News: BTB: Dak Was Never the Problem, It Was the Receivers. Here’s the Proof

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
How do you know he's not watching film? We had receivers that couldn't separate at all. Hence the reason he threw in tight windows a lot. He missed a couple throws...no different than any other QB. Let him learn....he'll be ok. He's just a 2nd year QB.

Dak was fine for 24 games, EVEN as a rookie and 2nd year guys until Chaz Green was in for Smith and Zeke wasnt running the ball. Even with bad route runners. Don't bother arguing with the Romo cry babies. Its very clear they simply don't understand football or have no interest in seeing the obvious.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The funny thing is a lot of people in the forum think Eli Manning was awful and is basically done as a QB. But his stats and Daks are right there together.

Only to people that don't understand the game or QB play.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
No just an example. Last year his mechanics stunk he was not on time and as accurate in 2016. I do not put stock in the under pressure argument because his accuracy and "on time-ness" was not great before the ATL game. Now I am not an All-22 junky but I did have the privilege of watching all but 1 game last year his inability to get the ball to his receivers on the move is what caused this offense to struggle. He was tick slow to get it to guys and he would not have it on the guy but somewhere around them.
Well, if that's what you believe than so be it. I watched every game last year. I've played QB. I've coached. None in the NFL but nonetheless, played. If you think that pressure doesn't change your throws (ATL game), then you need to play the position. There's more to it than being slow to his receivers. You don't just throw the football. If receivers aren't getting any separation, you have to hold the ball a little longer than you want. Most throws SHOULD BE around the receiver. There are a lot of factors when throwing a football....like a CB, S, or LB. Does he need to work on his footwork...yes. He's young.

His last year was only considered down because of his rookie year. But the whole team had a down year...OL, WR, TEs. Not just Dak. So, you have to find somerhing else

After watching him play for two years, I have no doubt in my mind. So, you can continue to find one game here one game there. But someone who's played and/or coached this game...knows better.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
I fully agree. Coming off a rookie season that was really great by any standard he fell of some this past season. Some of his own doing and some not of his doing. However he has not looked for scape goats, he knows what he must work on and improve on as a QB. Romo always talked of working and improving through out his entire career, there will always be things you will look at to improve on. Garrett also was quick to say after the season that Dak needed to improve

“He has done a lot of really good things, but he could improve in every aspect of his game – his understanding of what we’re doing, his understanding of what the defense is doing, and how they fit together. Physically, he can get better, the way he gets away from the center, his mechanics in the (shotgun), his decisiveness, his decision-making, all of those things can get better and they will get better.”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...scott-dallas-cowboys-jason-garrett/383183002/

He clearly will enter this season with a lot of pressure on him, he will not have Dez or Witten and will need to establish a feel for some new WR's vet and rookies alike and win. I fully support the kid and believe he can but it is on him to make it happen.
You can say that about 25 QBs in the league. I've played this game and coached....and he needs to get better but I don't see what you're seeing.to that extent.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Didn't say he didn't watch film.

But I think not having Romo's brain in the film room with him, hurt him Romo was a very smart vet, who was very good pre-snap. Losing Romo in that QB room hurt Dak's ability to learn.
Ummm....unless you were in that room, you can't say that either. It took Romo TIME to learn that. It's going to take Dak time also

cmoney23

Reaction score
Ummm....unless you were in that room, you can't say that either. It took Romo TIME to learn that. It's going to take Dak time also
I can't say what I think unless I was in the room??

Not saying it can't be done, but it needs to be done.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, if that's what you believe than so be it. I watched every game last year. I've played QB. I've coached. None in the NFL but nonetheless, played. If you think that pressure doesn't change your throws (ATL game), then you need to play the position. There's more to it than being slow to his receivers. You don't just throw the football. If receivers aren't getting any separation, you have to hold the ball a little longer than you want. Most throws SHOULD BE around the receiver. There are a lot of factors when throwing a football....like a CB, S, or LB. Does he need to work on his footwork...yes. He's young.

