BTB: Could run stuffing Andrew Billings be a fit for Cowboys

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
But when you get a ' dominant " run stuffer in the interior of the middle, that helps begins the dynamics in how teams have to run against you.
it limits what they can do to you vs the run.
Instead of being able to handle a top notch DT with a single blocker, if that OL unit has to scheme and double team two blockers to that side for just one DT
which that should allow other defenders to be freed up.
The guys you're talking about are guys who can penetrate and make plays in the backfield. This is untrue for the Snacks Harrisons and Linval Josephs of the world.

You don't need to double team these guys.

quickccc

Reaction score
I dont agree with Future, but Phillips scares me. 9 sacks at 320 is serious production. But he only has 1 year of production. I doubt he gets less than 10 AAV, and he is risk at that price.

as a 1 tech, it's not his sacks that would interest me but more so his ability to stuff the run - and he would have to be exceptional in that area. Dominant.
Not just yet another decent/serviceable band-aid guy at that role with the Woods, Paea, Ash, McClain, that we've frequently had as the ever revolving door, one after another, ..

Cowboys thought they were getting exceptional run stuff skills in Cedric Thornton and this was one of the rare times they were willing to pay some cap dollars for
one, as Thorton displayed good run skills when he was a 3-4 end in a 3-4 scheme with the Eagles, and apparently Cowboys thought he'd easily transit to a 1tech in their 4-3 scheme.

But he ended up being a complete bust, I don't think he ever started a single game and was eventually cut.
Along with Marinelli very low regards and preference for the 1 tech role, that Thorton move (and failure) probably played a huge part in team's search for cheap vet FAs to fill that role.

quickccc

Reaction score
The guys you're talking about are guys who can penetrate and make plays in the backfield. This is untrue for the Snacks Harrisons and Linval Josephs of the world.

You don't need to double team these guys.

yes you do, when it's became obvious single blockers cant move them off the line.

Why else do you think these guys like Snack ( when he was in his prime of course) and Joseph made their respective all pro/pro bowls they got voted and invited to for ..(and by their peers at that)
Sacks ? Pass rush pressure ?

No. they got the notable honors and invites for that exclusively area of their game that they do best ..dominant run defense. Clogging the middle, occupying two blockers, forcing backs to stop
and unwanted re-direction in the backfield.

You take away the run .. that forces teams to become more one dimensional .and make it more easier on your defense to focus on other part of the offense - the QB pass rush.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Finished 8th in ypa so that's a weird take.
But, it seemed we got run over when we really needed to stop the opponent and get the ball back to our offense. We couldn't stop the run when we REALLY needed to.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
yes you do, when it's became obvious single blockers cant move them off the line.

Why else do you think these guys like Snack ( when he was in his prime of course) and Joseph made their respective all pro/pro bowls they got voted and invited to for ..(and by their peers at that)
Sacks ? Pass rush pressure ?

No. they got the notable honors and invites for that exclusively area of their game that they do best ..dominant run defense. Clogging the middle, occupying two blockers, forcing backs to stop
and unwanted re-direction in the backfield.

You take away the run .. that forces teams to become more one dimensional .and make it more easier on your defense to focus on other part of the offense - the QB pass rush.
You don't need to move them off the line.

Harrison was an All Pro in 2017. It is 2020.

It doesn't matter if you are one dimensional if you are a good passing team. Balance doesn't matter.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think there are better options that can stop the run and help in pass rush
DJ Reader is one guy I really like
The Chiefs scored 7 straight touchdowns against the Texans and ran like 3 running plays. Reader is completely obsolete.

quickccc

Reaction score
Finished 8th in ypa so that's a weird take.

and you remember the last time we bragged and boasted about having a top 5 to 10 run defense in regular season, right up to we got rolled over vs Rams in playoffs. ?
- and there were already concerning signs On the Road that we were already having issues vs run, up until the Colts and Rams games in 2018

This year in '19: Pats, Bears, Minny, Green Bay, Giants - cannot be mislead by stats vs what you are seeing with your very own eye-ball test.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
But, it seemed we got run over when we really needed to stop the opponent and get the ball back to our offense. We couldn't stop the run when we REALLY needed to.
Personnel decisions aren't made on "seemed" or "REALLY."

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
and you remember the last time we bragged and boasted about having a top 5 to 10 run defense in regular season, right up to we got rolled over vs Rams in playoffs. ?
- and there were already concerning signs On the Road that we were already having issues vs run, up until the Colts and Rams games in 2018

This year in '19: Pats, Bears, Minny, Green Bay, Giants - cannot be mislead by stats vs what you are seeing with your very own eye-ball test.
The eyeball test tells me that run defense doesn't matter.

The Pats offense did nothing. Minnesota threw the ball in the screen game - Cook averaged 3.7 ypc. The Giants did nothing except one big play by Saquon - which he bounced outside because the middle was clogged. Woods was out against the Bears. lol. The run defense was bad against the Packers, ok. Happens to every team.

quickccc

Reaction score
You don't need to move them off the line.

Harrison was an All Pro in 2017. It is 2020.

