BTB: News: BTB: Cowboys Free Agent Focus 2017: What Type Of Wide Receivers Will They Be Targeting?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
usa_today_9769803.0.jpg

What free agents wide receivers are the Cowboys most likely to go after?

Last week, I looked at the last couple offseasons to see if there were any things we could identify as potential clues to how the Cowboys might operate in free agency. One thing that was observed was that the team tends to fill their biggest holes by re-signing their own players. Once the first couple positions are dealt with, free agency starts to come into play more. A simplistic model looked like this:

image_53.png

With that in mind, it led me to believe that the Cowboys will retain a good portion of their own free agents in the secondary.

Prediction: Two of them return, maybe three.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
That's a mistake IMO but there are other important needs that should be addressed first.

Well, DE and DB is much more important but we need a change at WR. Not counting Beasley as the SL then we need 4 dynamic WRs. We have Dez and I could make a case for putting Williams in there. I think Butler could be a guy but I'd rather have PNP guys. I see players like the Packers have as good to go. Garcon fits that bill. There are others.

My only reason to keep Wiliams is I don't want to gamble on a step back although I'd like to move up a bit in replacing him. So I'm ambivalent with him.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, DE and DB is much more important but we need a change at WR. Not counting Beasley as the SL then we need 4 dynamic WRs. We have Dez and I could make a case for putting Williams in there. I think Butler could be a guy but I'd rather have PNP guys. I see players like the Packers have as good to go. Garcon fits that bill. There are others.

My only reason to keep Wiliams is I don't want to gamble on a step back although I'd like to move up a bit in replacing him. So I'm ambivalent with him.

Agree, if we have to keep one.....then Williams it is. Butler seems to be too stupid(boneheaded penalties) to count on and drops quite a few easy passes. I would like to see us get a legit #2 and have TWill back them up on the outside.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Williams and/or Butler both retained IMO.
It's an unpopular opinion, but it's probably the smartest thing to do so long as the salary doesn't get crazy. IMO, Williams will probably get something similar to what Sanu got. 5 years, 32 million with 14 million guaranteed. I would love if someone like Stills hit the market, but even then it's doubtful the Cowboys would even entertain the thought of signing him.

Williams isn't flashy and isn't going to ever have a huge season. He is pretty reliable and doesn't miss games though. And if the Cowboys were to let him walk, that almost ensures that they will be spending a high pick on WR due to their recent disdain for even mid priced FAs.

I would love to have get a better WR with speed on the team from FA, but the Cowboys just don't play in that part of the pool. If they won't pony up for a DE, they definitely won't be doing so for an unknown WR.

I see you mentioned Garçon, but he's been very productive in Washington. I really don't see the Cowboys paying in the 40-45 million range for a WR, which is what I think he will get. Even with his age, he will still get a higher AAV than what I think the Cowboys are comfortable with, even if it's a shorter deal. Stills and Garcon both make the offense more deadly, but I just don't see it happening unless they don't have much of a market.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Big, fast, good hands?
I like Adams from Clemson.
If we do what be needed, we get a monster DE and Adams won't be there when we pick
IS ADAMS EVEN IN THE DRAFT???.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Agree, if we have to keep one.....then Williams it is. Butler seems to be too stupid(boneheaded penalties) to count on and drops quite a few easy passes. I would like to see us get a legit #2 and have TWill back them up on the outside.

I'd keep them both as I don't see Butler costing much in guarantees. I'd give some guarantees to Williams to keep him but not a lot. That way you can move on from Butler in camp and even Williams although I doubt that would happen.

I don't see Butler as stupid. That penalty on him was stupid. And I think he has better hands than Williams and as good as anyone but Beasley and Witten.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
It's an unpopular opinion, but it's probably the smartest thing to do so long as the salary doesn't get crazy. IMO, Williams will probably get something similar to what Sanu got. 5 years, 32 million with 14 million guaranteed. I would love if someone like Stills hit the market, but even then it's doubtful the Cowboys would even entertain the thought of signing him.

Williams isn't flashy and isn't going to ever have a huge season. He is pretty reliable and doesn't miss games though. And if the Cowboys were to let him walk, that almost ensures that they will be spending a high pick on WR due to their recent disdain for even mid priced FAs.

I would love to have get a better WR with speed on the team from FA, but the Cowboys just don't play in that part of the pool. If they won't pony up for a DE, they definitely won't be doing so for an unknown WR.

I see you mentioned Garçon, but he's been very productive in Washington. I really don't see the Cowboys paying in the 40-45 million range for a WR, which is what I think he will get. Even with his age, he will still get a higher AAV than what I think the Cowboys are comfortable with, even if it's a shorter deal. Stills and Garcon both make the offense more deadly, but I just don't see it happening unless they don't have much of a market.

