News: BTB: Cowboys Camp Battle: Who Ya Got, Dak Prescott vs. Jameill Showers?

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Well we gotta let these guys fight it out first.

Sure we could bring in a vet, but really there isn't much out there to go get. Been there, done that. Now if both of them stink it up, a distinct possibility, then we have to make a move at that point. Just depends on who is available at a reasonable price really.

I do believe making a move right now is a bit early, wait til like the 3rd preseason game before forming any conclusions. Impatience has always been bad for this franchise, and lets not knee jerk yet again and make a stupid move.

Falco78

Reaction score
In the scrimmage Showers looked much better but with one year under his belt he damn sure should

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Neither of these two are the answer for this team(starter or Backup) this year........Showers may be a little further along development wise but not by much.................With their first pick of the 2017 NFL entry draft, the Dallas Cowboys Select Quarterback _____________

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Until these guys get out there in game situation it seems very premature to say who can do what. We seem to have negative comments on these guys based on nothing but guessing and opinion but without actually seeing any of them. Myself not ready to praise or degrade either guy not without some evidence and the only way that can happen is let them get out on the field and show it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
usa-today-9422477.0.jpg

If the Cowboys stand pat at backup quarterback, who wins the competition?

For the moment, let’s pretend that the Dallas Cowboys continue on with their experiment at backup quarterback and don’t sign a veteran. Suppose that what Jerry Jones said after the Blue/White scrimmage carries all the way through the preseason.

"Oh, I'm really more encouraged after this about holding our pat hand on a veteran than before this," Jones said. "And as we go along, if we continue to see this kind of improvement and see this kind of instinctive [play] and [they] really look very comfortable back there, that will give us some running room here, give us some options."

The Cowboys have four preseason games to make a decision, although if they were going to bring in a veteran, sooner rather than later is preferable. But, for argument sake, let’s say the Cowboys eschew a veteran and go with what they have.

Who ya got as the number two guy, Dak Prescott or Jameill Showers?

Dak Prescott

Reasons he could be QB2:

• The Cowboys spent a draft pick on him in the middle rounds, they would like him to be their guy of the future. As long as he’s progressing, they will likely give him the benefit of the doubt. He might have a built-in edge on Showers.
  • Currently, he seems to be the number two quarterback based on how snaps are being allocated at practices. Incumbency means Showers would have to move ahead of him.
  • He’s been in big games under huge pressure before. Might be a gamer, a guy who shows his best during games. Poise and leadership may come into play once on the field.
Jameill Showers

Reasons he could be QB2:

• Has one year of experience in the Cowboys system and familiarity with the NFL game. Gives him a bit of a head start.
  • So far in training camp, he’s outplayed Prescott in the view of most observers. At this moment in time, he is probably the better option.
  • Everybody raves about his arm strength and that he throws a nice ball. Probably mechanically more sound than Prescott at this moment.

Since we have a little while to go until September, you‘re going to have to project this out. How much can Prescott improve his mechanics and get comfortable in the Cowboys offense in the preseason? Can Showers continue to play "hot" and does he have the talent to be a true number two given his low draft pedigree?

So come Week 1, if the Cowboys haven’t signed a veteran backup quarterback, who will be QB2 - Prescott or Showers?

Poll
If the Cowboys don't sign a vet, who will be QB2 at the start of the season?

• Dak Prescott
  • Jameill Showers

293 votes | Results

Continue reading...

If either guy has to play this year we are toast.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
So 4th round and later, no to starting QB material. Got it.
Pretty much. Look at the QBs drafted in the fourth round and later the last 15 years. You have 1 drafted QB ( Cousins) and one UDFA (Romo) who has amounted to anything.

If the organization thinks Prescott is the future after drafting him, they are in worse shape then assume. I havent heard anything out of them to suggest that. Its not to say that he wont. But you cant assume he is now with any credibility

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I've called Dak a "glorified Tim Tebow." But I do think he has leadership potential. He needs a lot of work, but with his running ability and his desire to not make mistakes, I don't think he'd be a disaster waiting to happen if the unthinkable - but totally probable - occurred, and Romo was injured AGAIN.

With our offense line and running game powered by Ezekiel Elliott and getting major help from the firm of Darius, McFadden and Morris, I think we'd be okay. At least I'd hope.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Until these guys get out there in game situation it seems very premature to say who can do what. We seem to have negative comments on these guys based on nothing but guessing and opinion but without actually seeing any of them. Myself not ready to praise or degrade either guy not without some evidence and the only way that can happen is let them get out on the field and show it.

Both these guys should have a shot at developing on an NFL roster. Neither are close to being ready for a QB2 role and can't be gotten ready by the start of the season. That's not a knock on either, it's just too much development, too fast.

I liked Weeden last year better than either of these guys, and that's not because I'm a fan of Weeden's (though he did get a bum rap here).

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Both these guys should have a shot at developing on an NFL roster. Neither are close to being ready for a QB2 role and can't be gotten ready by the start of the season. That's not a knock on either, it's just too much development, too fast.

I liked Weeden last year better than either of these guys, and that's not because I'm a fan of Weeden's (though he did get a bum rap here).

You may be right but based on what? None of us have seen Dak run a single play in live action and Showers not since last pre season. I'm not saying they will or won't perform well I'm saying I don't know and frankly neither can anyone else. We can all take a guess on how things would unfold but nothing solid to actually go by.

I suspect Dallas will go with Dax and Showers early on in pre season and if things are not working as they hope they will look to a Josh Freeman or a number of other FA still out there.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
3 needles in a haystack. If your counting on that, your wrong. Thats not how you build a franchise. Since Brady, go look at the QBs who have been drafted after round 3. Romo (counting him)and Cousins are the only ones that the become quality starters in the NFL.

NFL.com Draft 2016 - NFL Draft History: Full Draft Year

Tyrod Taylor as well. He started out as a backup too just like Dak and Showers. Like you said it's no guarantee but it definitely isn't impossible

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You may be right but based on what? None of us have seen Dak run a single play in live action and Showers not since last pre season...

Dak, in particular, is the one I"m concerned about. Going from never having taken snaps behind center and never calling plays in a huddle to developing the skills for both while learning to make NFL-defense adjustments at the line with a brand new playbook---that's an incredibly tall order. It's hard enough to QB2 when you know the system, have had a couple of years to work on your mechanics full-time and have at least called plays and read live defenses in a handful of NFL games.

Showers is in the same boat, but a year ahead. That year helps, but he had farther to go and less to work with.

If I had to pick, I'd go with Showers if I had to, just to not ruin Dak by giving him too much, too soon. We really ought to have brought in a vet to push Moore in the first place instead of handing him a job he hadn't earned yet outright.

That said, I'm sure you're right that we pick up a QB at cut downs somewhere along the way. We'll move Showers back to the PS or let him go outright, and stash Dak to develop him. Next year Dak ought to be pushing for that QB2 role.

And since we're in wait and see mode anyway, sure, if Showers or Dak shows somehow they've got enough to hold the QB2 role, great. The chances of them doing that legitimately (and I mean not just the team sticking with them because they didn't give themselves options when it was possible to do so) are slim.

For the record, I do think the team is quietly pretty high on Dak. Not just with Jason spending time with him. If you heard the Linehan segment about him last week where he was talking about his son (college QB) watching him and commenting on how poised he is. Who knows how significant it was, but it sounded like a tidbit from a positive conversation about the player after the first few weeks of his first offseason.