It doesn't matter if you are one dimensional if you are a good passing team. Balance doesn't matter.

it does matter when it factors into what a premium opposing team does best.
For instance if GB had a legit run stuffing defense, that would have forced Niners to become one dimensional and put matters into Jimmy Grarapolo (sp) to win the
game for them.

And the biggest knock on Jimmy G. is he is at his best when he can use the run game to feed into his play action where he is far more highly effective than
when he has to straight drop back to the more competitive teams.
Packers proved awful in giving up over 220 rushing yards and Jimmy G was allowed to take it easy in throwing only a mere 8 passes in the entire game.

- What I am saying is I am depending upon my run defense to shut down their run game and force Jimmy G into a situation where he has to prove he is a good enough passing to overcome
a lack of a run game vs MY defense.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
it does matter when it factors into what a premium opposing team does best.
For instance if GB had a legit run stuffing defense, that would have forced Niners to become one dimensional and put matters into Jimmy Grarapolo (sp) to win the
game for them.

And the biggest knock on Jimmy G. is he is at his best when he can use the run game to feed into his play action where he is far more highly effective than
when he has to straight drop back to the more competitive teams.
Packers proved awful in giving up over 220 rushing yards and Jimmy G was allowed to take it easy in throwing only a mere 8 passes in the entire game.

- What I am saying is I am depending upon my run defense to shut down their run game and force Jimmy G into a situation where he has to prove he is a good enough passing to overcome
a lack of a run game vs MY defense.
It is stupid to have a run-first offense.

49ers killed the Packers b/c they defended the pass the whole tiem.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Not to be like Mickey but if Billings is so good why would he be available on the cheap?

quickccc

Reaction score
It is stupid to have a run-first offense.

49ers killed the Packers b/c they defended the pass the whole tiem.

it's not stupid when that's your identity and its what you do best, if this allows your team the best chance to win.

Tennessee upset SB reigning champs Pats because they could not stop Derrick Henry and had QB Tunnehill play just bus drive managing enough.
Titans came back again a week later, and upset and shocked the NFL world by beating Ravens using same formula of running Derrick Henry into a Ravens defense
who could not stop Titans run game.

Niners don't have an exceptional pure passing attack - they are not the Chiefs.
they don't beat you best with Jimmy G straight drop back passing against you all game.

what they do best is with their use of misdirection and run game that leads into play action that helps holds the defenses at bay.
but since Packers simply could not defend run gaps. why the need for play action - lets just keep running the ball and gashing them for monster rushing yards

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...stuffing-andrew-billings-be-a-fit-for-cowboys

Billings is a name to know. His money wont be big, probably less that what Malcolm Brown got. He is young and he has the size Nolan and Tomsula want

Apparently you haven't been listening. Both McCarthy and Nolan have said that they will continue on the fast athletic defensive linemen that have the versatility to play different positions in certain situations and I could be wrong but that tells me that they are not necessarily looking for a big nose tackle that can just play nose tackle. Again just my opinion.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
it's not stupid when that's your identity and its what you do best, if this allows your team the best chance to win.

Tennessee upset SB reigning champs Pats because they could not stop Derrick Henry and had QB Tunnehill play just bus drive managing enough.
Titans came back again a week later, and upset and shocked the NFL world by beating Ravens using same formula of running Derrick Henry into a Ravens defense
who could not stop Titans run game.

Niners don't have an exceptional pure passing attack - they are not the Chiefs.
they don't beat you best with Jimmy G straight drop back passing against you all game.

what they do best is with their use of misdirection and run game that leads into play action that helps holds the defenses at bay.
but since Packers simply could not defend run gaps. why the need for play action - lets just keep running the ball and gashing them for monster rushing yards
Ok let me re-phrase.

It is stupid to build a team designed to run the ball better than bass.

Tennessee won b/c the Pats couldn't score. They opened a lead against the Ravens by throwing.

The 9ers throw well enough that teams have to account for it, and they have a ton of speed that keeps safeties open.

What they do best is exploit defensive numbers and alignments. It's got nothing to do with preferring run or pass.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Ok let me re-phrase.

It is stupid to build a team designed to run the ball better than bass.

Tennessee won b/c the Pats couldn't score. They opened a lead against the Ravens by throwing.

The 9ers throw well enough that teams have to account for it, and they have a ton of speed that keeps safeties open.

What they do best is exploit defensive numbers and alignments. It's got nothing to do with preferring run or pass.

I don't think anyone is saying to design a team to run better than passing. What's being said is if a team HAS a back and line to be able to run the ball and not need to just pass it to have TD drives they could or should do that. Tannehill drove the titans for a TD against the patriots without throwing a single pass on the drive. In fact Tannehill only threw 15 passes and completed only 8 for the entire game and they won.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying to design a team to run better than passing. What's being said is if a team HAS a back and line to be able to run the ball and not need to just pass it to have TD drives they could or should do that. Tannehill drove the titans for a TD against the patriots without throwing a single pass on the drive. In fact Tannehill only threw 15 passes and completed only 8 for the entire game and they won.
Fine. Then nobody should be building a defense designed to stop the run.

They scored 14 points. The offense didn't play well, it's not a barometer for anything.