Bryant's Unsportsman-like Conduct Penalty

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
What's great about scoring? That's what you are supposed to do. Players should be more concerned with how they are going to score the next TD rather than celebrating the last one.

Every team celebrates a score.

That means they aren't considering how to score the next one?

This is supposed to be entertainment. Some people take this all a bit too seriously.

links18

Reaction score
Every team celebrates a score.

That means they aren't considering how to score the next one?

This is supposed to be entertainment. Some people take this all a bit too seriously.

Celebrating is one thing. Throat slashing and salsa dancing another.

The Natural

Reaction score
What's great about scoring? That's what you are supposed to do. Players should be more concerned with how they are going to score the next TD rather than celebrating the last one.

Marshall is that you??

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Did anyone who saw the gesture think it was actually a 'throat slash'?

I interpreted it as something completely different.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Celebrating is one thing. Throat slashing and salsa dancing another.

Nothing wrong with salsa dancing but throat slashing is a violent gesture that shouldn't be part of any celebration which is why it's been banned.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
It's sissy stuff. Why flag that.These guys are hitting and fighting each other through a whole game. It's emotions. It hurts nobody.. What a joke.

While, I 100% completely agree that they should act like they have been there before. It's the way the NFL is. And, will be. I do not like it, but, to throw a flag for that is just lame.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett had a little talk with him after the penalty.

Garrett also reamed him after the penalty. It looked like Dez took full responsibility, he keep nodding his head yes like "Yes, yes, I know I screwed up"

Reading Garrett's lips, it looked to me like he said 'I know, don't worry about it.' My guess is that Dez wasn't trying to do the vulgar throat-cut. It doesn't really matter, though. It was a dumb gesture to make, anyway.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I saw it and to me looked like a slashing motion across the throat.

I just see it differently. I understand that the Ref has to call it because there's no subjectivity with things like this but a throat slash, IMO, is this...

This
http://i1104.***BLOCKED***/albums/h321/Nickb28/taker-1.jpg
This...
josh_barnett_6_original_display_image.jpg

...and this (in motion)

I just didn't see anything like the above with Bryant. But hey, maybe I saw wrong.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I just see it differently. I understand that the Ref has to call it because there's no subjectivity with things like this but a throat slash, IMO, is this...

This
http://i1104.***BLOCKED***/albums/h321/Nickb28/taker-1.jpg
This...
josh_barnett_6_original_display_image.jpg

...and this (in motion)

I just didn't see anything like the above with Bryant. But hey, maybe I saw wrong.

Dez may have done it differently that the video you showed but he did it, I saw it, the ref saw it and the flag was thrown. Best I could say to Dez do your X and celebrate with your teammates just don't make that motion.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Dez may have done it differently that the video you showed but he did it, I saw it, the ref saw it and the flag was thrown. Best I could say to Dez do your X and celebrate with your teammates just don't make that motion.

Yeah, I'm not saying he should continue doing it or blaming the ref for making that call, because he had to. I just didn't interpret it as a 'throat slash'-- a figurative death threat, so to speak. Just wondering if I'm alone on that one.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not saying he should continue doing it or blaming the ref for making that call, because he had to. I just didn't interpret it as a 'throat slash'-- a figurative death threat, so to speak. Just wondering if I'm alone on that one.

Myself I think the penalty is silly but it is what it is and I just hope our guys avoid it. It sure as heck is not worth 15 yards.

dstovall5

Reaction score
It should've been called and it was. I'm also surprised he wasn't fined for the act as well, it's not a gesture to be taken lightly. You learn and move on though, hopefully he doesn't do it again because next time it could cost us big in a close game.

P.S. - Stick to your X Dez, it looks better, and it wont cost us 15 yard penalties.

Lodeus

Reaction score
If the throat slash is a penalty than so should salsa dancing and Lambeau leaping. That just comes from my hatred for those teams though. Also I don't find the throat slash thing violent.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
Hilarious.. All we hear about is "football, it's a violent sport, yack yack yack"..

Dude does a "throat slash".? Oh no,, can't do that. heheheheheh, It's comical.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Hilarious.. All we hear about is "football, it's a violent sport, yack yack yack"..

Dude does a "throat slash".? Oh no,, can't do that. heheheheheh, It's comical.

No one is saying they support the rule, are they?

Just like no one is saying they support any of the other rules softening up the game.. just pointing out that it is in fact a rule so everyone should stop crying that he got called for it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The throat slash gesture sends a bad message which is why it's been banned. Players are not out there to kill one another.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
They where speaking to Dez when he came off the field and he was shaking his head like, yeah I know I screwed up.
He probably got caught up in the moment and never thought about his actions. The No Fun League is certainly living up to it's reputation.