BTB: Heat on Linehan got turned up in Dez fallout

GenoT

Reaction score
Linehan will remain a bishop on the Cowboys’ coaching chessboard until Jerry needs to sacrifice him in order to protect Queen Garrett.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
If Dez could still play the offense wouldn’t have needed changed

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
And on Scott is where the heat should be. Frankly, I wish Garrett would go back to calling the plays

too often the formations made no sense, the over compensation for a missing Zeke and none for a missing Tyrone. And what OC would let Lucky and Dunbar leave and replace them with big slow guys? who's call was that? I imagine someone who can't spell blitz.

Yeah, maybe I'm too Xs and Os, but Dez and others have a serious point. This O coaching staff often went brain dead last year. Go back and watch the ATL and SEA games and try to convince yourself rationale people called the formations and plays.

And none of us know how much authority Dak has at the LOS, either way - that's coaching

I'm going to say this in Garrett's defense, I wish he would call the plays. The 2013 season proved to me Garrett could spread the field and score big, so did his career.

I've never liked Scott, he lacks intensity. I think Murray made him and he got super lucky with Romo and Dak. Cutting or benching much O speed was utterly stupid last year, made it harder to adapt after having geared up for less Zeke but more power running. That was dumb.

Having watched Jason play and call a lot of games ... I just feel like he didn't make those decisions, pre or during season. If he had the veto he should have used it.

Scott uses Garrett's playbook authorized by Garrett himself. Garrett is not an improvement. He would just be as bad or even worst.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
there is a lot of pressure on the head coach and his staff the quarterback and the team overall

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I’m not a Linehan fan by no means, I believe this offense needs more innovation, and hopefully his guy Kellen Moore can help with that. But I believe the reason Dez wasn’t moved around is because the coaches didn’t trust him to know all the assignments.

As described by Butler, and I think others, the offense would pigeonhole WRs as good at certain routes, and have them stick to those.

It makes some sense, but remove certain routes from the route tree, and you've made life a lot easier on the defense. They'll shade their coverage to the good routes, making them not as good.

It's obviously a trade off between running the better routes for the WR and uncertainty on defense, but it seems we went way too far in removing uncertainty on the defense.

I think Linehan himself has recently said as much, saying WRs were more "locked in" to the routes they run well last year than they plan for this year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I still feel this the lame Garretts offense that Linehan is forced to run.

I've heard rumors this year that Linehan is taking over much more control of the offense from Garrett.

I encourage less control by Garrett on gameday for everything. It would be optimal if he's not there at all.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Cutting or benching much O speed was utterly stupid last year, made it harder to adapt after having geared up for less Zeke but more power running. That was dumb.

Butler was hugely productive in his limited targets, and moreover is better built to beat press man single coverage than either Williams or Dez. He was the guy we should have been attacking what defenses were doing to us, based both on stats and theory.

And yet, that's not what we did. One of the many screw ups on offense last year.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
I’m not a Linehan fan by no means, I believe this offense needs more innovation, and hopefully his guy Kellen Moore can help with that. But I believe the reason Dez wasn’t moved around is because the coaches didn’t trust him to know all the assignments.

Many players have already stated that the cowboys don’t like to get creative as it relates to their players primarily WR’s and just force them to run plays based on strengths only. Many players have voiced routes they have run on other teams and wanted to run in Dallas but the coaches didn’t allow it.

But we continue to ignore this and live in this fairy tale world where all these individuals are just “disgruntled.”

I guarantee if Tony Romo came out himself and said there was a lack of creativity, we’d find a way to say he’s disgruntled. Oh wait, he already did when he stated in a very PC way we didn’t have anything to beat certain coverages which was frustrating for him, going on to say that “teams in the nfl eventually take away what you do best so you always have to be able to adjust week to week year to year.”

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
As described by Butler, and I think others, the offense would pigeonhole WRs as good at certain routes, and have them stick to those.

It makes some sense, but remove certain routes from the route tree, and you've made life a lot easier on the defense. They'll shade their coverage to the good routes, making them not as good.

It's obviously a trade off between running the better routes for the WR and uncertainty on defense, but it seems we went way too far in removing uncertainty on the defense.

I think Linehan himself has recently said as much, saying WRs were more "locked in" to the routes they run well last year than they plan for this year.

You beat me to it.

Butler wasn’t the only one who said this. Everyone says it. Current player former player opposing DC opposing DB.

“The cowboys aren’t hard to gameplan for. They generally run the same 3 plays. It’s just very difficult to stop.”

Again, elite talent will allow the 3 plays to work for only so long until teams adjust as Romo stated. Why do you think we can have 3 weeks off to prepare for a team and still come out the gate down 21-3?

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Improve the Offense or Linehan and JG need to go. It’s JG playbook. Consists of about a half a page book.
Fast forward another off season........there was a reason Linehan wasn't replaced when the position coaches mass exodus was in full swing.........he'll be the fall guy for Garrett next off season buying Garrett yet another year.

Cmac

Reaction score
A blind man knows the playbook....C'mon Man!