News: BTB: Surprise! These five Dallas Cowboys have exceeded training camp expectations

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Even though he's a proven NFL bust Tavon Austin's talent seduces me. Jesus if that guy could ever play to his ability.

I've decided to go full positive homer on him despite my reservations.

Until the first fumble.

My hopes and fears summed up in this post also.

That fumble thingy is the focus and my big fear. One badly time/placed fumble costs a game. With our schedule we need those gimmes, not our opponents.

Verdict

Reaction score
oh please...that old fool is gonna be content to sit back in his zone D....and just let teams pick us apart. He just doesn't have the balls to play man up for 60 minutes. It's just not in his DNA. As soon as that 2 minute warning sounds...here comes the zone...and the blown leads. Not buying the hype...Sorry.:rolleyes:

Yeah I'm not a big Rod fan. He may be a good DL coach but that's pretty much it.

aikemirv

Reaction score
So we have Armstrong to thank if Green gets cut!

I like the guy even more!

aikemirv

Reaction score
Let me add there's a whole lot of revelations coming this season one that comes to mind is Dak.
Whats so perplexing is as Dak achieves the doubters become silent not even a show of support or celebration.

What has Dak achieved since the end of the season?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Anyone know the 5 guys jersey #'s??
That way we could look for them next game.

Woods = 64
Thomas = 48
Lenoir = 14
Gallup = 13
Armstrong = 74

Someone posted this and I stole it to use during preseason. Doesn't have our recent moves but it's the vast majority of the current roster.

j9fwwdho2d8lf7t6g.jpg

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Even though he's a proven NFL bust Tavon Austin's talent seduces me. Jesus if that guy could ever play to his ability.

I've decided to go full positive homer on him despite my reservations.

Until the first fumble.
Or injury.....oh, bite my tongue.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Yeah I'm not a big Rod fan. He may be a good DL coach but that's pretty much it.
He's improved the defense every year. Made them go from historically one of the worst defenses of all time to almost average in one year and has improved on that.

It'd be nice to hear as to why anyone thinks Rod is strictly only good for DL? Because nothing seems to back up that fact.

Verdict

Reaction score
He's improved the defense every year. Made them go from historically one of the worst defenses of all time to almost average in one year and has improved on that.

It'd be nice to hear as to why anyone thinks Rod is strictly only good for DL? Because nothing seems to back up that fact.

Gee, I don't know. Maybe the fact that his defenses have consistently under performed? Or that if Sean Lee goes out the team folds up like a cheap lawn chair. Wait! I know! He insists on calling a prevent defense that is totally ineffective, even though the defense has played ok in the normal defense up to that point, costing us the game? Yeah. That's some of the reasons for that.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Gee, I don't know. Maybe the fact that his defenses have consistently under performed? Or that if Sean Lee goes out the team folds up like a cheap lawn chair. Wait! I know! He insists on calling a prevent defense that is totally ineffective, even though the defense has played ok in the normal defense up to that point, costing us the game? Yeah. That's some of the reasons for that.

Underperformed? Says who? Lmao. In 2014 the Cowboys were coming off one of the worst defensive performances of all time and then they lost Sean Lee for the year. Rod made them a respectable defense. Your underperformed comment is quite laughable.

Use facts, not opinions.

Losing a top 4 defensive player in the league will kill any defense. Look at the Steelers without Shazier who isnt in the same league as Lee. You must not like Richard then because his defense went down the drain when Earl got injured.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
5. Antwaun Woods, DT

Huge. 1T was a consensus problem. If Woods is a solid run 1T, we can let Collins have some rest. More, if he's better, we can move Collins to 3T for more plays when we want to boost run defense. And do it during the first 4 games with Irving out.

Big Big Big.

4. Joe Thomas, LB

Great to have quality veteran depth at LB. Keeps a solid solid rotation at LB even with an injury to Smith/LVE/Lee.

3. Lance Lenoir, WR

Nice to have solid depth at WR, but it's hard to see him making the roster. And every year, there's the PS WR who gets hype in camp but never pans out. I'm thinking PS still. Maybe we lose him to another team, but we've got too many WRs as is.

2. Michael Gallup, WR

Fantastic to have Gallup exceeding expectations. We need long term starters at WR. Sounds like he's on track, maybe late this year, maybe next year. But soon to be a solid contributor to multi WR sets.

1. Dorance Armstrong, DE

With Gregory coming back, and Armstrong shining, all of a sudden we have two true RDEs to develop. Probably the most important position on the defense, and we've got 3 young ones to develop on their rookie contracts, plus Lawrence play like an All Pro on the opposite side.

All of a sudden DE is looking like a position of strength to years to come, and most on their rookie contracts.

We could even not sign Lawrence next year, and still have a deep and talented rotation.

Management MVP: McClay

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Woods = 64
Thomas = 48
Lenoir = 14
Gallup = 13
Armstrong = 74

Someone posted this and I stole it to use during preseason. Doesn't have our recent moves but it's the vast majority of the current roster.
Thanks Marcus.
I will try to watch for these guys in the game this sat and the next game.
Although sometimes it is hard to see what number a guy is, especially the long hair dudes, they need special jerseys with the # down by the waist!

DandyDon52

Reaction score

That is spinning, lol the defense went that historically bad only after he was hired ! him and the old guy were the co DC's
Then they turned it over to Rod and put the other guy up in the booth.
Rod does a good job in some areas, but is lacking in other areas.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I'm just so thankful Antwuan Woods didn't fit the Titans' hybrid 3-4 scheme and they cut him.

And I have to credit the Cowboys' scouting department for scooping him up. Not saying he's going to be a star for us, but he's been a big surprise at a position of need.

robbieruff

Reaction score
Gotta say that so far it's been a positive camp overall.

The Cowboys seem to have a better team than what I had thought heading into camp.
BTW - I always meant to tell you...one of my close childhood friends was one of Groucho Marx's great grandchildren (mother's side)...every time I see your posts, it reminds me of our incessant imitating of the Marx Brothers back in those days...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BTW - I always meant to tell you...one of my close childhood friends was one of Groucho Marx's great grandchildren (mother's side)...every time I see your posts, it reminds me of our incessant imitating of the Marx Brothers back in those days...

Really?

That's pretty cool!

Verdict

Reaction score
Underperformed? Says who? Lmao. In 2014 the Cowboys were coming off one of the worst defensive performances of all time and then they lost Sean Lee for the year. Rod made them a respectable defense. Your underperformed comment is quite laughable.

Use facts, not opinions.

Losing a top 4 defensive player in the league will kill any defense. Look at the Steelers without Shazier who isnt in the same league as Lee. You must not like Richard then because his defense went down the drain when Earl got injured.

We will have to disagree, my friend. The game appears to have passed Marinelli by.