Bryant's Unsportsman-like Conduct Penalty

mrmojo

Reaction score
I think it was the right call.....the rules in the book...been in there since 1999. We may all think it's silly but it is a rule, luckily it wasnt a closer game. Be interesting to see if he is fined too.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I was referring to the intent.. the gesture was clearly a throat slash gesture.

Which is my point.

Pretty clearly not a throat slash gesture IMO. The gesture was around the neck area (more across the top of the shoulders IMO), but that doesn't make it a throat slash.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Pretty clearly not a throat slash gesture IMO. The gesture was around the neck area (more across the top of the shoulders IMO), but that doesn't make it a throat slash.

If its around the neck area (throat) and you slash your hand across that area (slash).. guess what kind of gesture it is?

No matter what the intent.. the gesture is what it is. If a ref sees you doing it, its not his job to interpret what he thinks you meant by it, its his job to throw the flag and screw your team out of 15 yards.

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
Dumb penalty by Dez, but did you notice what happened next? Bailey's kickoff travelled 75 yards! Then, with the ensuing penalty, the outcome was basically a touchback.

That was a critical part of the game.

I agree. But I thought how the defense responded after Harris fumbled the punt return was another critical part of the game.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If its around the neck area (throat) and you slash your hand across that area (slash).. guess what kind of gesture it is?

No matter what the intent.. the gesture is what it is. If a ref sees you doing it, its not his job to interpret what he thinks you meant by it, its his job to throw the flag and screw your team out of 15 yards.

Yes, it was a weak one, but still he pulled his hand across the neck line and the officials rightly penalized him for it.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Before the throat slash gesture was banned I can't recall a player ever using the gesture as part of a TD celebration. The gesture got started by defenders making devastating hits. You would see a receiver get clobbered over the middle and immediately the defender would perform a throat slash. The gesture became rampant and the NFL finally put a stop to it.

DuceizBak

Reaction score
It seemed more like when people say "it's over, that's a wrap" gesture to me more than a throat slash. But i'm sure the refs couldnt tell what it was....

That's what I was thinking, but I didn't want to speak prematurely.
I wouldn't be worried. Dez went to the side line and was like "yeah that was stupid, won't happen again"
i'm sure we'll just see the X now

Red Dragon

Reaction score
While we're on the topic, just what exactly does Dez Bryant's touchdown celebration mean (making an X with crossed arms?)

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
While we're on the topic, just what exactly does Dez Bryant's touchdown celebration mean (making an X with crossed arms?)

He's the X factor, a variable in a given situation that could have the most significant impact on the outcome.

links18

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with salsa dancing but throat slashing is a violent gesture that shouldn't be part of any celebration which is why it's been banned.

I actually have a bigger problem with the salsa dancing.......

links18

Reaction score
Why because you don't like salsa dancing? Explain your reasoning.

Meh, I won't get into it here. Let's just say I didn't like the Chunky Soup commercial much either........

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Meh, I won't get into it here. Let's just say I didn't like the Chunky Soup commercial much either........

You pretty much spelled it out it's not the dance you have an issue with you don't like Victor Cruz.