News: BTB: What The Heck Were The Cowboys Coaches Thinking On Giants Final Drive?

NewsBot

Reaction score
usa-today-8291270.0.jpg

You have to question the strategy of a team that won’t adjust and take chances based on the situation.

Rod Marinelli gets about as much respect as any Cowboys coach, not just from Dallas fans, but around the league. It’s deserved, too, as he consistently creates more from the Cowboys defense than their roster-talent would indicate is possible. So taking shots at him, and by extension Jason Garrett for allowing what happened to happen, is painful. But this can’t go unchallenged. The Cowboys were out-coached on the Giants final drive that killed three minutes off the clock, and it’s all because the Cowboys were unwilling to alter a basic scheme on defense based on the context of the game.

When the Cowboys punted the ball back to the Giants with 3:57 left on the clock in the fourth quarter, the Giants led 20-19. It’s hard to believe that anybody wasn’t thinking that the Giants were going to try and run the ball. They were either going to run out the clock on the ground, or at the very least they were going to force the Cowboys to burn their timeouts.

The Giants had a fair amount of success running the ball up the middle on the Cowboys throughout the evening, Shane Vereen had gouged them for runs of 10 and nine yards on the Giants previous drive, the touchdown drive. It wasn’t a mystery what they were going to try. Yet the Cowboys played it like it was the middle of the second quarter instead of the end of the game.

They let the Giants dictate the terms of their defense with the personnel groupings, instead of going to a run-heavy defense and daring the Giants to throw the ball. Let me illustrate in pictures.

First and 10 at the Giants 23-yard line. The Giants come out in 11 personnel and line up in the shotgun. They are obviously trying to disguise the fact they’re going to run the ball by showing what is usually a passing formation. Unbelievably, the Cowboys buy it and line up their personnel to match like it’s the middle of the second quarter.

Drive%20Play%201.jpg

[content shortened by staff]

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
It's easy to second guess everyone and everything the day after but there does appear to be a trend. I'll give the Cowboys (offensive and defensive schemes/concepts) three more weeks before I start calling for heads to roll.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
The Cowboys spent 2014 punishing teams for going cover 2 nickel against their 11 offense...some of those teams with beefier front 6 than the Cowboys....and yet that's the approach they took this game?

At the very least, should have had Byron Jones play deep center and brought church into the box.

I noticed that Jones played few snaps...I wonder if they feel he needs to develop more.

Dre11

Reaction score
What is his point? You have to match, you're playing a veteran Super Bowl Qb, the moment you bring those guys down , they beat you over the top for a 1st or Td. Game over.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There were a series of nickname miscommunications on that series. It'll get cleaned up. We just have to stick together. We-Fense.

John813

Reaction score
On the first play, the analysis makes perfect sense, why not have Jones act as a corner so we could go with 3 linebackers?

I feel Rod will be the scapegoat this year if we don't make the playoffs.

dfense

Reaction score
It's easy to second guess everyone and everything the day after but there does appear to be a trend. I'll give the Cowboys (offensive and defensive schemes/concepts) three more weeks before I start calling for heads to roll.
And when Dallas brings in another linebacker, the Giants bring in another receiver so.....

Reaction score
It was a pick your poison situation. Go light on coverage and you can bet Eli would have targeted Beckham, Cruz or Shephard for a big gain.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I'm still shocked Wilcox lowered the boom and made that final stop, even though he had to sprint 15 yds...

John813

Reaction score
I'm still shocked Wilcox lowered the boom and made that final stop, even though he had to sprint 15 yds...

Well, that's the one nice thing about Wilcox. He goes for the big hits. Luckily, he connected on that crucial 3rd down play.

Tobal

Reaction score
usa-today-8291270.0.jpg

You have to question the strategy of a team that won’t adjust and take chances based on the situation.

What were they thinking?

Continue reading...

Great thread, I think at this stage you have to leave your base D in, of they beat you deep... oh well. I hate a slow death and after last years leaving time on the clock. I doubt they throw the ball on first or second down.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Jones played a good deal of corner last year so you can have him roll to cover the open receiver allowing you to bring Church into the box. Not like Church is going to help much in the passing game anyways. And like was stated, if they burn you and score you still have time to go down the field for a TD and 2-pt to attempt to tie.