BTB: Cowboys News & Notes: Paxton Lynch or Jared Goff or RG3?

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa-today-8169089.0.jpg

Latest Cowboys headlines: Will Cowboys look for a QB in the draft or in free agency? Will Greg Hardy remain a Cowboy? How long will Commanders play their starters?

Monday kicks of mock draft season in earnest. We get a head start with two mock drafts that have the Cowboys picking - you guessed it - a quarterback.

2016 NFL Mock Draft: Why Cowboys should be searching for Tony Romo's successor - Peter Schrager, FOX Sports
Could Jerry Jones and Co. be in the market for a big-arm talent like Memphis QB Paxton Lynch? Peter Schrager says so in his first annual mock draft.

4. Dallas Cowboys: Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis

Cowboys fans got a glimpse of what life without Tony Romo could be like this season, and it wasn't pretty. No veteran journeyman or practice squad fixture (Kellen Moore) can replace a franchise quarterback. Especially in Big D. Barring a trade (Manziel?) or a notable free-agent acquisition, the Cowboys should look to pick Romo's successor this year. Lynch is 6-foot-7, surprisingly mobile and very accurate. He's a mold of clay, still, and could use a few years of learning from Romo before being elevated to the No. 1.

NFL Draft Mock 2016 - Drafttek.com
Drafttek.com uses a computer program to simulate a 7-round 2016 NFL Mock Draft, and they end up giving the Cowboys the other quarterback.

5. Dallas, Jared Goff, QB, California

Although Dallas has issues other than QB, another FG-only offensive output against Buffalo proves opposing defenses do not respect the Cowboys' passing attack inside the red zone. By the way, did anyone else notice that former Cowboy Brandon Weeden led the Texans to victory with a 34 point offensive output? But I digress . . . it has always been better to develop pro quarterbacks over a couple of years and that may be all Tony Romo has left. Jared Goff compiled a 156.4 passer rating over Cal's 12 games in 2015, highlighted by 64.2 completion percentage, 4,252 yards, 37 TD's, and 13 INT's. Goff's performance in a loss to eventual Pac-12 Champion Stanford may prove to be the tape that scouts utilize in making their case for the tall Bear signal-caller.

Four more months with unending iterations of the two mocks above. Yippee skippee.

Of course, there's always free agency to drive you to the drink as well.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Either Lynch or Goff is fine with me. Bur hell no to RG3, or JF, or any other QB that will be available.

They are going to do something on the veteran front. If you look at the available free agents, it looks like a bunch of Weedens and Cassels.

If Griffin is available, it is almost a foregone conclusion he gets serious consideration.

Think of the reasons. Jones still marvels at his 4TDs on Thanksgiving. There is the idea of "sticking it" to a division rival, even though it would really be doing them a favor. He is likely to get a strong plug from Briles, who has some ears in in the organization. Hometown boy coming back to Dallas. It would even sell a bunch of jerseys.

Just revolting.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Sign RG3 as a backup for a couple of years and draft Goff if he's there...He's the most polished QB coming out this year since Luck, I think Lynch would need a couple of years to develop but I think SF selects Goff

Dallas can't continue to put off or ignore drafting the successor to Romo, it's long past due to have his replacement in the pipeline....

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Sign RG3 as a backup for a couple of years and draft Goff if he's there...He's the most polished QB coming out this year since Luck, I think Lynch would need a couple of years to develop but I think SF selects Goff

Dallas can't continue to put off or ignore drafting the successor to Romo, it's long past due to have his replacement in the pipeline....

I guarantee you if they sign Griffin, they are not drafting a QB in the first.

In their minds, that signing will be addressing their big hot button issue they said they would do: the backup to Romo.

They are not that gung-ho on throwing that many resources at the position.

robjay04

Reaction score

In their minds, that signing will be addressing their big hot button issue they said they would do: the backup to Romo.

If they sign RGIII or make a move for Manziel AND spend a top 5 pick on a quarterback, that would be going overboard. If we spend a top 5 pick, I do not want them being an inactive 3rd stringer when I am sure we will pass on premier talent to land that quarterback.

As for Griffin, I don't think it's that realistic. I am sure the team will consider him but he is not going to sign to be a backup, he has a pro bowl caliber season under his belt in a QB starved league, he will get a shot. Dallas isn't going to pay him much more than backup money as well. I am sure his agent will demand a contract similar to what Foles signed a few months ago. A short contract paying him north of 10 million so he can earn a huge contract if he has success. Dallas won't offer him that much money or q chance to prove he is a starter.

Manziel is more realistic because you have him under a more reasonable contract for 2-3 years if you make a move to get him. Only way we will get any decent veteran quarterback is through trade...anyone of any value will sign somewhere for more money where they can play.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are going to do something on the veteran front. If you look at the available free agents, it looks like a bunch of Weedens and Cassels.

If Griffin is available, it is almost a foregone conclusion he gets serious consideration.

Think of the reasons. Jones still marvels at his 4TDs on Thanksgiving. There is the idea of "sticking it" to a division rival, even though it would really be doing them a favor. He is likely to get a strong plug from Briles, who has some ears in in the organization. Hometown boy coming back to Dallas. It would even sell a bunch of jerseys.

Just revolting.

Which gets JJ into trouble, he listens to too many people from the outside, and not enough from the inside.
Lacewell screwed us way more than helped...well, did he ever help....

The Quest for Six

Reaction score

Yes that would be Jerry Jones flawed thinking......but a real football GM wouldn't think that way..RG3 wouldn't be a long term plan, a two year deal and a chance for him to rebuild his stock and would be a major improvement from what's been here for the last two years at backup and a chance for a Goff or Lynch to develop...Romo's day's are numbered, two years at the most, he's a declining player, regardless of the nonsense that comes out of Jerry's mouth..