Bryan Broaddus on fourth pick

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
Drafting Zeke at 4 serves three purposes for this team. 1 it gives this team a game breaking dynamic runner..2 helps protect Romos career..and 3 keeps him away from the eagles and Giants at picks 8/and 10...gotta win the division first right

Sydla

Reaction score
Drafting Zeke at 4 serves three purposes for this team. 1 it gives this team a game breaking dynamic runner..2 helps protect Romos career..and 3 keeps him away from the eagles and Giants at picks 8/and 10...gotta win the division first right

For starters, you better not draft based on a fear of what another team in your division would do. Elliott is a nice player. But he's not a guy that's going to chance the fortunes of this division any time soon. He's not a generational player.

And yes, he appears to be a very good tailback and certainly there is a case to be made that he would do well in Dallas. But for the Cowboys to take Elliott at 4, it would be a pretty big change in terms of how they value the running back position. And maybe they will take Elliott at 4, but don't be surprised that they don't take him at 4 and a big reason for that is they just don't feel you need to pay big bucks for an effective running game.

And no, Elliott isn't the only running back that can take pressure off of Romo.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
Nothing Dallas does surprises me anymore. I have a sneaking suspicion that at some point in the next year we can can expect Manziel if Jerry gets his wishes lol...Thank goodness for Stephen. I prefer Wentz at 4 if not then Elliot but we shall see , I think they go D

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
An interesting tidbit....4 out the 5 Cowboys championship teams had triplets firmly in place....Aikman, Irvin and Smith for 3 of them, Staubach, Pearson and Dorsett finally Staubach, Alworth and Thomas. This teams needs a bellcow RB, dominant wr and a great QB. Just a thought

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Depends on how highly they think of Elliot. If Dallas is strongly considering him, I don't believe they let that cat out of the bag until the pick is actually made.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They had Dez and Romo is the first two games last year and if you think they looked like the cowboys of 2014 with Murray you are crazy. We would have lost the game to the Giants if not for a boneheaded play. I will say AGAIN yes the loss of Tony and Dez were critical but they still should have won more than 1 game without them. Carolina dominated us with Romo for awhile and with Murray we went into Seattle and Dominated a better Seattle Defense. The key is now and always has been our running game.

They won both of those games. If you don't remember close divisional games in 2014, I'd say you're the one struggling with reality.

We did start the year off a bit slow due to juggling the OL and the RBs a bit in camp, but that pretty much happens every year before teams settle into their grooves and things come together. We'd have walked away with the East with Romo and Dez, and the rushing game would have been more productive with a passing offense backing it up.

It doesn't matter, though. It's passing that wins in this league. And stopping the pass. It's foolish to spend premium resources at positions that don't help you do that any better.

Techsass

Reaction score
An interesting tidbit....4 out the 5 Cowboys championship teams had triplets firmly in place....Aikman, Irvin and Smith for 3 of them, Staubach, Pearson and Dorsett finally Staubach, Alworth and Thomas. This teams needs a bellcow RB, dominant wr and a great QB. Just a thought

Those teams also had top defenses.

Everybody remembers the "Triplets" because it was a catchy phrase, but the D was stacked with Pro Bowl caliber players, as well. Think Haley, Sanders, Woodsen, Lett, Norton, Jeffcoat, etc.

Right now we only have Lee.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
They won both of those games. If you don't remember close divisional games in 2014, I'd say you're the one struggling with reality.

It's passing that wins in this league. And stopping the pass. It's foolish to spend premium resources at positions that don't help you do that any better.

I keep hearing that, but the two teams who just went to the super bowl really excelled in running the football, and stopping the run. There is some truth in your post, don't get me wrong. Lets not completely diminish the importance a strong running game has on a team though.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Here is an example of what Jones was saying last year about putting dollars into the running back position.

IMO, unless they trade back, they will look for RB in the mid rounds of this draft, like they tried to do last year.

Thank you.