BTB: Doing DLaw Dance: Why the Cowboys just have to wait

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I just shake my head everytime I see how much these guys are getting paid. If it was me then I wouldn’t want my salary public knowledge. And if I am D-Law then I am pushing my agent to get this done. How much other players make is none of my business and if another DE get paid a few dollars more than me then good for them. And if his agent is the one that’s having him hold off on his surgery then he needs a new agent.
The real game is the one the agents play using their players.

The one that makes me laugh the most is the "disrespect card" that gets played by players not getting offered what they think they're worth. They've never worked a real job and for the most part have been given a pass because they can play football. I don't respect them to begin with, that is earned as a man, not as a football player but they're so shallow that they think respect relates to what a man makes. Beckham and Brown are the two highest WR's in the game and I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire, I have 0 respect for them.

From time to time, I have to remind myself of Joe Delaney, the KC RB that gave his life trying to save three children from drowning. He's my counterweight to a sport overrun with greedy and selfish aholes……...on both sides. Joe Delaney, I respect.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Why would Dallas trade DLaw?!?

Really?

I wouldn't, but if the two sides remain very far apart on a deal and the Cowboys can get a 1st round pick and maybe another later choice, they may have to consider it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The real game is the one the agents play using their players.

The one that makes me laugh the most is the "disrespect card" that gets played by players not getting offered what they think they're worth. They've never worked a real job and for the most part have been given a pass because they can play football. I don't respect them to begin with, that is earned as a man, not as a football player but they're so shallow that they think respect relates to what a man makes. Beckham and Brown are the two highest WR's in the game and I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire, I have 0 respect for them.

From time to time, I have to remind myself of Joe Delaney, the KC RB that gave his life trying to save three children from drowning. He's my counterweight to a sport overrun with greedy and selfish aholes……...on both sides. Joe Delaney, I respect.

I don't know coach.... I might think about pissing on Beckham or Brown.........

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
No deal means the team is robbed of the talents of one of its finest players. In my opinion, it will be a betrayal of Dallas' own "We Take Care Of Our Stars'' policy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

cowboys1985

Reaction score
Umm, because he’s trying to **** us?

Lol Seriously? Cowboys had a chance to extend Lawrence last year but decided to tag him telling him do it again and we'll lock you up long term. He did and now the Cowboys have to pay the price with the price being either:

1) Pay Lawrence market value
2) Tag Lawrence again and deal with ramifications (i.e delay tactics, hold outs and a potential Le'veon Bell situtation).
3) Trade Lawrence for draft compensation and rely on what they have plus a draft pick and maybe a FA

Whoever is saying Dallas or Lawerence is getting screwed up is making it personal. This is simply how business is done in the NFL. Every team has to deal it at some point.

Flamma

Reaction score

Wow, I forgot that name. That had to happen around 40 years ago. That was a sad day.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
God trade him please I'm over it

Just because you have no patience doesn't mean the Cowboys should cut off their nose to spite their face. Just come to grips with the reality is that their is no immediate urgency to get this deal completed. And Lawrence is locked up for at least another year, anyway. Lawrence is not gong anywhere, and when the situation finally become urgent (in mid June) the Cowboys will work things out.

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score
My slight understanding is that the FO doesn’t get along with his agent. So the agent is likely being difficult and the FO don’t want to bend for him. I wish there was a way that the 2 sides could set and talk without the agents. I know they have to be pretty close to a deal. Just guaranteed money or signing bonus amounts separate them. Heck they been working on this for 2 years now...

I would hazard a guess that they aren't very close for a couple of reasons. 1. They tried to extend him last offseason and couldn't get a deal done 2. He doesn't seem to want to play for $20m so that complicates things. 3. He is refusing to get his surgery done, so that indicates he is pulling out all the stops to get what he wants.

Verdict

Reaction score
I wouldn't, but if the two sides remain very far apart on a deal and the Cowboys can get a 1st round pick and maybe another later choice, they may have to consider it.

At some point you have to consider anything above a 3rd round pick because that's all you are going to get at the end of this if he plays on the tag this year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I would hazard a guess that they aren't very close for a couple of reasons. 1. They tried to extend him last offseason and couldn't get a deal done 2. He doesn't seem to want to play for $20m so that complicates things. 3. He is refusing to get his surgery done, so that indicates he is pulling out all the stops to get what he wants.
How much does he want I wonder..

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just because you have no patience doesn't mean the Cowboys should cut off their nose to spite their face. Just come to grips with the reality is that their is no immediate urgency to get this deal completed. And Lawrence is locked up for at least another year, anyway. Lawrence is not gong anywhere, and when the situation finally become urgent (in mid June) the Cowboys will work things out.

The delay of the surgery causes it to have some amount of urgency.

conner01

Reaction score
Well, one of these agents is going to come out on top with 3 DE's tagged and get the bragging rights and the lure for more players.

I would prefer the salaries of these players not be released, just the team payroll compared to the cap. I don't care what they're getting paid and too often that results in the dissatisfaction shown toward the player, as if we're paying his salary. This is all about the agents getting bragging rights. If they let the salary info out, de-certify them for the NFL.

The NFL, and probably all pro sports, made a mistake by making the money part of the sport. Hell, for 3 years in Dallas, Rodriguez had 250M attached to his name every time it was in print. We know it's a business but how about letting us relax in the illusion it's still a game?
I wonder just how many players actually understand their contract. A big portion of all these contracts are fluff
The highest contract may not actually get the player the most money
I Guess it means something to some players to say I got the biggest contract but for me I want the most money or good money and spend my career with my team

conner01

Reaction score
I think there is urgency to get it done or atleast be in the same ballpark so you know at some point it will get done because of the draft

Verdict

Reaction score

Yes. There is no doubt that is the case which a I guess theoretically could work to his advantage in some way, but it seems like the downside outweighs any benefit he may have from the delay.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s not going anywhere. Why are people worked up over this?

Verdict

Reaction score
I realize that in a vacuum that would be the case, but it also drives down his value to the team and himself. About the only context him refusing to get surgery makes sense is if he just does NOT want to be a Cowboy anymore.