His last year was only considered down because of his rookie year. But the whole team had a down year...OL, WR, TEs. Not just Dak. So, you have to find somerhing else

After watching him play for two years, I have no doubt in my mind. So, you can continue to find one game here one game there. But someone who's played and/or coached this game...knows better.

Hey bud being that you've played the game and coached the "Game" why don't you go down to Dallas and start for us at QB really can't get any worse with Dak currently under center!
Maybe we will throw for 300 yrds and convert some 3rd 7+ and who knows see a long TD pass which has become non-existent with Dak....

Dorsett33

Reaction score
I can't say what I think unless I was in the room??

Not saying it can't be done, but it needs to be done.
You can say what you want...but you don't know if Romo needs to be in the room for Dak to learn or not. It could be just experience on the field combined with film work. Doesn't necessary means Romo needs to be in the room.

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Hey bud being that you've played the game and coached the "Game" why don't you go down to Dallas and start for us at QB really can't get any worse with Dak currently under center!
Maybe we will throw for 300 yrds and convert some 3rd 7+ and who knows see a long TD pass which has become non-existent with Dak....
Cute....real cute. But, I'm a little too old for those days. If you think Dak is that bad then no needs to go into anything else. You just need to take time to learn the game and position. Sorry that you're not getting it.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The major differences in Dak's statistics are his increase in attempts. Which effect his percentages. He also threw 9 more INTs.
I think it's realistic to suggest that due to a lot of missing pieces Dak struggled under pressure. Rightfully so.
We were without the LT, the LG was not good, Elliott was out and a new RT.

His total yards only went down an average of 20 per game. His passing and rushing TDs were the same.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cute....real cute. But, I'm a little too old for those days. If you think Dak is that bad then no needs to go into anything else. You just need to take time to learn the game and position. Sorry that you're not getting it.

Whats going to change if i learn the game at your expertise level?
Will Dak become a quality QB?
Take a good look at last years games esp vrs the eagles,falcons,and bolts, 3 most crucial games and being that you know this game better than the rest of us post here where the heck was our QB?
Or better yet check out our last game vrs the 3rd stinger Eagles where we won with 2 fg....ya professor your correct Dak was total stud in that one!
15 Q of offense without a TD.....thats where he was!
Hike Hike.....

Dorsett33

Reaction score
Whats going to change if i learn the game at your expertise level?
Will Dak become a quality QB?
Take a good look at last years games esp vrs the eagles,falcons,and bolts, 3 most crucial games and being that you know this game better than the rest of us post here where the heck was our QB?
Or better yet check out our last game vrs the 3rd stinger Eagles where we won with 2 fg....ya professor your correct Dak was total stud in that one!
15 Q of offense without a TD.....thats where he was!
Hike Hike.....
Thanks for the compliment. But I'm no expert. If I'm not mistaken, there are 16 games in a season. And get this....he played 16 games the previous season. Hmmm....and you can only find 3? And you failed to mention we had a left tackle against ATL that had no business being on the field but because that's all we had, our hands were tied. Smh...you guys kill me. You don't mention how the OL took a step back last year. The WRs and TEs couldn't catch and cause 4 or 5 of his INTs. But you go ahead and focus on THOSE 3 GAMES. While we supporters will continue to encourage this QB and watch him grow.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Carson Wentz was sacked more times than PRESCOTT last season..

Carson Wentz played less games than Prescott last season...

Carson Wentz didn't turn into Tim Tebow..

I mean, I know you need an excuse , but come on man..

Our OLine (while not the best last season) was middle of the pack in terms of sacks and that's counting that Atlanta debacle..

Also, I remember Dwight Freeney saying that he loved playing against "mobile" QBs in his day because he knew he had a chance to get a sack because "mobile" QBs tend to hold the ball longer and add the fact that Prescott needs to see his WRs get "open" before he throws them the ball and you are asking for sacks...
Woah, those were great points bro especially about the wentz sacks