Bryant's Unsportsman-like Conduct Penalty

links18

Reaction score
that adds colour to the game

Signed Roger Robespierre

I know I am evil but I have told my son if he scores a big goal against a hated rival, do a throat slash ;)

That's probably against the human relations laws in Canada. Watch Out!

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Garrett had a little talk with him after the penalty.

Garrett: Wow, Dez, you can really jump high! That was awesome!
Dez: Thanks Coach, but that's nothin. I can jump so high you'd think I was flyin.
Garrett: Really, like, how high?
Dez: I can jump over the goalposts on a good today, and today is a good day.
Garrett: Holy Crap! Listen, if I get the guys to come out here after the game, would you show us?
Dez: Sure coach, anything for the team

Hoofbite

Reaction score
He's the X factor, a variable in a given situation that could have the most significant impact on the outcome.

I've seen some people say it's "Weapon X". I dunno. Whatever it is, it just means he's killing it when he's doing it.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I just see it differently. I understand that the Ref has to call it because there's no subjectivity with things like this but a throat slash, IMO, is this...

This
http://i1104.***BLOCKED***/albums/h321/Nickb28/taker-1.jpg
This...
josh_barnett_6_original_display_image.jpg

...and this (in motion)

I just didn't see anything like the above with Bryant. But hey, maybe I saw wrong.

Hahaha.

I'm sorry but I was just thinking, "do people actually think he has to sit there and go full on Undertaker before it's a throat slash"?

I get what you're saying though. It wasn't a dramatic made for TV moment that would precede a pile driver but it was a throat slash nonetheless.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
It seemed more like when people say "it's over, that's a wrap" gesture to me more than a throat slash. But i'm sure the refs couldnt tell what it was....

That's the gesture I saw too.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You do know, the gesture remains the same despite his intentions.

So really, it doesn't matter what he meant by it, it's still a dumb mistake which thankfully didn't cost us.

No it doesn't mean the same. Atleast not to me. One is a gesture that means "Its over....". The "throat slash" when I grew up meant someone was about to murder you lol. Whether on the basketball court or football field or even literally kill you lol. Big difference to me.

It could have been or it could not have been.. we really don't know. That's why it was penalized.

It looked nothing like a throat slash though lol.....I've actually seen Dez do it before. It probably shocked him he got the flag for it since he's done it before.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
No it doesn't mean the same. Atleast not to me. One is a gesture that means "Its over....". The "throat slash" when I grew up meant someone was about to murder you lol. Whether on the basketball court or football field or even literally kill you lol. Big difference to me.

I don't think they banned the throat slash because they were worried about homicides becoming a part of TD celebrations.

It looked nothing like a throat slash though lol.....I've actually seen Dez do it before. It probably shocked him he got the flag for it since he's done it before.

I'm kind of curious how that motion would take on the meaning of "its over"?

I know people do it to mean that, but I wonder why anyone would ever begin to associate "its over" with that motion.

joseephuss

Reaction score
The "throat slash" gesture has been banned for more than a decade. It was dumb of Bryant to use some form of it at all and hopefully he realizes it now.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...ball-fight-increasingly-popular-taunt-warrant

Nfl Bans Throat-slash Gesture

Woodson Charged In Snowball Fight

November 24, 1999|By Mark Shapiro.

The NFL cracked down on the throat-slash gesture Tuesday, threatening fines and penalties for an increasingly popular taunt that the league said depicted "an unacceptable act of violence."

A letter was sent to all 31 teams banning the gesture, in which a player draws his finger across his throat after a big play. It is aimed at opponents and sometimes opposing fans.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
No one is saying they support the rule, are they?

Just like no one is saying they support any of the other rules softening up the game.. just pointing out that it is in fact a rule so everyone should stop crying that he got called for it.

I never stated anyone did support it. It's just a stupid rule.

But, agree. He knows the rule is the rule. Needs to be wiser than that.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The "throat slash" gesture has been banned for more than a decade. It was dumb of Bryant to use some form of it at all and hopefully he realizes it now.

A letter was sent to all 31 teams banning the gesture, in which a player draws his finger across his throat after a big play. It is aimed at opponents and sometimes opposing fans.

Man, that's a while back.

Doomsay

Reaction score
I don't think they banned the throat slash because they were worried about homicides becoming a part of TD celebrations.

I'm kind of curious how that motion would take on the meaning of "its over"?

I know people do it to mean that, but I wonder why anyone would ever begin to associate "its over" with that motion.

LOL - You got it, the entomology of the gesture is a coupe de gras - based "kill it" which implies that it's over. The throat slitting animal slaughter re-enactment. We use it at the track (where you can't hear anything) all the time as an engine shut off gesture. But its origin is obviously kill based.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
It seemed more like when people say "it's over, that's a wrap" gesture to me more than a throat slash. But i'm sure the refs couldnt tell what it was....

Thats what it is was.