News: BTB: There is a new documentary out about Tony Romo and it is well worth your time

ArtClink

Reaction score
Nice guy, had moments of greatness but ultimately he didn’t get us to the nfc championship game (and don’t talk to me about his defenses sucked). Jerry paid him like he was Peyton Manning but got less than Danny White results. IMO Romo is the most overrated, pro sports player in Dallas history. Romo like all other Dallas QBs played under the head coach Jones system which has failed to produce any hint of a deep playoff run in almost three decades.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Still honestly believe if he played for a real organization he would have won a superbowl if not gone to a couple.
Never would have happened. He had as good an opportunity as it gets with Dallas and he always came up small when it mattered most.

Romo's issue was his mind set and it was never the correct one for a run.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Nice guy, had moments of greatness but ultimately he didn’t get us to the nfc championship game (and don’t talk to me about his defenses sucked). Jerry paid him like he was Peyton Manning but got less than Danny White results. IMO Romo is the most overrated, pro sports player in Dallas history. Romo like all other Dallas QBs played under the head coach Jones system which has failed to produce any hint of a deep playoff run in almost three decades.
No question he is the most overrated Cowboys player ever and by a wide margin.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Romo is one of my favorite Cowboys because he epitomized hard work and meritocracy. He went from an free agent with little chance to winning the respect of one of the most hard-nosed coaches in the business to becoming a very good QB and student of the game who owned most Cowboys passing records when he retired despite being on some badly coached teams lacking in talent in the trenches until it was too late for him.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Romo is one of my favorite Cowboys because he epitomized hard work and meritocracy. He went from an free agent with little chance to winning the respect of one of the most hard-nosed coaches in the business to becoming a very good QB and student of the game who owned most Cowboys passing records when he retired despite being on some badly coached teams lacking in talent in the trenches until it was too late for him.
I really admired Romo in the beginning and I loved his rise to fame. Early on he worked hard but as the contracts kept getting bigger and as he became a bigger NFL star, he started to believe he was an elite QB and started working less and he started showing up to training camp overweight. He figured out that he became Jerry’s adopted son so he could do no wrong and as long as he was cool w Jerry he didn’t have to work hard (lose weight), etc.

While there are seasons where the defense might not have been elite, there were Super Bowl caliber defenses that he played with, that Parcells created but Romo was more interested in doing supermodels than focusing on winning playoff games. And I can’t overstate how heralded he became to some fans for accomplishing so little in the post season.

bigE79

Reaction score
Never would have happened. He had as good an opportunity as it gets with Dallas and he always came up small when it mattered most.

Romo's issue was his mind set and it was never the correct one for a run.
Was it Romo that told crayton to stop running? Was it Romo that made the refs call the dez catch incomplete?

mmohican29

Reaction score
Good QB, even better person...

But let's not act like he didn't choke 4 or 5x.

When he finally had it all together upstairs- his back failed him from a real run @ the Super Bowl. I feel if Tony was a touch more committed in the off-season to his conditioning: he could have had the career Brees did.

Boysdaboys

Reaction score
If one play goes another way, we are having a different conversation.

If Crayton doesn't drop that pass with 15 seconds left

The bobbled snap

If Dez caught it. Granted, GB still would have had lots of time to score. But it would have been nice to find out.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Was it Romo that told crayton to stop running? Was it Romo that made the refs call the dez catch incomplete?
I almost replied to one of those posts, but decided it really isn't worth the effort. Those who don't like Romo are not going to change their minds at this point.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo may be my favorite Cowboys QB. I grew up with Staubach, but I was a kid for a lot of his heyday and really don't remember much more than I see on NFL Films, which is awesome stuff, mind you. I liked the efficiency and accuracy of Aikman, but I can't say his personality ever did much for me. Romo just seemed like a guy who enjoyed playing football. He embodied the kid in all of us who just enjoys the game. He didn't get any hardware that we want our team and players to get. He wasn't the best to ever play the position (although he was better than a lot give him credit for being). He just seemed like an all-around good guy who was living his best life, whether it was dating singers, going to Cabo with his friends, wearing his hat backward, helping a couple on the side of the road change a tire, taking a homeless man to the movies ...

I think that's why so many fans (even beyond our team) enjoy/enjoyed him as an announcer. He's not polished, he doesn't have a perfect voice, he's just a guy who seems to be enjoying the game. I think that's also why he started getting some criticism as an announcer, because he didn't seem to be enjoying it as much. I enjoy hearing his knowledge of the game as well as his enthusiasm at times.
This really nails it.
Thanks

DFWJC

Reaction score
If one play goes another way, we are having a different conversation.

If Crayton doesn't drop that pass with 15 seconds left

The bobbled snap

If Dez caught it. Granted, GB still would have had lots of time to score. But it would have been nice to find out.
Very Blessed, but also very snakebit

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Romo was the only reason all those 8-8 Garrett teams weren't 3-13.

By the time the Cowboys surrounded him with enough talent his body gave out on him.

Real tragic that Romo's career won't be remembered for the reasons it really should be.:starspin: