BTB: Cowboys thoughts: New reports make it clear how necessary the coaching changes were

J-man

Reaction score
I remember all those calls for Garrett to be fired and Richard to be promoted to head coach, because he is yeller/screamer on the sideline.

I think the part that's missing in all these talks and it will eventually come out, is the dysfunctional group that they were. offense on different pages, it was obvious Garrett didn't trust moore and put a nozzle on him and tried to control him, and Marinelli and Richard were on different pages. this was a total mess in 2019. you could see the players frustration mounting as the year went.

I said this all year, Rod was yelling attack up field at all costs, while Richard was playing his DB's in off coverage zone. Any decent QB could get the ball out to an open receiver before the rush could get home all day long.

Dre11

Reaction score
What's Garrett's playoff record? Yeah, thought so. He was a mediocre coach at his very best. His refusal to adapt and his coaching blunders cost many games. Defending him is silly. He has an eye for talent, but he's not head coach material. He should have went into scouting or management, not coaching.

lol..you said his style couldn't hold up to good teams or playoff caliber teams, now you want to change your stance, I provided you teams they beat that were good and playoff caliber and can list more if I do more research, you were wrong. own it.

also if you do your research you'll probably find that most teams don't do well vs good playoff caliber teams

Last edited:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I confess, I thought Richard was hired as a possible HC replacement for Garrett but that is because I was off the Garrett train after 2013 even though I got mad love for clapper.

Jerry keeping Garrett hurt both parties. I was wrong on Kris but ultimately the buck has to stop somewhere,....... Clapper
I have had opinions in the past and much like you I don't have a problem admitting I was wrong about my opinion....I thought garrett could do it, joined the garrett sucks party late, but glad he is gone now.

I never really liked Richard. I thought the players he had up in Seattle made him look good.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I said this all year, Rod was yelling attack up field at all costs, while Richard was playing his DB's in off coverage zone. Any decent QB could get the ball out to an open receiver before the rush could get home all day long.
that would probably leave the middle right open, special with LVE being out....

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Yep. The Cowboys were tipping off their plays so much that they were in effect dictating where they wanted the opponent to throw the ball. And the opponents were happy to oblige and happy to have success.

It's no coincidence that scrub quarterbacks like Mitch Trubisky could have career days against the Cowboys. We made it easy for them.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Some recent interviews put Kris Richard in the crosshairs. But it not only doesn’t let Jason Garrett off the hook, it further implicates him.

By Tom Ryle@TomRyleBTB May 10, 2020, 10:00am CDT

Then came the use of a fourth overall pick for Ezekiel Elliott. That may be even more telling, because Garrett didn’t hide that he wanted to run the offense through Elliott. It became even more clear once Tony Romo was supplanted by Elliott’s fellow rookie, Dak Prescott. Despite the growing body of data and analysis that passing the ball is by far more effective than handing it off in almost all situations, including first and most second downs, the Cowboys remained fully committed to establishing the run. Far too often, they attempted to do that with tight formations and multiple tight ends. For years, the most effective package for Dallas to pass or run has been 11 personnel, when the defense could not load up the box. But again and again, the Cowboys would show run and hand it off, with frequently disappointing results.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...clear-how-necessary-the-coaching-changes-were

Try and tell the titans , ravens, and Niners that passing is more effective, they produced a ton of wins based on running over throwing..

tired of stats and analytics when you have great player at any position you do focus on building around them, and in 2016 it was the Ol and Zeke 2014 OL and Murray, you need a QB to be able to take advantage of the situations in which teams collapse their defense to stop the run and dare you to pass.. the issues were more defensive failures in playoff games then they were on garett and the run game..

we allowed Dak to pass more and ended up 8-8 with a great stat line./. his QBR in the bigger game down the stretch were bad.. the run vs pass only comes into play by countering what the defense is trying to take away and make them pay.. Dak and the coaching staff did not get that done last year.. the second half play calls to go away from a hot first half ruin game repeatedly failed..that was huge mistake, pollard and zeke should have had many more games like the rams/Mia game sans letting Dak throw us into losses, not all his fault but no way a run first philosophy was our failure.. Zeke led the league in first half yards and some of those losses he was putting it on teams and the coaches and dak to a lessor extent with the pass game is exactly what the defense wanted, it failed when it came down to the last 20yard=no TDs, missed Fgs etc etc yards men squat without scores//

Last year Tom brady would have loved having EE and a better OL because thats what failed them on offense..it was tom or bust..

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I DISAGREE.

We lost 4 games where the opponent scored less than 15 points. That shows a lack of offense. the other 4 games we scored 22+ points and showed a lack of defense.
Doing your homework, first, before commenting would help. Check out how many times we rushed the ball during those 4 losses and notice how often Zeke got stuffed for low total yards gained during those same losses. Maybe then you wouldn't be so quick to chastise or question why the run was abandoned. It's because Zeke and our Oline weren't doing their jobs. That's why.

