News: BTB: Four reasons Cowboys FO is handling Dak Prescott contract correctly

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
From Blogging the Boys....

Four reasons why the Cowboys front office is handling the Dak Prescott contract situation correctly

It may be easier to find the holy grail than it is to find reasons why the Cowboys front office hasn’t signed Dak yet, but today we give it a go.

Dak Prescott enters the new season as the top ranked free agent in the league and for good reason. During his last two years, which consists of just 21 games due to his injury-shortened 2020 season, Prescott has helped the Cowboys offense rack up 9,344 total yards. That’s tops in the league during that time window.

In a league where having a good quarterback is so vital to the success of your team, the Cowboys have been extremely fortunate to see this 2016 fourth-round draft pick turn out to be as good as he is. And with so many teams struggling to find their quarterback, it only further emphasizes the importance of Prescott to this organization. That is why many fans are befuddled by the front office’s inability to get Dak signed to a long-term deal.

As more time passes, more frustration grows as it becomes more and more clear that Prescott is, without question, this team’s quarterback. Even Jerry Jones himself has come out and said, “I don’t know how you could have any more leverage,” which brings up the $40 million dollar question - why hasn’t Prescott been re-signed?

Read much more: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...the-dak-prescott-contract-situation-correctly

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting article.
On the surface, it just seems like a complete mishandling of the cap to not get his deal done already, but is that really the case? Is there a scenario we’re all missing where the front office is more on top of this than we realize?
Nope. Signing Dak 2 years ago would have cost $25M per against the cap. Now it will be closer to $40M per. That would have given the Cowboys more cap space now and even more after the new TV deals are done.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Interesting article.

Nope. Signing Dak 2 years ago would have cost $25M per against the cap. Now it will be closer to $40M per. That would have given the Cowboys more cap space now and even more after the new TV deals are done.
You didn’t read the article obviously. It’s all about the percentage. Read it, and then come back and comment.

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Regardless of the reason, Jerry fumbled this entire deal by continuing to wait until the 11th hour and prioritizing players less impactful to the organization.

I think he's pissed that Dak isn't bending over backwards to make this an easy transaction and Jerry demands that loyalty from people he employs. If you listen to Jerry discuss the extension on the radio he jokingly doesn't even sound like he cares that Dak has all the leverage.

Bottom line, Dak should take this old fool for every penny he's worth because if he couldn't field a championship team around him making 1M salary, he damn sure ain't doing it making a QB deal that equates to the current market.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This actually doesn't really cover any of the real reasons why Dak isn't signed. Pretty much a big waste of time, this piece
You didn’t read it either then. Why are people so lazy these days?

Motorola

Reaction score
1) The rolling cap window -
The 2021 cap is going to be a certain number - and it won't be the annual increase that happens every year due to lost 2020 revenue. The article puts forth that previous QBs contracts at their time equate to around 18% of the respective team's cap. Unknown obstacle #1 - what Prescott is asking for. My opinion is that what Prescott is wanting will be more than the 18% average of previous QB contracts.

2)Playing through the contract is what matters
Incorrect - it the LENGTH of the contract requested. that wiil be 'played through'
From what I have seen posted - there is unknown obstacle #2 -the divide here is that Prescott wants a shorter contract than the Cowboys want to give out so he can renegotiate after the new TV and other broadcast deals (streaming, etc.) are set. Keep reading last year Cowboys offered 5 --Prescott wanted 4. Now it's been put out there that Cowboys request 4 years but now Prescott wants 3.
Part 1 of my post. Stayed tuned for part 2.

Last edited:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
The only interesting part of the article was QBs taking up roughly 18% of the cap. I hear the cap is going to be around $180M this year. So 18-19% of that is $32-34M. Problem is that the cap went down when all the other contracts on the team expected it to continue to go up. One has to restructure numerous contracts just to fit Dak in at $32M. Over $35M and it gets harder and harder to work the numbers without risking long term competitiveness.

Jerry thinks the endorsement money that automatically comes with whoever is the Cowboy QB should be factored into the equation. I agree with Jerry. Dak gets $7-9M for endorsements by being the Cowboy QB. Sorry, he won't get that money as a Colt.

Also, the injury is another big thing none of us have any information on. We all think and hope all is well. When can he start running full speed and cutting and throwing? If not before the beginning of FA or the draft, then there will be minimal to no competition for his services. Sorry, no one is going to throw $100M guaranteed based on a best guess from a doctor. Need to see proof of running and cutting and throwing before signing him. So, Jerry is competing with himself for Dak's services right now. If Dak is not completely healthy until after FA and the draft, well the market will have dried up for QBs wanting $35-40M/year.

Hard to sign long term to $40M/yr a QB who just had a compound fracture and dislocated ankle and likely can't pass a physical at the beginning of FA.

Dak had plenty of chances to sign a fair long term contract. He did not. That is on him. Now he has to hope Jerry will cave like he did with Zeke. Big decision for Jerry. I would let Dak test the market and let me match his best offer if I so choose. Other than that, I would have to let him walk. Bottom line - no team is offering Dak more than Jerry. How much is fair to the team and best for all long term is the question.

Qcard

Reaction score
Regardless of the reason, Jerry fumbled this entire deal by continuing to wait until the 11th hour and prioritizing players less impactful to the organization.

I think he's pissed that Dak isn't bending over backwards to make this an easy transaction and Jerry demands that loyalty from people he employs. If you listen to Jerry discuss the extension on the radio he jokingly doesn't even sound like he cares that Dak has all the leverage.