Unfortunately you're probably right. I see a need to get at least one more productive WR in order to go from 26-28 PPG to over 30. It's just what is needed IMO. But I suspect you are right and we'll have to wait another year or so before going high with a WR. Maybe we'll get lucky with one in the middle rounds. Another Beasley would make this an even more difficult offense to defend. I'd be on the lookout for that.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Brandon LaFell would be a good cheap option if Williams wants Marvin Jones type contract. He had a nice season as a #2 to TJ Green. Wouldn't give more then a 3 year contract due to age though. Hes a solid route runner, solid hands and ball skills, tough to tackle. Not the burner so many want but has enough to be a deep threat.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If the boys screw around and don't address their needs without being cheap, this will be a failed year. We cannot go into next season with the same cast of characters. Just can't.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Unfortunately you're probably right. I see a need to get at least one more productive WR in order to go from 26-28 PPG to over 30. It's just what is needed IMO. But I suspect you are right and we'll have to wait another year or so before going high with a WR. Maybe we'll get lucky with one in the middle rounds. Another Beasley would make this an even more difficult offense to defend. I'd be on the lookout for that.
Having nothing behind Dez, who has his share of injury history, and Beasley who's limited to strictly a slot receiver has put them in a bit of a pickle. I don't think there's any way they go into the draft without addressing it with someone who is at least a capable starter. That's probably going to look something similar to what Williams will be looking at with the risk of being an unknown. The real question is, is someone like Garcon or Stills worth the upgrade from Williams with the additional 3 million AAV and 10-15 million guaranteed? I think so, but it doesn't matter what we think.

I think they at least bring back Butler on a 1 year deal and try to keep Williams at that 5.5-6.5 per year range. If they can keep the guarantees low, they could move on from him in 2 years with minimal implications. This would hopefully allow them to address the defense through the draft and buy them a couple of seasons before they are needing a complete revamp of the position. Anything more than that though and we probably see a lower tier FA(along with Butler) and a 2nd-3rd Rd pick spent on a WR. Even then, I'm not sure that the offense doesn't take a step back with the looming risk of a significant step back if Dez or Beasley gets hurt.

Everyone is so focused on defense, but WR needs to be addressed in some form as bad as anything on the team.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Having nothing behind Dez, who has his share of injury history, and Beasley who's limited to strictly a slot receiver has put them in a bit of a pickle. I don't think there's any way they go into the draft without addressing it with someone who is at least a capable starter. That's probably going to look something similar to what Williams will be looking at with the risk of being an unknown. The real question is, is someone like Garcon or Stills worth the upgrade from Williams with the additional 3 million AAV and 10-15 million guaranteed? I think so, but it doesn't matter what we think.

I think they at least bring back Butler on a 1 year deal and try to keep Williams at that 5.5-6.5 per year range. If they can keep the guarantees low, they could move on from him in 2 years with minimal implications. This would hopefully allow them to address the defense through the draft and buy them a couple of seasons before they are needing a complete revamp of the position. Anything more than that though and we probably see a lower tier FA(along with Butler) and a 2nd-3rd Rd pick spent on a WR. Even then, I'm not sure that the offense doesn't take a step back with the looming risk of a significant step back if Dez or Beasley gets hurt.

Everyone is so focused on defense, but WR needs to be addressed in some form as bad as anything on the team.

We are on the same page. We can get by with the same cast but IMO that is foolish. I keep repeating this but I like to keep goals simple. We need to score 30+ PPG. We did better in 14 than 16 although yes what we accomplished with Dak was amazing. Dak may improve from 26 to 30 but he'll have trouble unless we address the RZ and WR in general. We need a big guy around the GL and I thought that would be Escobar. Dak will have to pick up that slack by throwing more difficult and likely to be intercepted routes. He'll just have to do a better job. And we need at least one more proven WR even if we keep Butler and Williams. Whitehead needs to go. Not enough opportunities to make a difference and he's not dynamic enough on STs.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Dallas seriously needs a receiver other than Witten and Beasley who is capable of gaining separation on something resembling a consistent basis. Neither Dez as our #1 wideout nor Williams as our #2 receiver can claim that ability. Please don't bother to suggest Butler, either -- he's simply not the solution. Dak sorely needs a wide receiver with that ability whom he can rely upon on a consistent basis. Other top teams have one, we don't.

Last edited:

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Butler is TRASH. If that's what he offered in a contract year what does that tell you? Williams in his limited opportunities looked pretty decent, plus he's shown that when the lights come on he's a serviceable number 2.
I agree that Butler is not needed. Twill is #3 on this team and should be paid accordingly. If he is asking for anything more than #3 money, they should let him walk.

conner01

Reaction score
I think they will make offers to both. Don't think Williams will be back
I would love to upgrade the position but don't see spending FA dollars on a receiver and don't see a later rnd pick coming in a being the #2 in season one
So the question becomes how high do you take a receiver, what type of receiver do you take