BTB: Doing DLaw Dance: Why the Cowboys just have to wait

glimmerman

Reaction score
The Cowboys should have a hard number in mind already and have already given that number to Tank, and if he hasn't accepted it, the team should be moving to trade him. The fact that they haven't probably isn't good for the team, but the team may end up making him play on the tag, and attempting to recoup part of the tag money because he has failed to get surgery.

I don't know how that would play out, or how viable that would be, but in that situation the Cowboys would have nothing to lose because they are already on the hook for the entire tag amount once it is signed.
The fact that a deal hasn’t been done after 2 years of trying isn’t good. Not sure which side is being stubborn. They have working on it long enough to know what is needed to do this deal. I don’t know who his agent is but if he is the one that advised him to hold off on the surgery then he should be fired. He should have had the surgery done and been healing. It likely hurts his trade value not having it done.

Then again maybe that’s the angle. He don’t budge on price and don’t have the surgery done. So if we want to trade him we won’t get as much for him because he is still injured. If they tag him then he will collect the 20 milion and maybe not have to play in all the games to get the accrued season. If he waits to much longer then he won’t be ready for TC. Which he may also want.

Either we are seriously low balling him or he is wanting serious money. Either way I wish we would just get in with it. I feel like a hostage. Lol...

Verdict

Reaction score
The fact that a deal hasn’t been done after 2 years of trying isn’t good. Not sure which side is being stubborn. They have working on it long enough to know what is needed to do this deal. I don’t know who his agent is but if he is the one that advised him to hold off on the surgery then he should be fired. He should have had the surgery done and been healing. It likely hurts his trade value not having it done.

Then again maybe that’s the angle. He don’t budge on price and don’t have the surgery done. So if we want to trade him we won’t get as much for him because he is still injured. If they tag him then he will collect the 20 milion and maybe not have to play in all the games to get the accrued season. If he waits to much longer then he won’t be ready for TC. Which he may also want.

Either we are seriously low balling him or he is wanting serious money. Either way I wish we would just get in with it. I feel like a hostage. Lol...
I can even understand him wanting more money than the Cowboys are willing to give him, even if it's outrageous. The surgery deal is like cutting off his nose to spit his face.

He may end up having to play out this year on the tag because of it, because it limits his trade value. I don't see how driving his own value down helps him ultimately. It's not only a bad idea in the short run it is probably going to give some teams pause in dealing with him going forward.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I can even understand him wanting more money than the Cowboys are willing to give him, even if it's outrageous. The surgery deal is like cutting off his nose to spit his face.

He may end up having to play out this year on the tag because of it, because it limits his trade value. I don't see how driving his own value down helps him ultimately. It's not only a bad idea in the short run it is probably going to give some teams pause in dealing with him going forward.
That’s what I am thinking. Other teams look at how he is dealing with it. His agent is giving him bad advise. I think he wants to force JJ to sign him and give him the money he wants. He is ultimately get paid big money where ever he ends up. He wants to be injured so JJ won’t get enough trade for him. Makes him more likely to sign him instead of trade but what a low move if that’s why he is doing it. But we also don’t know what the offers have been. He has missed time and played limited a few seasons with injury and he has been suspended. But over all a good player. I can’t figure that after 2 years of JJ trying that he is still low balling him. Makes it look like D-Law agent is being unreasonable.

conner01

Reaction score
The Cowboys should have a hard number in mind already and have already given that number to Tank, and if he hasn't accepted it, the team should be moving to trade him. The fact that they haven't probably isn't good for the team, but the team may end up making him play on the tag, and attempting to recoup part of the tag money because he has failed to get surgery.

I don't know how that would play out, or how viable that would be, but in that situation the Cowboys would have nothing to lose because they are already on the hook for the entire tag amount once it is signed.
Can’t really worry about what others get. Decide the max you will pay and if he won’t do that allow him to start busting with other teams
I want Tank back, but waiting is silly
In the great scheme of things the time to trade, if that’s the route you go, is before the draft
What happens with the other guys is more about saving a few bucks or costing yourself more bucks
Decide your max, offer it
If he declines start working on a trade

glimmerman

Reaction score
Can’t really worry about what others get. Decide the max you will pay and if he won’t do that allow him to start busting with other teams
I want Tank back, but waiting is silly
In the great scheme of things the time to trade, if that’s the route you go, is before the draft
What happens with the other guys is more about saving a few bucks or costing yourself more bucks
Decide your max, offer it
If he declines start working on a trade
That would be to easy. They like to posture and negotiate and threaten. I assumed the market was set and it’s a matter of with his injury history and suspension does JJ want to give him too dollar...

conner01

Reaction score
That would be to easy. They like to posture and negotiate and threaten. I assumed the market was set and it’s a matter of with his injury history and suspension does JJ want to give him too dollar...
I’m sure those are considered and I understand that
But my point is, decide what you are willing to pay and make a final offer
If he doesn’t want it let’s start letting him and his agent do some shopping
To me you sign him or trade him before the draft
I want to sign him but if he’s wanting something crazy then I look at other options

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Skimmed through the article and it makes sense. But the danger of Clowney and/or Clark getting overpriced deals first means D-Law will ask for even more.