You're barking at Dak and the increased passing attack for the failures of Zeke and our rushing Oline. That's not fair nor right. Put the blame where it truly deserves.

nobody

Reaction score
lol..you said his style couldn't hold up to good teams or playoff caliber teams, now you want to change your stance, I provided you teams they beat that were good and playoff caliber and can list more if I do more research, you were wrong. own it.

also if you do your research you'll probably find that most teams don't do well vs good playoff caliber teams

Sure thing dude. There's a reason he's not a head coach now and it's not because he's a good HC. His style can't handle playoff caliber teams without overwhelming talent. He's stuck in the 90's Cowboys mindset and it's the reason he's not HC anymore.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doing your homework, first, before commenting would help. Check out how many times we rushed the ball during those 4 losses and notice how often Zeke got stuffed for low total yards gained during those same losses. Maybe then you wouldn't be so quick to chastise or question why the run was abandoned. It's because Zeke and our Oline weren't doing their jobs. That's why.

You're barking at Dak and the increased passing attack for the failures of Zeke and our rushing Oline. That's not fair nor right. Put the blame where it truly deserves.

Yea we didn't run enough vs the patriots so we lost? Perhaps you should take your own advice. I didn't blame any loss on 1 guy. I blamed it on the offense, if you don't know zeke plays on that side of the ball. So even if you fault zeke in 4 losses I am still correct that our offense failed to score 15 points in 4 of 8 losses. My point is even if your passing is efficient it's still not enough to win games you need the offense to be efficient and for 50% of our losses it was not.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Yea we didn't run enough vs the patriots so we lost? Perhaps you should take your own advice. I didn't blame any loss on 1 guy. I blamed it on the offense, if you don't know zeke plays on that side of the ball. So even if you fault zeke in 4 losses I am still correct that our offense failed to score 15 points in 4 of 8 losses. My point is even if your passing is efficient it's still not enough to win games you need the offense to be efficient and for 50% of our losses it was not.
I agree. It takes the whole offense to score points. I'm merely stating a fact. There was a reason why the run game was abandoned during those 4 low scoring game losses. It's because the run game failed to execute (which pertains to Zeke and the Oline as I previously mentioned).

Dre11

Reaction score
Sure thing dude. There's a reason he's not a head coach now and it's not because he's a good HC. His style can't handle playoff caliber teams without overwhelming talent. He's stuck in the 90's Cowboys mindset and it's the reason he's not HC anymore.

then answer the question, explain the win againt the playoff caliber teams they did beat. how many teams win without talent? How many games did Greenbay win without Rodgers. Explain "DUDE"

nobody

Reaction score
then answer the question, explain the win againt the playoff caliber teams they did beat. how many teams win without talent? How many games did Greenbay win without Rodgers. Explain "DUDE"

How come some teams win just fine without their starting QB? How come those playoff teams don't fail when losing 1 critical players? Garrett's "Beat your man" failed. It's plain and simple. The way you defend him, you must know him personally. The dude can't HC.

Dre11

Reaction score
How come some teams win just fine without their starting QB? How come those playoff teams don't fail when losing 1 critical players? Garrett's "Beat your man" failed. It's plain and simple. The way you defend him, you must know him personally. The dude can't HC.

lol...didnt we win 13 damn games without our starting qb?

nobody

Reaction score

True, that one year...and what did they do the next year? What happened in the playoffs? Why wasn't Garrett EVER able to have a team advance to the divisional round in the playoffs? Why are you so adamant that he was a good HC? The guy was a HC for long enough and couldn't get it done. He couldn't get it done as an OC either, but I think is a better OC than HC. He iced his own kicker. His clock management was bad. If he was a good HC, he'd be a HC somewhere. No adjustments, no disguising plays..constantly telegraphing your plays... yeah, that's the sign of a modern, great HC.. lol

I supported Garrett for years and then I saw the light. He can't get it done as a HC. Even with a high number of Pro Bowlers, he couldn't get it done in the end. He's good at building. He would probably make a great GM. But as a coach? Nope.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'll cop to some form of that. For me a combination of an impressive resume, improvement of the secondary in year one, and just wanting it to be anyone but Garrett. Wrong on that one.

Yeah, it became more and more apparent. And I'm on record as saying that the upcoming results will be apparent and stark. And undeniable. I think that barring significant injury, this team will finish with double digit wins for sure, leaving no doubt that the former coach and staff were the true problem in Dallas.

I tally a good 3-4 games lost from poor coaching last year. Probably the *worst* year of Garrett's tenure for that, and that's saying a lot.

cern

Reaction score
Game plans must sometimes be changed to compensate for a backup, particularity at qb. In 2015, without romo, Garrett coached the team to a 1-11 record. Pathetic.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

You hero Garrett was soooo good that teams were lining up the make him their HC. Wait...……….

Oh yah...…...just another thing you got dead wrong about Garrett.