News: BTB: Cowboys Camp Battle: Who Ya Got, Dak Prescott vs. Jameill Showers?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Tyrod Taylor as well. He started out as a backup too just like Dak and Showers. Like you said it's no guarantee but it definitely isn't impossible
Taylor took a long time.

Nothing is impossible but you cant rely on fringe pick or UDFA as your future until absolutely prove to you that they in fact. In the cases of Prescott and Showers, on order to do that they will likely have to beat out a much higher draft pick to do so. Possibly even a first rounder. Ive heard nothing from the Cowboys that suggest they believe Prescott is their QB of the future. Thats pure fan rationality. However to say that at this point given the evidence of QBs drafted after the 3rd round is completely irrational

Wrangler87

Reaction score
How foolish would this FO look going into the season with one of these two as Romo's primary backup? Not even this FO would make that mistake.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Showers has a huge advantage due to the extra year here. The article in the op severely under plays that point. Gun to my head.... Showers?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
How foolish would this FO look going into the season with one of these two as Romo's primary backup? Not even this FO would make that mistake.
They tried to get Foles but he chose KC.

Dont think they wanted to give up a mid rounder for McCown

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Dak, in particular, is the one I"m concerned about. Going from never having taken snaps behind center and never calling plays in a huddle to developing the skills for both while learning to make NFL-defense adjustments at the line with a brand new playbook---that's an incredibly tall order. It's hard enough to QB2 when you know the system, have had a couple of years to work on your mechanics full-time and have at least called plays and read live defenses in a handful of NFL games.

Showers is in the same boat, but a year ahead. That year helps, but he had farther to go and less to work with.

If I had to pick, I'd go with Showers if I had to, just to not ruin Dak by giving him too much, too soon. We really ought to have brought in a vet to push Moore in the first place instead of handing him a job he hadn't earned yet outright.

That said, I'm sure you're right that we pick up a QB at cut downs somewhere along the way. We'll move Showers back to the PS or let him go outright, and stash Dak to develop him. Next year Dak ought to be pushing for that QB2 role.

And since we're in wait and see mode anyway, sure, if Showers or Dak shows somehow they've got enough to hold the QB2 role, great. The chances of them doing that legitimately (and I mean not just the team sticking with them because they didn't give themselves options when it was possible to do so) are slim.

For the record, I do think the team is quietly pretty high on Dak. Not just with Jason spending time with him. If you heard the Linehan segment about him last week where he was talking about his son (college QB) watching him and commenting on how poised he is. Who knows how significant it was, but it sounded like a tidbit from a positive conversation about the player after the first few weeks of his first offseason.

That would have given Dallas 5 QB. I could have seen Dallas not staying with Moore and getting a vet with more experience than Moore but never expected to see Dallas bring in 5.

As for Dak and Showers, no doubt they could not be expected to run the offense as a vet would or Romo but one things both have going for them is very good athletic ability to pull the ball down and run. Granted not something I want from my starting QB but if put in a situation where I had to lean on one of these 2 guys I would put in plays that would play to their own strength, getting them outside the pocket to be able to use their athletic ability. I seriously doubt either guy would be ready to just stand in the pocket and make all the reads quickly and get the ball off as a pocket QB. I would hope one of these 2 guys given time can develop the ability to work from the pocket.

As for most of the QB names that have been thrown around I would not have had an issue getting one but my feelings would have been the same should Romo do down for a long period of time and that is we would be in trouble because frankly only things I see out there are guys who have already washed out to begin with.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would have given Dallas 5 QB. I could have seen Dallas not staying with Moore and getting a vet with more experience than Moore but never expected to see Dallas bring in 5.

As for Dak and Showers, no doubt they could not be expected to run the offense as a vet would or Romo but one things both have going for them is very good athletic ability to pull the ball down and run. Granted not something I want from my starting QB but if put in a situation where I had to lean on one of these 2 guys I would put in plays that would play to their own strength, getting them outside the pocket to be able to use their athletic ability. I seriously doubt either guy would be ready to just stand in the pocket and make all the reads quickly and get the ball off as a pocket QB. I would hope one of these 2 guys given time can develop the ability to work from the pocket.

As for most of the QB names that have been thrown around I would not have had an issue getting one but my feelings would have been the same should Romo do down for a long period of time and that is we would be in trouble because frankly only things I see out there are guys who have already washed out to begin with.

I'd have brought Showers to camp on the same basis he was here last year as a jack of all trades. He could push Dak and K Moore and the vet fight to see who earns the QB2 job. If either go down, you still have a QB2 and a developmental guy. If you have to cut Showers, ok. He seems like a guy who deserves a shot, but there are guys like him available all the time at the bottom of NFL rosters.