The Cowboys should try to get a deal done with him before the draft, because if they can't they may rue not trying to trade him for a high pick or two.
This is just like the situation with Bryant and Thomas connected and both got the same exact deal and both were released with only the guarantee an issue.

Clowney was also an injury problem early on so it will be interesting to see how their deals parallel. I am not aware of any rules prohibiting agents from talking, just the teams can be guilty of collusion.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want to sign him but if he’s wanting something crazy then I look at other options
Do we know they haven't been shopping him? What if all 3 of these edge rushers are getting shopped? Could be no team is willing to part with a 1st for any of them?

The draft is supposedly deep in DL, not a good time to be trying to max out a trade for a DE and just how many teams are willing to even consider trading for one of these guys and paying them what they want? If their own teams don't want to pay them for the long term, how many are there willing to pony up?

glimmerman

Reaction score
I have a feeling he is wanting crazy money. Or his agent is..

conner01

Reaction score
That may be
I’d offer best and final and move on if that’s the case
I actually think structure is the hold up not price
But that’s based on opinion not facts

conner01

Reaction score
Do we know they haven't been shopping him? What if all 3 of these edge rushers are getting shopped? Could be no team is willing to part with a 1st for any of them?

The draft is supposedly deep in DL, not a good time to be trying to max out a trade for a DE and just how many teams are willing to even consider trading for one of these guys and paying them what they want? If their own teams don't want to pay them for the long term, how many are there willing to pony up?
We could be but you can’t trade him till he signs. So if you want to trade him the best way is allow his agent to talk to teams

glimmerman

Reaction score
That may be
I’d offer best and final and move on if that’s the case
I actually think structure is the hold up not price
But that’s based on opinion not facts
I agree. I also think him not wanting to collect that 20 million is a huge mistake. Get your shoulder fixed and cash that check. I am not sure that any other team is going to give him what his agent is asking.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We could be but you can’t trade him till he signs. So if you want to trade him the best way is allow his agent to talk to teams
Do we know they're not allowing him to do that? They can have a trade in place contingent on his signing as a lot of them do.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Do we know they're not allowing him to do that? They can have a trade in place contingent on his signing as a lot of them do.
My slight understanding is that the FO doesn’t get along with his agent. So the agent is likely being difficult and the FO don’t want to bend for him. I wish there was a way that the 2 sides could set and talk without the agents. I know they have to be pretty close to a deal. Just guaranteed money or signing bonus amounts separate them. Heck they been working on this for 2 years now...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, one of these agents is going to come out on top with 3 DE's tagged and get the bragging rights and the lure for more players.

I would prefer the salaries of these players not be released, just the team payroll compared to the cap. I don't care what they're getting paid and too often that results in the dissatisfaction shown toward the player, as if we're paying his salary. This is all about the agents getting bragging rights. If they let the salary info out, de-certify them for the NFL.

The NFL, and probably all pro sports, made a mistake by making the money part of the sport. Hell, for 3 years in Dallas, Rodriguez had 250M attached to his name every time it was in print. We know it's a business but how about letting us relax in the illusion it's still a game?

glimmerman

Reaction score
Well, one of these agents is going to come out on top with 3 DE's tagged and get the bragging rights and the lure for more players.

I would prefer the salaries of these players not be released, just the team payroll compared to the cap. I don't care what they're getting paid and too often that results in the dissatisfaction shown toward the player, as if we're paying his salary. This is all about the agents getting bragging rights. If they let the salary info out, de-certify them for the NFL.

The NFL, and probably all pro sports, made a mistake by making the money part of the sport. Hell, for 3 years in Dallas, Rodriguez had 250M attached to his name every time it was in print. We know it's a business but how about letting us relax in the illusion it's still a game?
I just shake my head everytime I see how much these guys are getting paid. If it was me then I wouldn’t want my salary public knowledge. And if I am D-Law then I am pushing my agent to get this done. How much other players make is none of my business and if another DE get paid a few dollars more than me then good for them. And if his agent is the one that’s having him hold off on his surgery then he needs a new agent.

conner01

Reaction score
That’s possible but agents aren’t famous for keeping secrets
I suspect it would have been leaked

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s possible but agents aren’t famous for keeping secrets
I suspect it would have been leaked
They're pretty tight lipped about certain things. Money, they'll let fly freely but they can't afford to make enemies with the owners, who already view them as adversaries.