Bottom line, Dak should take this old fool for every penny he's worth because if he couldn't field a championship team around him making 1M salary, he damn sure ain't doing it making a QB deal that equates to the current market.
:hammer:
I agree but Jerry is still a Rock Star!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From Blogging the Boys....

Four reasons why the Cowboys front office is handling the Dak Prescott contract situation correctly

It may be easier to find the holy grail than it is to find reasons why the Cowboys front office hasn’t signed Dak yet, but today we give it a go.

Dak Prescott enters the new season as the top ranked free agent in the league and for good reason. During his last two years, which consists of just 21 games due to his injury-shortened 2020 season, Prescott has helped the Cowboys offense rack up 9,344 total yards. That’s tops in the league during that time window.

In a league where having a good quarterback is so vital to the success of your team, the Cowboys have been extremely fortunate to see this 2016 fourth-round draft pick turn out to be as good as he is. And with so many teams struggling to find their quarterback, it only further emphasizes the importance of Prescott to this organization. That is why many fans are befuddled by the front office’s inability to get Dak signed to a long-term deal.

As more time passes, more frustration grows as it becomes more and more clear that Prescott is, without question, this team’s quarterback. Even Jerry Jones himself has come out and said, “I don’t know how you could have any more leverage,” which brings up the $40 million dollar question - why hasn’t Prescott been re-signed?

Read much more: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...the-dak-prescott-contract-situation-correctly

What a great breakdown, bro.

Motorola

Reaction score
1) The rolling cap window -
The 2021 cap is going to be a certain number - and it won't be the annual increase that happens every year due to lost 2020 revenue. The article puts forth that previous QBs contracts at their time equate to around 18% of the respective team's cap. Unknown obstacle #1 - what Prescott is asking for. My opinion is that what Prescott is wanting will be more than the 18% average of previous QB contracts.

2)Playing through the contract is what matters
Incorrect - it the LENGTH of the contract requested. that wiil be 'played through'
From what I have seen posted - there is unknown obstacle #2 -the divide here is that Prescott wants a shorter contract than the Cowboys want to give out so he can renegotiate after the new TV and other broadcast deals (streaming, etc.) are set. Keep reading last year Cowboys offered 5 --Prescott wanted 4. Now it's been put out there that Cowboys request 4 years but now Prescott wants 3.
Part 1 of my post. Stayed tuned for part 2.
Part 2 of my post.

3) No harm in waiting
This section of the BTB article is so wishy-washy, so back and forth.
Refers to valuable players added -'good pieces'- and that the OC is a keeper -'up and coming' ..and that Prescott is a positive fit with both. There's even an acknowledgement that the QB's 2nd year was a setback-- but he has improved the following two seasons. Yes, his fifth season was cut short due injury - but those first four games in 2020 Prescott was performing at a record setting pace.
Four and 1/4 quarter seasons as the starter - but still indecisive about offering a 2nd contract? (The season-ending injury giving the FO pause?)

4) The timing
This fourth reason is rendered moot by the information in its following text.
A. Broadcast rights don't expire until 2022. If the league and all existing and new parties can negotiate throughout the 2021 calendar year for deals, Prescott is going to want just a three - year deal now so renegotiatons can happen in 2024.
B. 2021 cap number will be set early February because the franchise and transition tags timeframe begin later that month.

In my opinion - the holdup is about what Prescott wants how much annually and how long - and the Cowboys holding firm that the annual is too high and the length is too short. I leave it others to put forth exact numbers. (including guaranteed money\ guaranteed on signing).
If March rolls around and no contract is agreed to - Cowboys should apply non-exclusive tag and see what shakes out during the off-season.

Last edited:

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score

How did the Eagles do with signing Wentz to his huge contract early? Wentz took that fool Lurie for every penny he could. Same with Goff. Now look at Wentz and Goff. Both overpaid and performing poorly. Both the Eagles and Rams looking for an exit strategy.

Dak's rookie year had the talent of a championship team. Didn't get it done but that was a good team. Yes, Jerry should have gotten rid of the Garrett. Good team this year too, just too many injuries.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You didn’t read the article obviously. It’s all about the percentage. Read it, and then come back and comment.
Well I read it and it was a big bag of nothing...

There is definitely a method to their madness, but we just can’t figure out what it is.

This is an assumption. He has no clue if there's any deliberate method here. Evidence points to the team completely mishandling Dak's contract. They paid two positions (RB and LB) that analytics say you don't have to pay, and they paid them two years earlier than they had to. The net difference in using the mechanisms they had (Zeke still had a 4th year under a rookie deal, as well as a 5th year option that comes with 1st round picks, Jaylon would have been a restricted free agent since he only had 3 years of service), technically could have been rolled forward unto cap room that could have gone towards a Dak extension.

Every day Dak gets more and more expensive, he literally will cost over $50M for one year if they have to tag him again in 2022.

They absolutely blew it and that's not even counting the 4 years they had to capitalize on a 4-year rookie deal for a 4th round pick.

Your heroes, Jerry and Stephen Jones? Bad at football.

cern

Reaction score
Unless we are sitting at the table with the fo and Dak/agent, we really don't know what's going on. Nothing more than speculation. Anybody's guess. Might as well just relax and let the story unfold. Then we can write about how stupid, greedy, and lacking in foresight all parties have been.

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
Just trade last names on the jerseys in Houston and here and call it a day...otherwise we have to wait and see what comes of this. How can they even pay Dak until they see how healthy he is? Whether or not we should have signed him 2 years ago doesn't matter now, so many complications right now to even guess