I don't risk Dak's development by having him try to do too much too soon. If he just had mechanics issues, or just had to learn to play under center, or he just had to learn to read NFL defenses like any rookie, fine. But he's got to do all of that. Athletically, and in terms of leadership, Dak's a quality prospect. He went at the bottom of the 4th round because he's got a couple of seasons of work to do to get to the level guys like Goff were at coming out, and there's uncertainty with each step of the development that he might not be able to cut it. If you have the guy working on his drops and handling the ball, he's not going to have the bandwidth to be speeding up his progressions at the same time. He might be a quick study, fine, but there's no good reason to push him. Just bring in a Brian Hoyer or a TJ Yates and make sure you've got your backup job set for the season. If you go through both Romo and your QB2 in season, then you're talking about getting the rookie some snaps sometime near the end of the year (one would hope). That still isn't good, but it's at least understandable. As it is, he's probably starting the first preseason game.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'd have brought Showers to camp on the same basis he was here last year as a jack of all trades. He could push Dak and K Moore and the vet fight to see who earns the QB2 job. If either go down, you still have a QB2 and a developmental guy. If you have to cut Showers, ok. He seems like a guy who deserves a shot, but there are guys like him available all the time at the bottom of NFL rosters.

I don't risk Dak's development by having him try to do too much too soon. If he just had mechanics issues, or just had to learn to play under center, or he just had to learn to read NFL defenses like any rookie, fine. But he's got to do all of that. Athletically, and in terms of leadership, Dak's a quality prospect. He went at the bottom of the 4th round because he's got a couple of seasons of work to do to get to the level guys like Goff were at coming out, and there's uncertainty with each step of the development that he might not be able to cut it. If you have the guy working on his drops and handling the ball, he's not going to have the bandwidth to be speeding up his progressions at the same time. He might be a quick study, fine, but there's no good reason to push him. Just bring in a Brian Hoyer or a TJ Yates and make sure you've got your backup job set for the season. If you go through both Romo and your QB2 in season, then you're talking about getting the rookie some snaps sometime near the end of the year (one would hope). That still isn't good, but it's at least understandable. As it is, he's probably starting the first preseason game.

I don't have any issue with getting a QB now with Moore gone but again nothing out there strikes me as some savior. As for rushing? Dallas is not making him the starter he is a backup and if the plan is developing him well 3rd string does not get near the reps they need to be able to develop so are you really developing him?

Let me finish like I started in this thread and that is people are making up their minds without seeing 1 live snap given to either guy. How can any judgments be made before actually seeing what he can and can't do under fire?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
One thing Dak has going for him is, reportedly, is the ability to be accurate while on the run. So deigned roll outs would benefit him and I read that they're incorporating some read option as well. Through, I've been calling for deigned roll outs for Romo for forever.

I'm 90% certain they'll still bring in a vet.

School

Reaction score
The scouting report on Dak coming out of college was that he struggles leading receivers with his throws and he goes through progressions slowly, which can cause him to hold onto the ball too long. So, if he struggles with those two things in his first couple preseason games, lets try not to panic since those are things that will probably not be fixed in < one training camp.

Improving his footwork and mechanics is probably more important at this stage, although to be honest I have no idea what that entails.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing Dak has going for him is, reportedly, is the ability to be accurate while on the run. So deigned roll outs would benefit him and I read that they're incorporating some read option as well. Through, I've been calling for deigned roll outs for Romo for forever.

I'm 90% certain they'll still bring in a vet.

They'll bring in a vet. He'll have time to come up to speed. It's a shame he'll miss camp, but whatever. Tony's going to have a great year. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Maybe getting the preseason game snaps will be good for Dak in retrospect. I just don't like that we don't have a better option than is going to be available at cut-downs for a decent QB2. Whoever it is, he's still going to be the worst guy on that team's camp that we're gobbling up to protect ourselves from having to play a rookie in a pinch.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have any issue with getting a QB now with Moore gone but again nothing out there strikes me as some savior. As for rushing? Dallas is not making him the starter he is a backup and if the plan is developing him well 3rd string does not get near the reps they need to be able to develop so are you really developing him?

Let me finish like I started in this thread and that is people are making up their minds without seeing 1 live snap given to either guy. How can any judgments be made before actually seeing what he can and can't do under fire?

We'll see. Dak's a gamer, at least. It's just not a risk I'd run. I'd put the guy at QB3 and leave him there for a year.

To answer your other question, you can learn a ton in a year at QB3 if you're still working on mechanics and basics like taking snaps from under center. I"m perfectly happy bringing the guy along as a redshirt right now.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
We'll see. Dak's a gamer, at least. It's just not a risk I'd run. I'd put the guy at QB3 and leave him there for a year.

To answer your other question, you can learn a ton in a year at QB3 if you're still working on mechanics and basics like taking snaps from under center. I"m perfectly happy bringing the guy along as a redshirt right now.

I don't want to see him play either but then I don't want to see any backup playing at QB this season.

Craig

Reaction score
Id like them to get a vet, put Showers on the practice squad and prescott inactive for 17 weeks. Ideally the vet sees fewer than 50 snaps.