hear a bugle....it's playing "Taps."

Day is done....

Gone the sun...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
They seem to think that, because they have a good (not great, good) defense, they will beat us because of that alone. Why? Their front 4 has far less pass rushing ability than ours, and they have to blitz 7-8 guys to get any kind of pressure. Their defense is good, not great by any means. Holding a Bears team to 7 points with a 3rd string 4th round rookie at the helm is nothing to hang your hat on.

cowheel

Reaction score
Skins26 said:
Like I said, he had over 100 yards in just over a quarter, and had a TD (which was called back on the most ridiculous offensive PI call you will ever see in your life).
Why are Skins fans ALWAYS making excuses?
It's really pretty pitiful.

It's always the friggin' refs with those guys.

The Skins absolutely sucked this weekend - and their defense looked good against what is probably the only offense in the NFL that is worse than theirs- being QB'ed by a -what- 3rd/4th round rookie QB!?!

15 years of ineptness is ALL the ref's fault.

Skins26

Reaction score
silverbear said:
1. Ramsey wasn't having "problems"
2. This is what Gibbs wanted all along. Why? Ask Gibbs.

Your ongoing attempts to convince us that the Bears have a good defense is nothing more than an attempt to explain away why the Skins only racked up 9 points...
We scored only 9 points because our the better QB was benched.

Aren't long runs a part of the game??
Why do you insist on taking out good plays. In every game they happen.

Anyway, after halftime adjustments, which Gibbs is best known for, Portis averaged 5.6 ypc. And that's taking out the 40 yarder.
After that 40+ yard run Portis averaged 4.7 ypc. running out the clock.

Oh, I'm sorry.
I thought you knew about SD. You're under the impression that they played a good rushing team last year.

And what? Jones can only rush against horrible defenses? Is that it?

There were only 6 teams out of 32, without a turnover Sunday. Only 10 teams with less turnovers than us.
Like I said before, we do not turn the ball over more than any other team. Period. You can yell PRESEASON PRESEASON all you want. It doesn't matter. When the games count....we do not have more of a problem than any other team in the NFL.

I'm sorry. I don't see where I mentioned the word "ref" at all. All I said was one of the turnovers was caused by an illegal hit.
That's all I said.

I'll wait until you see the game...

Anyway, you keep mentioning the sacks. Why? None of them were the QBs fault.

No he benched him because he wanted his guy in there and he used the injury as an excuse.
I do not think at all that that was right. But what's done is done and we'll go on from here.

Cow:
Why are Skins fans ALWAYS making excuses?
It's really pretty pitiful.

It's always the friggin' refs with those guys.
I'm sorry are you joking or is this serious?
Not once did I mention the refs or blame them for anything. In every single NFL game that has ever been played and ever will be played, there will be at least one bad or missed call. It's going to happen. That's a fact of life in the NFL. I'm not blaming the refs for anything because I know in today's NFL bad calls like that are going to happen.

(I will say though, that first Dallas-Skins game last year....now that was just bad officiating. Watching it again just makes me cringe. I think that's the only game where I place the blame directly on the refs for a loss. That was just bad. I pray we never have that crew again :banghead: )

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Watching the Commanders fall apart is almost as much fun as watching the same thing happen to the eagles.

wileedog

Reaction score
Skins26 said:
I thought you knew about SD. You're under the impression that they played a good rushing team last year.

SD played both KC and Denver - twice

They also played both the Jets and Atlanta.

That's 6 games against 4 of the 5 best rushing teams in the league.

Atlanta averaged 167 YPG, SD held them to 93.

KC averaged 143 YPG, SD held them to 113 and 70.

Denver averaged 145 YPG, SD held them to 38 and 74.

Yes they had their cupcakes such as Oakland and Carolina, but you can only play who's on your schedule, and SD held the good running teams they did face well under their season averages.

This was a good run defense, no matter how you try to rationalize it away.