Brunell named starter, Jansen breaks thumb, Ramsey trade?***Ultimate Skins thread***

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
silverbear said:
OK, you can be the GM... I'll stick to draft guru, LOL...

Is BA really gone??
Does that mean I need a facelift like Jerry?

Gonzo.

kenai

Reaction score
The 0.0 rating last year--for a complete game--was Garcia, from Cleveland--against the Boys.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Wow...my prediction of Ramsey starting sucked almost as badly as the Skins' offense. Gibbs could have at least waited till the end of the week before *****slapping me.

I think this has to mean that the medical staff is holding Ramsey out of practice for a day or two this week, not that Gibbs is kicking the kid to the curb.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Well, the ES site is down now...lol...Only soo much B***** it can take ?

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
No Offense, but Is Brunell Really an Upgrade?

Tuesday, September 13, 2005; Page E02

Wave goodbye to The Patrick Ramsey Era.

Didn't last long, did it?

After Ramsey nearly got decapitated in the second quarter Sunday -- nearly found himself starring as Ichabod Crane in "The Headless Quarterback" -- Coach "Joe" sought comfort in Mark Brunell. Or as Dick Stockton repeatedly and inexplicably called him, " Scott Brunell."

Though we later learned that Ramsey was medically cleared to play, Gibbs pressed on with Brunell, whose best offensive play was a pass interference call that negated a 55-yard Chicago interception return. Gaining confidence with every pass he threw that wasn't intercepted and run back for a touchdown, Brunell's signature move was to turn and hand off to whoever was behind him. It could have been Tom Hanks; it wouldn't have mattered to Brunell.

The result was three field goals and an insurmountable 9-7 lead over the worst offensive team in the league. The Bears treat offense as if it's bubonic plague. I had to laugh when Moose Johnston waxed on about "Ron Turner's offensive philosophy" as if it were borrowed from Albert Einstein. Where exactly did Turner glean this dynamic offensive philosophy -- from the back of a ketchup bottle?

So now there is no need to start anyone but Brunell. He got the 'W,' didn't he? How can you argue with that? Okay, maybe he couldn't get the ball into the end zone -- but at least his spinal cord is intact. So what if the Commanders just lost all their scoring because John Hall re-injured his quad? (What's the deal with this guy? How did he become so fragile that he needs to be stored in a Tiffany box?) So what if Jon "Fast Eddie Felson" Jansen has no workable thumbs? No thumbs! I mean, come on, how is the guy supposed to get down into a three-point stance? For all intents and purposes, Jansen is now a penguin!

Don't worry. Mark Brunell threw for 70 yards.

That's right, 70 yards. Sound familiar?

Welcome to last year.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dmq said:
Gaining confidence with every pass he threw that wasn't intercepted and run back for a touchdown, Brunell's ...

I normally avoid posting in threads like this but this comment just literally made me laugh out loud. :D It wouldn't have mattered if it had been about any team, it was just outright humorous.

dallasfan

Reaction score
This game is gonna be hilarious. Brunnell can't throw the ball deep, Jon Jansen has no thumbs, and their kicker is out. I smell a shut out.

Skins26

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Nope, if that's the best you can do to make your case that the Bears' defense is all that, you've proven my point for me quite nicely... clearly, you're just trying to convince yourself that the Bears possess this killer defense, to justify the miserable showing by the Skins yesterday... you guys BARELY beat a team with a thoroughly atrocious offense, and a mediocre (at best) defense...

No amount of homeristic spin by you will change that...
Wow. You're great.
1. I NEVER said the Bears defense was "killer". I said it was good. And that's based on their play this season.
But go ahead, continue basing it on last season. If by the end of the season they aren't improved over last year I will give you $1000. :)

2. NOT ONCE did I ever try and justify the Skins offensive performance yesterday. But go ahead and keep putting words in my mouth. It's funny.
But speaking of offense, with Ramsey we averaged over 9 yards per pass. Ended with close to 6. How did you all do against a mediocre at best San Diego defense?
We also averaged over 4 yards per carry (with Portis close to 6 ypc). How did you all do against a mediocre at best San Diego defense?

And in the preseason THIS year, the Skins were minus 8 in turnovers, in 4 games... you turned the ball over 10 times, only forced 2...

Meanwhile, the Cowboys were plus 5, forcing 7 turnovers while losing just 2...

And after 1 regular season game, the Skins are -1, committing three turnovers, while the Boys are +1, committing one...
Wow. You're really great.
lmao @ using preseason stats
Wow. Indianapolis was -7, so I guess that means they're going to be a horrible team this year (also in the first couple games all Manning could do was lead the team to negative yards....so I guess that means he's going to suck this year as well)

Like I said, we turn the ball over no more than any other team. In the Bears game we had two turnovers and one was the direct result of an illegal hit.

ROTFLMAO... spoken like a true Skins fan-- "the refs screwed us"... and like *I* said, his rating for the game was 49.4... basically, he had ONE good play, that 52 yarder... other than that, he was 5 of 10, for 53 yards, an interception and 2 sacks...
That's still over 10 yards per completion. And like I said before, like most QBs around the league yesterday, he started off shakey, but he settled down and played fairly well.
Ok, if you take away the 52 yarder, then that means I can take away the interception. Right? Or are you just allowed to take away good plays?

The fact that you consider that a good effort tells me you really ARE a Skins fan, and have seen so much lousy quarterback play that your standards are really, really low...
100 yards in a quarter is not good? Playing good solid football instead of mentally breaking down after a mistake is not good?
Since when?

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
The reaction of Skins fans appears to mostly negative to Gibbs decision to replace Patrick Ramsey with Mark Brunnel. Many feel Patrick was not given a fair opportunity (he wasn't) and others think Brunnel was given too great of an opportunity last year and failed (he was).

But underlying the decision itself is another issue that has to concern Skins fans. And that is their confidence in Joe Gibbs himself. Many Skins fans feel Gibbs has more than earned the right to do what he thinks best for the team (he has) but are shaken in their confidence because this decision seems unfair and/or stupid (yes to both). So this magnifies the game on Monday far beyond the usual massive proportions of a typical skins/boys tilt. The fact is if the Skins can pull out a win, by whatever means on Monday, Gibbs will be vindicated with the majority of skins fans. If not, and with a bye week following, it could be mutiny on the Skinty.:laugh2:

To assure that pain and loathing in skinsville begins early Tuesday morning, the defensive game plan has to be press the receivers at the line, jam the box and turn the hounds loose until the noodle armed Brunnel cries "uncle". I'm looking forward to both the game and the nuclear winter that's sure to follow in our nation's capitol.

Gibbs knows Ramsey can't read the field, and lacks short range accuracy. He drafted Campbell and Brunell is merely a caretaker who will have to do til the new guy is ready.

There's no place for Ramsey except as a back-up.

Tho it's funny to see a fanbase other than ours arguing about marginal quarterbacks, in due time I think only Patrick Ramsey's most diehard cultist following won't be thankful that Gibbs is pushing him out.

He's a career backup..they've wasted enough time on him.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
1. I NEVER said the Bears defense was "killer". I said it was good. And that's based on their play this season.
But go ahead, continue basing it on last season. If by the end of the season they aren't improved over last year I will give you $1000.

^^this season=one game?lol ok

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
Whoever starts.. I'm sure the skins are angry about the end of last years game.. Maybe Taylor will think he has something to prove. But he'll still fail.