News: BTB: The Dallas Cowboys didn’t “blow up” the roster even if some observers think so

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yup, they are. Unless we freak out and start drafting and trading for CB's and WR's again, we are on the right track. Still need that difference maker at DT.

Yep and either another playmaking corner or FS.

Flamma

Reaction score
Same roster will end the 2022 season with the same 2021 results. One and done AT BEST!

That's what it looks like to me based on the effort. They didn't do anything to lead anyone to believe the results would be different. At best I can see a wildcard playoff game. They could win or lose that, but I don't see getting past the Divisional round. Or at worst around .500 for the season.

Bates

Reaction score
No way to spin this offseason into a positive. Sorry.

doesn’t look positive now, but who knows. I could see a scenario where our top 2 picks outplay who they replaced and we possibly get some production from Tolbert. Then hope for continued growth by the defense. Did we even upgrade 1 position via free agency?

DanA

Reaction score
The last 5 years or so we've addressed the 1 tech issue with JAG's and it does my head in. I can live with all the other moves, just spend some money or draft capital on a fat dude in the middle and we'd be golden.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Everyone says look at what the Rams are doing. But you look back 3 years ago and what did the Rams do? They not only went sideways, they actually went backwards.

Had to get out from a few bad contracts including Todd Gurley. Not much different then our situation with Zeke. McVay knew he had to restructure the team and get rid of both Gurley and Goff and find a QB. Took them 3 years to do all that and it wasnt going up every year. They took a step back in order to restructure and get the right pieces they needed for the run. Now they are on the run.

That's after they went to the Super Bowl, though. I'm perfectly fine stepping sideways or even backward if what we do now gets us to the Super Bowl. We're stepping sideways or even backward from a first-round playoff exit. To get to the Super Bowl, though, you've got to do the things that cause you to step forward. We didn't do anything in free agency that clearly says we took a step forward.

kskboys

Reaction score
Other than using 1st round capital, I think they have tried at DT....with a 2nd and two 3rds. Well, other than the unthinkable....sign a quality FA.

Nevermind lol.
Only on one DT spot. The other is generally addressed in the 5th or later or grabbing a UFA.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's after they went to the Super Bowl, though. I'm perfectly fine stepping sideways or even backward if what we do now gets us to the Super Bowl. We're stepping sideways or even backward from a first-round playoff exit. To get to the Super Bowl, though, you've got to do the things that cause you to step forward. We didn't do anything in free agency that clearly says we took a step forward.

Yah, they went to the SB and McVay made the correct analysis that the team wasnt built right.

And NO, every year isnt always a step forward. Thats the whole point. There are things we took a step forward in during the offseason. Things we had to do. Some just either cant see it or dont care to see it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yah, they went to the SB and McVay made the correct analysis that the team wasnt built right.

And NO, every year isnt always a step forward. Thats the whole point. There are things we took a step forward in during the offseason. Things we had to do. Some just either cant see it or dont care to see it.
So, he got a QB, a monstrous NT who disrupts, and a nasty pass rusher in von Miller. And incidentally made sure they had S's who could play. CB play is negated if your S's suck.

quickccc

Reaction score
The last 5 years or so we've addressed the 1 tech issue with JAG's and it does my head in.
I can live with all the other moves, just spend some money or draft capital on a fat dude in the middle and we'd be golden.

Our best chance for a quality 1 tech - under the Stephen Jones regime- is to hope we somehow hit the hidden gem with these low-regarded, late round pick guys
or undrafted rookies, and street vet FAs.

And even then, it's a great chance that if they do emerge and become elite run stuffers, ..Stephen has such low regards for the 1 tech role, he much rather chase another
hidden gem, than re-sign that elite 1 tech guy,..imo.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Name one clear step forward. Not a maybe step, but one where we absolutely know that the team improved.

The only one to me is first-round pick Tyler Smith as a guard, but like the guard we let go, he had holding problems in college. We hope that he clears that up, but there's no guarantee of it.

Did we step forward trading Cooper and letting Wilson go and replacing them with Washington and a third-round pick? Washington's career doesn't support that and you certainly never know how a third-round pick is going to turn out.

Did we step forward letting Gregory go and replacing him with Fowler and Williams? Gregory was certainly a better player than Fowler last year, and again, you never know how a second-round pick is going to turn out. We've had some very good ones and some very bad ones.

Did we step forward with letting Kazee and Neal go? Maybe, but at this point, we can't be certain.

Did we step forward cutting Collins? Maybe, but at this point, we can't be certain.

We let go of proven players and replaced them with uncertainties. Those are not steps forward until proven.

McVay built a team using trades, free agency and the draft to reach the Super Bowl, and when that team took a step back from that goal, he rebuilt it using trades, free agency and the draft. Acquiring Jalen Ramsey was a clear step forward. Acquiring Matthew Stafford was a clear step forward. Adding Von Miller. Not everything was a step forward, but they fired enough shots to hit on what was needed to win.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Name one clear step forward. Not a maybe step, but one where we absolutely know that the team improved.

The only one to me is first-round pick Tyler Smith as a guard, but like the guard we let go, he had holding problems in college. We hope that he clears that up, but there's no guarantee of it.

Did we step forward trading Cooper and letting Wilson go and replacing them with Washington and a third-round pick? Washington's career doesn't support that and you certainly never know how a third-round pick is going to turn out.

Did we step forward letting Gregory go and replacing him with Fowler and Williams? Gregory was certainly a better player than Fowler last year, and again, you never know how a second-round pick is going to turn out. We've had some very good ones and some very bad ones.

Did we step forward with letting Kazee and Neal go? Maybe, but at this point, we can't be certain.

Did we step forward cutting Collins? Maybe, but at this point, we can't be certain.

We let go of proven players and replaced them with uncertainties. Those are not steps forward until proven.

McVay built a team using trades, free agency and the draft to reach the Super Bowl, and when that team took a step back from that goal, he rebuilt it using trades, free agency and the draft. Acquiring Jalen Ramsey was a clear step forward. Acquiring Matthew Stafford was a clear step forward. Adding Von Miller. Not everything was a step forward, but they fired enough shots to hit on what was needed to win.

-They clearly improved with the salary cap getting rid of overpriced veterans they needed to move on from. They are in great shape moving forward over the next few years. Zeke the only remaining bad contract.

-They improved in restructuring the roster from areas of over abundance, WR, to areas of need. Defense/Oline

-They improved by replacing those aging veterans with young talent. (How much of an improvement, we dont know yet.

-They improved getting more of the type of players that they want. Tough, reliable. Moving on from poor leaders, head cases, guys that done always play. Collins, Cooper, Gregory.

-I personally am confident they improved at guard going from Williams to Smith

-As far as Kneal and Kazee, those guys didnt do much of anything. I will take Hooker and Cox over those two. Then we can also look forward to the other LSU linebacker we got in the 5th round that is hurt. I think we come out on top there.