News: BTB: Surprise! These five Dallas Cowboys have exceeded training camp expectations

windjc

Reaction score
I am not so concerned about our pass rush. Its the run defense that went from #1 in the league in 2016 to one of the worst in 2017. Not sure what happened there, but if we can't stop the run, then getting 50 sacks won't matter much.

kskboys

Reaction score
I am not so concerned about our pass rush. Its the run defense that went from #1 in the league in 2016 to one of the worst in 2017. Not sure what happened there, but if we can't stop the run, then getting 50 sacks won't matter much.
The loss of TMacClain at 1 tech was just so much bigger than any of us could've imagined.

Another factor, we were scoring in 2016, so teams were playing from behind, which means more passing. How much difference in YPC?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The loss of TMacClain at 1 tech was just so much bigger than any of us could've imagined.

Another factor, we were scoring in 2016, so teams were playing from behind, which means more passing. How much difference in YPC?

The problem was only partially due to McClain leaving.

Keep in mind the Cowboy's choice for the #1 DT to replace McClain had a big-time injury problem and had to retire during the season– That was the real problem because it forced Collins to the #1 DT spot and he's not strong enough to hold the spot.

This year is appears both Woods and Price have some capability to hold the #1 spot allowing Collins to move back to the #3 DT spot.

With J. Smith return to good health and some talent infusion from the draft & free agency, I think the defense vs. the run will be more than adequate.