News: BTB: Dak Was Never the Problem, It Was the Receivers. Here’s the Proof

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I grew up when sportsmanship was reflected by players and fans alike.

My values are on the quality of play, even if not always the best, but in effort offered and sacrifices endured. That's football, and not America's Got Talent.

Rich coming from someone who tries to insult anyone who might be critical of something with the team and tries to hide that fact by using muddied language.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Dak until the ATL game was fine. Dak after that who missed wide open recievers even on simple little dumpoffs was a massive problem.

The entire direction of this team depends on that end-of-year terrible Dak being an aberration. If that Dak shows up more often, this team is in trouble.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I grew up when sportsmanship was reflected by players and fans alike.

My values are on the quality of play, even if not always the best, but in effort offered and sacrifices endured. That's football, and not America's Got Talent.
I think most of us embraced Dak very strongly in 2016. But would we have as strongly without the winning steak?

We can’t expect everyone to continue to embrace Dak without winning.

The NFL is a talent driven league not our local school team playing rooting on our favorite kids.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think most of us embraced Dak very strongly in 2016. But would we have as strongly without the winning steak ?

We can’t expect everyone to continue to embrace Dak without winning.

The NFL is a talent driven league not our local school team playing rooting on our favorite kids.

So, you followed the team when it came up under Murchison's ownership, and his VOTE OF CONFIDENCE in Tom Landry, huh?

LittleD

Reaction score
So, you followed the team when it came up under Murchison's ownership, and his VOTE OF CONFIDENCE in Tom Landry, huh?

At least you have to give Landry two things. He knew defense and he was not afraid to innovate. He got his teams more often that not into the dance every season. Garrett, not so much.

Rayman70

Reaction score
What excites me about the future is Mike White and Cooper Rush. I think the preseason will bare this out. I think we drafted a QB the Patriots may have wanted in White. The guy is a highly productive QB,has all the traits you cant teach...ie Height,high football IQ.

Proof

Reaction score
All that matters in this league is wins. This is especially true at the QB position. I'd personally take Aikman over Marino any day of the week.

He will be judged by Ws and not any other stat.

If that was the case everyone should love him lol

CCBoy

Reaction score
At least you have to give Landry two things. He knew defense and he was not afraid to innovate. He got his teams more often that not into the dance every season. Garrett, not so much.
Oh, I understand your point.

But to be discussive, and not biased, Landry was given a vote of confidence after five years. That is when ownership could actually buy a team that they wanted and Murchison's Father had very, very deep pockets. Oh, Tom Landry was a great figure in the history of the Dallas Cowboys. Nineteen straight winning seasons will never again be equaled as long as football remains similar to the original game.

But things then and when Jason Garrett came to the Cowboys, were very much changed. Jason inherited cap hell and a roster that was in need of extreme changes. Since the lockout, the Dallas Cowboys, under Garrett have re-emerged as a challenging team. I dare say, that if success in the playoffs return, he will be looked at similarly or at least on common grounds of success.

Granted, that has to be seen, to be more than possible direction...but I think we all can agree that the Cowboys have been improving and are actually pretty good.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Please do not understate the lack of adequate game-planning from Scott Linehan, as well. Every single receiver took a step back last year, and Linehan demonstrated that he was incapable of finding creative ways to get guys into space.

Ken

Reaction score
Dak got sacked six times against the Falcons and got a little shell shocked. A healthy Smith and the addition of Williams along with the return of a focused Zeke should help a lot. Dak really could improve his pocked presence though. Sometimes he seems oblivious to the oncoming pass rush.
8 times.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Dak’s an average QB. Nothing more, nothing less. I think he has great intangibles and can lead us to victory under proper management. Trying to call this dude Tom Brady or even Romo is wishful thinking.

All that matters is winning. If Dak’s teams win, he will be a local legend even if he misses the occasional open throw.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Missing the best LT in the NFL didn't matter one bit.
Neither did missing the best RB in the NFL.
Or the best LBer in the NFL.
Or the best Kicker in the NFL. (Props to Heath for actually making a FG!).
Or the worst LG performance known to mankind.
Or a new RT that struggled a bit.
Or a "No. 1" WR having meltdowns all year long.
Or the play calling.

Nope. Lets throw the book at ONE player in his second season. Ever.
What fans should be doing is taking a gander at other QBs first 2 seasons and get a little perspective.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Please do not understate the lack of adequate game-planning from Scott Linehan, as well. Every single receiver took a step back last year, and Linehan demonstrated that he was incapable of finding creative ways to get guys into space.
and do not discount the derek dooley affect. He didn't help the receivers adjust...he enabled them to be lazy. That's why we made a change there and brought in Sanjay Lal.

Proof

Reaction score
The thing with Dak is it’s really difficult to accurately say exactly who he is. He clearly had a phenomenal rookie year, but so have many others. The start to his 2nd year arguably more impressive because the league had tape on him, things weren’t as easy, and he was finding new and unique ways to do the same things. But then he fell off a cliff. There’s no denying how ugly his play was for a good stretch, and every knock he had coming out exposed itself glaringly, and repeatedly.

And to further complicate things, overall the numbers are still there, but so is the film.

Just difficult to gauge.

For the record, I believe in him, I just don’t argue as adamantly on his behalf because the concerns are valid

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak’s an average QB. Nothing more, nothing less. I think he has great intangibles and can lead us to victory under proper management. Trying to call this dude Tom Brady or even Romo is wishful thinking.

All that matters is winning. If Dak’s teams win, he will be a local legend even if he misses the occasional open throw.
I disagree and give it a wait and see grade on Dak. We just don't know until he has guys around him he feels good about and he can mesh.He never did mesh with Dez because Dez was ok with status QUO. I THINK THE SKY IS THE LIMIT WITH DAK.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yes .

Are you suggesting we give Dak a 10 year contract without more success?

Hardly, if he does well this season...then we talk about a new contract.

If he does poorly, the Cowboys start to look for another quarterback to match the newly created schemes.

I've already stated such on threads...c'mon, keep up.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
So why the hate? Lack of team success inspires SOME of that, but we have a lot of savvy people here that know better. Could it simply be an extremely vocal minority? Negative drama IS a much bigger seller..
I'm not sold.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm not ready to say anything...good or bad about Dak. Its up to him to show us the real QB. HE CAN ONLY DO THAT IF THE TEAM AROUND HIM ADJUSTS TO HIM. That means playcalling,it means the players,and it means the scheme.