Video: BST: Kris Richard Has Big Decision to Make

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I would hate to lose Richard but would understand him leaving for a HC job. My hope is he stays but should he leave I would hope Dallas would reach out to Todd Bowles
Bowles may end up on Arians staff. :(
Edit: as Skaven pointed out. It looks like he's already there.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he does get the offer and he takes it - I hope they don’t announce it til after the we win the SB :). The last thing a team needs is to hear one of their favorite coaches is jumping ship when they’re trying to win a SB.

I know time is a factor for hiring a new head coach but I don’t think a team should be able to interview a coach until his team’s season is over.
Talk about self sabotage. I don't understand the reasoning behind this kind of hiring practice - interviews with a candidate whose team is still on a playoff run. I'm sure it's been kicked around in league meetings with the owners who all have been on both ends of that quandary. Just seems counterproductive.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Word is Ross has always tried to impress his minority owners (see below) by going after either big name coaches or players trying to take short-cuts to a Super Bowl. Suh was a colossal failure costing the team a ton cap money.

• Majority owner: Stephen M. ...
  • Minority owners: Gloria Estefan, 57; Emilio Estefan, 61; Marc Anthony, 46; Venus Williams, 34; Serena Williams, 33; Fergie, 39.
Interesting list of minority owners. Essentially, majority owner to the stars. I'll bet the board room is festive.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Talk about self sabotage. I don't understand the reasoning behind this kind of hiring practice - interviews with a candidate whose team is still on a playoff run. I'm sure it's been kicked around in league meetings with the owners who all have been on both ends of that quandary. Just seems counterproductive.
:hammer:great point indeed

erod

Reaction score

Problem is,(1) it would provide an unfair advantage to coaches who didn't make the playoffs, and (2) they're going to reach out to the coach anyway because you can't tell a man what he can do on his own time.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Problem is,(1) it would provide an unfair advantage to coaches who didn't make the playoffs, and (2) they're going to reach out to the coach anyway because you can't tell a man what he can do on his own time.
True. It's a win/lose situation. Gotta be a bit demoralizing to the players still in the playoffs, assuming they like that particular coach. One could make a case for keeping the interviews private and unannounced, but we know that will not happen.

Mr_437

Reaction score

If Brandt for his name on its a good possibility. Richard just needs to coordinate a excellent game plan for this week, for nothing else matters at this point involving him.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Teams that are out of the playoffs want to start building quickly. They do not want to name a head coach in February.
And you do not want to penalize a coach because his team is doing well and deny him the rare Head Coach interview or job.

You can be hopeful said asst will tell the other team I'd love your job and can manage both roles quietly if you will allow me to finish up with my current guys.

Good coaches get their staffs raided. DAL is fortunate Marinelli never wants to be a head man again and Linehan is not viewed as a HC .
What you hope is anything learned form Richard is maintained in the players and assistants that are left behind.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
I don't know, this defense is built to do well for the next few years. I think I'd wait and be awesome as a DC and wait a year or two until I found an ideal situation to become a HC. Miami looks like the place for a HC to die.

The Cowboys will probably just make Sean Lee DC...yes that is sarcasm.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That interesting coz I read least couple tweets he did not interview well. He have tides to the GM from there time with the Pats but from my understanding, this going to be Ross call.
Haven’t heard that. Do you have those 2 sources?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
I've been told that if Kris goes , he takes a good portion of the defensive coaching staff with him .

Brace for impact .

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry, I don't see this as a big decision. If he has an opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL he's got to take it. There's only 32 of those. If it doesn't work out he can go right back to running a defense somewhere.

All the BS that comes out of Jerry Jones' mouth would mean nothing to me. Even paying me like I'm a head coach wouldn't keep me there.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anything to keep Richard here is OK. Sort it out later as to who goes where.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

Well, you actually can. I mean, the NCAA does it all the time, with regards to recruiting. The NFL's rules are pretty clear on it but in general, I agree with you. It's going to happen. At some point, the NFL might actually enforce their own rules on this but that's not today IMO.

erod

Reaction score
Well, you actually can. I mean, the NCAA does it all the time, with regards to recruiting. The NFL's rules are pretty clear on it but in general, I agree with you. It's going to happen. At some point, the NFL might actually enforce their own rules on this but that's not today IMO.
Recruits are not adults.

I would agree that it's actually illegal, in my opinion, to not allow an 18-year-old to enter the draft.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Recruits are not adults.

I would agree that it's actually illegal, in my opinion, to not allow an 18-year-old to enter the draft.

They most certainly are. They sign binding contracts and can be held accountable. I am not at all opposed to preventing 18 year old Football Players from entering the NFL, I mean, that would be the absolute worst thing that could happen to the sport but, that's here nor there. The point is that you can hold people responsible for actions that they do, even in their own free time. Federal Government does it all the time. Local and State Governments do as well. I used the NCAA as example, for example, you can't meet with an agent in your free time if you are not declaring for the draft.

People can definitely be held accountable for what they do in their off time. The question is, does the appropriate governing body want to force the issue? That's the real question.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Ya,well, there's no concealing the FACT that Kris Richards ( given the allotment of time& resources) would come the closest to reassembling an "85"Chicago Bears type of TEAM to place out on the playing field of FOOTBALLDOMo_O

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Ok, it's Thursday. It takes how long to sign a contract these days? Without even leaving town? Quick perusal by the lawyer and agent. Contract attached, signature! Email, send! It takes no time at all to do the deed. The interview was Sunday. A DB coach versus a HC? What's Richard waiting for? Seems like a no-brainer. Busy getting ready for the Rams maybe. Being a class act by not letting the team down before a big game maybe. Something we don't know about in the works maybe. Everyone but the Miami folks seem pretty tight lipped on this one including Richard. Must be the playoff thing because every HC hired so far has signed days after the interview. Then again they were all recently fired and Richard is not. Some might even say he's better off here. Young, talented, ever improving defense. Maybe a one year gig as a DC in Dallas ain't so bad. Pay is probably decent too. Play the gig for a year. See what happens with JG in 2019. Build on a young team. Who knows. Stay tuned, more news at 11

Last edited:

Cowboy-33

Reaction score
I think they’re interviewing one of their own coaches tomorrow. I assume they’ll make a decision this weekend. Probably 2 hours before our kickoff so the analysts can mention it every 5 mins before and during the game. :banghead:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Kris Richard Has Big Decision to Make

PAT_JJT_ON_RICHARD.jpg

Cowboys passing game coordinator Kris Richard is a top candidate for the Dolphins' head coaching position. Cowboys Insider Jean-Jacques Taylor joins NBC 5's Pat Doney to list the reasons why Richard needs to turn down Miami and stay in Dallas for one more season.

Read Full Story
They have to be on drugs. If the Dolphins wan to hire Richard as HC, he would be crazy to turn it down unless he is guaranteed like Jason Garrett was guaranteed to be the Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys.